Oh Deer.. I went down.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oh Deer.. I went down..

I must confess I've seen more deer there than Ontario

OP, glad your safe.

Reminds me of how close I may have come to the same fate. A few years back rode across NY State all night to get the Rhode island and visit Twisted throttle. The guy there asked how and when we rode and was a little shocked when we told him. On our way back during day light hours we saw way to many dead deer on the side of the interstate for comfort.

Glad to hear you're OK.

I was down there with a group a few weeks ago and the amount of deer we saw was insane. Only one or two live ones, but at least 4 dead on the side of the road. Makes me wonder how many we didn't notice.

I've been told the number killed on the road in PA exceeds hunting season for all of Ontario. After being down there, I believe it.

I also did a trip down to NJ and PA and saw a handful of dead ones myself. At least 5 over 1800km, I was surprised they looked pretty whole and weren't mangled.

Also to reiterate what OP said, locals down there and people in general in the little towns are very friendly and down to earth. Not like the typical dickhead Americans we think of.

Glad to hear you're okay. I hit one in my car once and it did $8,000 worth of damage - can't imagine how you dodged the bullet and managed to ride home.

I hit a deer last weekend in Pennsylvania and went down. The bike and myself Slid for 100+ feet as the deer hit me at speed.... and glad I am here to tell the tale. I am back in the GTA and recovering, and lucky to say I have a few scrapes and a sprained ankle. My gear SAVED myself from much worse. I thought I would post here as testament of what and how good gear can potentially reduce injuries. Needless to say, my riding partners are all upgrading their kit.

I need to thank the local people near Wellsboro, PA for their help and the gentlemen in PA who was able to weld my brake lever together so I could get the bike back home ok.

Also thanks to my riding buddies, one of which rode my bike nearly 100kms back to town without a front brake!

cast-smiley.gif

I think you used up 8 of your 9 lives on that trip! Good you are OK - bikes can be replaced but you can't!!

I recently went down hard on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Tennessee and walked away with a small scuff on my arm and a tiny bruise on my knee thanks to my gear. Helmet, jacket, pants are all severely damaged and the bike (because it flipped) is a total write off but I am still in one piece. I don't care how bloody hot it is outside, I still wear all my gear! I would rather sweat than bleed!

GWS Kiwi. Looking forward to seeing you and your bike in action. For someone who's gear just saved them I'm surprised you had anything to say about mine! I've been debating the dainese knee/shin protectors for a few weeks now. Might pull the trigger soon after reading this.

GWS Kiwi. Looking forward to seeing you and your bike in action. For someone who's gear just saved them I'm surprised you had anything to say about mine! I've been debating the dainese knee/shin protectors for a few weeks now. Might pull the trigger soon after reading this.

I'll post pics and more details soon. The fabric from the pants melted to the outside. I did take a big hit on them and have no injury to show. I'm impressed with them - so was my doctor today.

Everyone, Thanks for all the positive comments.

+1 for pictures when ever you can manage it...

Deer scare me the most out of anything on the road right now, atleast when it comes to random stuff potentially happening that you have to react to.. I go out riding at dusk/night time a fair amount, and I catch glimpses of deer all the time, really have to keep your eye out for them, and sometimes won't matter cause they can run infront of you at so close a distance absolutely no chance of stopping.

Glad your ok. So you still rode your bike all the way back to the GTA?

Glad you are okay - any pictured of the bike??

yeah. I'll post pictures in the morning - sorry, I've been exhausted from the weekend and frankly, haven't even wanted to look at the bike (still got Deer "juice" and fur spattered about it. ) and on some of the gear.
Pain from the ankle has been keeping me up at night too but seems better today.

Yeah, managed to ride the bike back to the GTA. Thankful for SW-Motech sliders and being able to find s Aluminium welder on a saturday in the middle of PA!

deer.gif
deer.gif

DuckHuntingSmiley.gif

Glad you were ok. It amazing how many deer get killed by cars and the damage they cause. +1 for riding with gear all the time. If I am going anywhere I have full gear on. If I am riding locally I wear textile pants with the rest my leather gear. If I am riding far I am in full leathers.

Damn kiwi! Good to hear you're ok. I came within inches a little while ago mid day as well. Scary stuff.

Happy to hear you're relatively okay Kiwi. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

GWS kiwi!!

You're one lucky guy; hitting a deer at over 100kph and you've got a sore ankle.

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom