Is the R3 Track worthy for newbie trackday rider? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is the R3 Track worthy for newbie trackday rider?

dallasmcmahon

Hello,

I am looking at getting an R3 soon to upgrade from my 250 enduro since my dad will be taking it over. I have decided that I'd rather upgrade my riding skills then to upgrade bikes significantly. I've seen many people ride 250s and upgrade to 600+cc bikes thinking that they have mastered the 250 to its full potential. I've come to realize id rather be the type of person that can say I can confidently ride on a race track rather then I own a 600cc bike for 20% of its potential.

Anyway to continue on with my question, I'm really looking into getting an R3 soon. I was wondering what everyone thinks of them as a occasion track day toy. I will mostly be riding street, but I want to learn how to ride better in the upcoming seasons. Would you consider bringing an R3 to the track a few times a year to improve your riding abilities? I was also planning to take track courses as well.

Background info:
Riding for a 3rd season now
20 yr old
Season 1: cbr 250
Season 2/3: crf 250
Never seen a track before
Will be living in waterloo again starting September (wheres your recommended track?)

Thanks for the info

Dallas

Look into Racer5. It's held by Grand Bend (1.3 hours away according to Google Maps). They start you on a 125, teach you the basics, and you'll have a lot of fun.

Make your decision after that. Also, a used 250 would be adequate and probably cheaper to crash lol

If you can get aftermarket bodywork for it, I say go for it. You sound like the type of person who already has a good idea about what's going on and where you want to go as a rider. If you can afford it, do it up. Alternatively you might be able to find a used low CC track bike, and consider getting a naked or something a little comfier for the street.

Back
Top Bottom