Stateless | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stateless

RockerGuy

Banned
Site Supporter
Discuss...

MONTREAL — A man who has been convicted of trafficking drugs and weapons and who has no citizenship from any country is expected to learn on Thursday whether he can have his release conditions relaxed.

Deepan Budlakoti, 25, asked a member of the Immigration and Refugee Board on Monday to ease the restrictions of his release because he says they are psychologically harmful and violate his constitutional rights.
Budlakoti says he is not an official citizen of any country and is considered a "non-status" person living in Canada.
Court documents state he was born in Ottawa in 1989 to Indian parents who worked for Indian High Commission officials. He was not granted automatic citizenship.
The federal government in 2011 declared Budlakoti inadmissible to remain in Canada after he was sentenced to more than three years in prison after being convicted of breaking and entering, weapons and drug trafficking, as well as the illegal possession of a firearm.
Ottawa tried to have him deported but in 2013 Indian officials refused to give him a travel permit because they did not recognize him as an Indian citizen, according to court documents.
He was released from detention by the Canada Border Services Agency in 2013 and remains free in Ottawa under certain conditions.
Budlakoti asked an immigration officer Monday to remove several of his release conditions including that he report to a CBSA officer every three months and "be of good behaviour and keep the peace."
Robert Gervais, a spokesman with the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, said Budlakoti argued that his conditions make it difficult to participate in protests.
"(Budlakoti) said today (Monday) that he has participated in 14 or so demonstrations — supporting his cause and case and immigration issues — but always with the presence of his lawyer," Gervais said.
Budlakoti argues the condition to "be of good behaviour and keep the peace" violates his rights because it prevents him from fully being able to assemble in public.
In 2011, the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada rejected Budlakoti's request to be declared a Canadian citizen.
He applied to have that decision reviewed by the Federal Court of Canada but lost at that level and then at the Federal Court of Appeal this past May.
The appeals court ruled that Budlakoti is not legally a "stateless person," as he claims, because he has not officially applied for citizenship in either Canada or India.
In an interview, Budlakoti said he "has no reason" to formally apply for Canadian citizenship because he is already Canadian.
He said the passport he was issued proves the government recognizes his citizenship.
The Federal Court ruled that the passport was issued in error.
Budlakoti says there is an active deportation order against him but since there is no country to send him to, he can't go anywhere.
"Canada can't execute the deportation order," he said, adding he is currently appealing to the Supreme Court of Canada.
"They can't force me to leave the country," he said.
An immigration board member is expected to decide Thursday whether to relax Budlakoti's restrictions.
The Canada Border Services Agency opposes any easing of his release conditions.
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/natio...ts-changes-to-conditions/ar-AAcVMfQ?ocid=iehp

Add to the discussion "Anchor children" where immigrant visitors arrive or get pregnant here opening the door for permanent status.

Also look up "Lost Canadians". People born in Canada to Canadian parents but who lost their citizenship because the parents moved to another country. It took decades for them to fix that FU.

Where has the guy lived for the last 25 years?

Personally he doesn't deserve to live here but he should get the rights of an anchor child, whatever they are or were.

He has no status, is not a CDN citizen and got here as a result of parents working in the Indian high commission. And argues his sentence violates his constitutional rights. What constitution would be his?????

He has displayed no chractersics that would make him welcome.

I really have no idea what to do with these guys (there is quite a few actually) but plugging the holes in the system that creates this is first.

We issued a passport to a NON Canadian and cant figure out why the world sees us as a liability on security measures.......

Unfortunatly the Indians are smarter than us on this one, they don't want him either.

Unfortunatly the Indians are smarter than us on this one, they don't want him either.
Ha-ha, that made me LoL. He is not stateless, in my opinion he is Indian. He is also a convicted criminal, and more obviously, he is trying to exploit loopholes in our system.

The CBC reports:
"When Budlakoti was born in Ottawa in 1989, his parents were both Indian nationals working for the Indian High Commission.

In 1992, Budlakoti's parents were granted permanent resident status. They applied for citizenship for themselves but not for their son. Their application was accepted.

According to court documents, Budlakoti was convicted in 2009 of breaking and entering and sentenced to four months in jail. He was considered a permanent resident of Canada at that time.

In 2010, he was convicted of weapons trafficking, possession of a firearm and drug trafficking and was sentenced to three years in jail."

Put him on an Indian reserve?

So I should burn my Canadian Passport since my parents were born in Portugal?

In regards to his citizenship Canada gave him a passport (they screwed up) so he should be given Citizenship and they will have to.

In regards to his rights being taken away when he is asked to "be of good behavior and keep the peace" what a pile of crap, if he can't behave and keep the peace he should be put in jail.

..and 3 months for breaking and entering and 3 years for weapons trafficking, possession of a firearm and drug trafficking, damn I have got worse punishment from girlfriends for miss behaving
Indian parents, Indian citizen.

Last edited:
I read some where that Luka Magnotta is is on some dating website looking for a boyfriend, maybe we can set them up, then we won't have to worry about him much longer.

I read some where that Luka Magnotta is is on some dating website looking for a boyfriend, maybe we can set them up, then we won't have to worry about him much longer.
Problem solved.
/thread

I thought if you were born here you were automatically Canadian, regardless of why your parents are here. If he was born IN the Indian embassy it would be different as that would count as being born on Indian soil, which would make him Indian.

Bill C-51 will make protesters labelled as terrorists, anyway, and then he won't be able to protest anymore so just wait a bit and that problem solves itself.

I thought if you were born here you were automatically Canadian,

Don't remember the actual legislation but they started plugging that hole. The other one they just fixed is instant OHIP, mommy gets off the plane at YYZ, flying 8 3/4 months pregnant and delivers in TO based hospital and new baby gets instant OHIP...... Oh its a complicated pregnancy and little baby x needs a 100k heart operation?? wow we had no idea, the clinic in Delhi never mentioned a concern.....

He's working our system, and we are paying for his lawyer. His parents must be so proud. Notice after working in Canada they didn't go back to India.

Applying and gaining Canadian citizenship is one thing. He never applied...either on his own or thru his parents.

I thought if you were born here you were automatically Canadian, regardless of why your parents are here. If he was born IN the Indian embassy it would be different as that would count as being born on Indian soil, which would make him Indian.
Yes, but... it is not like that for diplomats. "Under Canadian law, citizenship by birth DOESN'T APPLY to people whose parents were in Canada as diplomats or representatives of a foreign government, or whose parents were employed by such a person, at the time of their birth."

He received a Canadian Passport, thus the government now is saying in error so the logical conclusion is that he did appy.

What the article says is that his parents never applied for him when they processed their own application which was accepted.
Applying and gaining Canadian citizenship is one thing. He never applied...either on his own or thru his parents.

Yes, but... it is not like that for diplomats. "Under Canadian law, citizenship by birth DOESN'T APPLY to people whose parents were in Canada as diplomats or representatives of a foreign government, or whose parents were employed by such a person, at the time of their birth."

With more info now it seems the only problem is that India doesn't want him any more than he wants India. The Canadian passport IMO doesn't mean anything. Don't new Canadians have a right to them and we have the right to deport when appropriate? Not sure of the fine points.

There was a movie about some guy that ended up living at an airport due to a government coup IIRC. Based on a true story?

I thought there might be something like that.

Back
Top Bottom