Anyone rent uhauls for trackdays? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone rent uhauls for trackdays?

jdavids1

Hey Guys

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with renting Uhauls for trackdays.

I did one trackday at TMP last year but I rode there on my GS500. I was hoping to do 1 - 2 or so this year, maybe go to the track school at TMP on Aug 1. However I have a ford fusion so it's not really the ideal towing vehicle.

Anyway I was just seing if anyone has any advice on renting a truck for trackdays, I assume it has the be the F150 since I don't think you're really allowed to put a bike in one of the enclosed trucks (but I could be wrong I don't really know).

Thanks

James

If you're going to do more trackdays it might be worthwhile to get a hitch installed on the Fusion and then you can rent one of the Uhaul motorcycle trailers. Fusion will tow it no problem. In the long run that will be cheaper.

Here is the trailer...

r6_on_uhaul_trailer_left.jpg

I'm with Caboose.
I use the U Haul motorcycle trailer every time, really easy to load up on your own & is easy to tow, even with something like a Fusion.
Cheap too, $14.00 a day although you do have the initial outlay for the hitch which was $350 fitted & working on my minivan

My first season in track and Uhaul was the most economical and practical situation for me.

I found trailer and wiring harness for cheap on Kijiji and got a mechanic to set it up (Some hitches require no drilling holes and if so just do it yourself).

$15 a day from Uhaul all summer long.

I don't have any room at my house so owning a trailer was not a a practical option. Besides, I think I'd rather buy an enclosed trailer when I'm read for it.

My Camry is rated at 2000lbs and handles everything with no problem. Who knew a sedan can tow so effortlessly.

The U-Haul motorcycle trailer is a great option whether you rent a truck or install a hitch on your car.

Since we are on the subject of towing; I bought a '15 wrx. Although Subaru does not recommend towing there are hitch manufacturers that make them. I searched endlessly on Subaru formns for any info on towing capacity but found none. Some owners do have a hitch for bicycles but haven't seen the new wrx/sti tow any motorcycle trailer. I searched and even contacted UK as the English tow just about anything, and they too said my car was not intended for towing. Anyone here owns a newer wrx/sti that has come across this issue?
I've been having Riders choice transport my bike to and from track and the cost is adding up.

Should have bought a pick up truck. Damn!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I like your car!

I got a 2014 Willis Wheeler
Thanks it the wife's 2015 sahara. Never thought I'd be a jeep fan until driving it a couple weeks. I'm now loving it and prefer it to my mercedes. only down fall I see is its 2000 lbs towing capacity but shouldn't be a problem with what I need it for. I shoulda opted for the 3.73 gearing tho

Mine comes with Dana 44 rear axle with limited-slip rear differential and 3.73 gearing, part of why i got that model, but your wife's comes with Gas suspension. Yea towing capacity sucks.
Thanks it the wife's 2015 sahara. Never thought I'd be a jeep fan until driving it a couple weeks. I'm now loving it and prefer it to my mercedes. only down fall I see is its 2000 lbs towing capacity but shouldn't be a problem with what I need it for. I shoulda opted for the 3.73 gearing tho

Mine comes with Dana 44 rear axle with limited-slip rear differential and 3.73 gearing, part of why i got that model, but your wife's comes with Gas suspension. Yea towing capacity sucks.
I'm new to this jeep thing. Is willy's like a rubicon or a special edition? Her's is definitely a mall crawler with 33" tires stock height. Even at that I wish I got the higher gearing. I'm gonna keep an eye out for lime green unlimited and talk my self into having 2 jeeps in the family. now I know lsd and at least 3.73 gearing is a must. Any other must haves? Mostly dd with weekend mudding

Sorry op just realized I hijacked the thread.

Willys is a special edition with the rubicon suspension and rock rails and a few other things like Mud tires, Rubicon has locks and disconnecting sway bar. Honestly, any model with mud tires will do way more than what you need, it all depends on the features that you find important.

If you are going to tow, get the towing package from the dealership, comes with the 3.73 gearing and heavier oil on the transmission which you don't get when getting a hitch from uhaul.

When you are ready to buy, PM me and I can guide you as much as I can, not an expert.
I'm new to this jeep thing. Is willy's like a rubicon or a special edition? Her's is definitely a mall crawler with 33" tires stock height. Even at that I wish I got the higher gearing. I'm gonna keep an eye out for lime green unlimited and talk my self into having 2 jeeps in the family. now I know lsd and at least 3.73 gearing is a must. Any other must haves? Mostly dd with weekend mudding

Since we are on the subject of towing; I bought a '15 wrx. Although Subaru does not recommend towing there are hitch manufacturers that make them. I searched endlessly on Subaru formns for any info on towing capacity but found none. Some owners do have a hitch for bicycles but haven't seen the new wrx/sti tow any motorcycle trailer. I searched and even contacted UK as the English tow just about anything, and they too said my car was not intended for towing. Anyone here owns a newer wrx/sti that has come across this issue?
I've been having Riders choice transport my bike to and from track and the cost is adding up.

Many people install hitches on vehicles that are not intended for towing and have no problems. However, most of them do not have warranty that could be voided if something were to happen like you do. I was also looking for a long time for a car with good towing capacity and couldn't find it so I ended up with the smaller Jeep Cherokee with the towing package. I also do plan on doing the Uhaul thing for a while.

Any car can tow 1000lbs. A lightweight trailer with one bike won't be a problem.

My brother towed his 2004 KTM 625 SMC ( a big heavy supermoto) on a converted seadoo trailer behind a 2004 toyota echo hatch all the way to Ft McMurray from Kitchener and back with zero problems. He actually got better fuel mileage while doing this than his gf driving her 2008 echo with a bicycle rack

So a sportbike behind a fusion on a utility trailer will be no problems at all

Yes, U-Haul trailers are great!

Mega thread jack :D

Willys is a special edition with the rubicon suspension and rock rails and a few other things like Mud tires, Rubicon has locks and disconnecting sway bar. Honestly, any model with mud tires will do way more than what you need, it all depends on the features that you find important.

If you are going to tow, get the towing package from the dealership, comes with the 3.73 gearing and heavier oil on the transmission which you don't get when getting a hitch from uhaul.

When you are ready to buy, PM me and I can guide you as much as I can, not an expert.

Holy crap, you guys are Jeep guys too?? My wife has a 2004 TJ and I am sick of paying other people to fix crap on it so I have started to do it myself. I have replaced the Fan speed blower motor resister and am about to tear out the centre console to replace the blown sub, and then do the rest of the audio system. Planning to pick up some stuff on the trip down to Indy.

I am thinking to change out the axles and do some suspension work in the future, though. This thing has the stock wheels and suspension, and has spent literally 99.9% of it's life on public roads. One time I drove it through a big muddy *** lot where a house was under construction, but that's it.

The thing is a beast off road and in the snow though, I particularly like to use it in the winter time. Also I am going to upgrade the brakes I think, as I have been reading that upgrading the wheels and tires takes the braking performance from about a 3/10 down to about a 1.5.

Do you know anything about my generation of Jeep, ZX600?? Anyway if you guys want to buy some quads and then take these Jeeps like 10 miles into the woods one day, and beat on the quads, let me know.. lol.. I've never ridden one. But I thought the Jeep would suck, too. It just does on the highway.

Well technically were married to a jeep girl. I say if you're doing 99% on road why upgrade the axles and suspension? Unless they're due anyways I say leave them stock. I know on the jk the brakes are weak and so is the sound system. I will eventually be upgrading those too. Now if this was my rig I'd be looking at lift kits and at least 35" tires and a winch and light bars.

Forget the quads take the jeeps in some mud. I got a little trail in mississauga that's not too difficult for the stock jeep. Had it on 4hi and it had no problem. Probably will explore more next time and hopefully get it into 4lo. I need to make some jeep friends to go with so if I ever do get stuck I'm not sol.

I'm planning to install a hitch on either my 3.2TL (a lot more power) or 2001 RAV4 (very little power). Which one would you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom