Stateless | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stateless

Applying and gaining Canadian citizenship is one thing. He never applied...either on his own or thru his parents.

He wouldn't be eligible anyway due to his criminal history. It would be a waste of his own, and our, money to process the application.

I thought if you were born here you were automatically Canadian,

Don't remember the actual legislation but they started plugging that hole. The other one they just fixed is instant OHIP, mommy gets off the plane at YYZ, flying 8 3/4 months pregnant and delivers in TO based hospital and new baby gets instant OHIP...... Oh its a complicated pregnancy and little baby x needs a 100k heart operation?? wow we had no idea, the clinic in Delhi never mentioned a concern.....

He's working our system, and we are paying for his lawyer. His parents must be so proud. Notice after working in Canada they didn't go back to India.
You're not supposed to be able to fly that close to your due date. Part of the reasoning for that is to prevent the scenario you just mentioned.

Or at least I heard that somewhere. Maybe it was BS.

Last edited:
He wouldn't be eligible anyway due to his criminal history. It would be a waste of his own, and our, money to process the application.

Now, yes. Had he done it earlier/before crime we would definitely be stuck with him. As it is now I'd consider him Indian.

Now, yes. Had he done it earlier/before crime we would definitely be stuck with him. As it is now I'd consider him Indian.

Then lets build him a house and set him up with a monthly cash band payment.............. oh sorry, wrong Indian again.........

At one point the Canadian govt owed Natives. But for so long now they have had opportunities to better themselves and get out of the rut. Use the resources, get educated and move off the reserve. Many have. Unfortunately it's easier for many to stay and just collect. At least that's my limited understanding of the situation. My parents came here, worked very hard to provide and did alright.

As for the passport: wasn't that already deemed a mistake and rescinded?

At one point the Canadian govt owed Natives. But for so long now they have had opportunities to better themselves and get out of the rut. Use the resources, get educated and move off the reserve. Many have. Unfortunately it's easier for many to stay and just collect. At least that's my limited understanding of the situation. My parents came here, worked very hard to provide and did alright.

As for the passport: wasn't that already deemed a mistake and rescinded?

Re the natives, until around 1950 they didn't have the legal right to challenge the government so the history of mistreatment is still being felt. Immigrants fared better. Immigrants didn't have their children sent to residential schools of abuse to be brainwashed, forbidden to speak in their own language.

However in the real world the aboriginals are going to have a difficult time. Going back 2 or 3 centuries and living off the land, long houses, pemmican, herbal medicines etc isn't going to work in the 21st century. There are limited job opportunities for them if they stick with stereotypical jobs but I'm pretty sure they don't want to give up TV, cars, central heat.

The average aboriginal has been screwed by business, the government, religion and even many of their own chiefs. Unscramble that egg.

We still owe them but sad to say I hope they aren't holding their breath.

Reading more about this case, this is what one if the judges wisely wrote:

Justice David Stratas, writing for the panel, said Budlakoti “must first try to obtain citizenship from the Indian and Canadian authorities. Those avenues have been practically and legally available to him for years. Yet he has refrained from pursuing them.”

Obviously, this guy will not apply for Canadian citizenship (because he knows he most likely won't get it, because of his criminal record).

And he won’t apply for Indian citizenship (because he knows he may get it, and then he can be extradited). Basically he knows the outcome, and he is playing the system.

Some of our diplomatic appointments have been outstanding and some are barely explainable.

Back
Top Bottom