Oh Deer.. I went down.. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oh Deer.. I went down..

GWS Kiwi. Looking forward to seeing you and your bike in action. For someone who's gear just saved them I'm surprised you had anything to say about mine! I've been debating the dainese knee/shin protectors for a few weeks now. Might pull the trigger soon after reading this.

lol, I just saw the post you were referring to... When I posted the comment about the guy on a scooter (looked like a honda C70?) it was because usually in the city you never see much more than a helmet on scooter riders. That Dainese mesh/armour shirt would match the knee/shin protection I wear. Anyway, photos are uploaded now and I'll update the original post tonight. Just havent had the energy to look at any bike stuff (other than internet related) this week.

Updated with photos

Updated with requested photos.

Re: Updated with photos

Great post, glad to see an example of why ATGATT is so important.

Looks like all the gear was scuffed but held together, as in nothing got through to the skin. Is that right?

Great post, glad to see an example of why ATGATT is so important.

Looks like all the gear was scuffed but held together, as in nothing got through to the skin. Is that right?
That is correct. Did get a graze on one elbow possibly from armour moving during initial impact. Just top layer of skin scraped. It's healed up ok so far and ankle is giving me more mobility now.

Great photos, also a reminder why full face is best, yes even for those that ride cruisers, imagine what the fae would look like with a half helmet... yikes

Great photos, also a reminder why full face is best, yes even for those that ride cruisers, imagine what the fae would look like with a half helmet... yikes

That was in PA, where most cruiser riders wear no helmet at all! Given the number of local riders we spoke with who have also had deer encounters, its truly amazing that they still prefer to ride without the most basic protection.

That was in PA, where most cruiser riders wear no helmet at all! Given the number of local riders we spoke with who have also had deer encounters, its truly amazing that they still prefer to ride without the most basic protection.

Yeah, no helmets required there. You do have to wear eye protection though. You know, for safety.

Yeah, no helmets required there. You do have to wear eye protection though. You know, for safety.

yeah, those bugs can get nasty ;-)

Wow kiwi! Glad you're relatively ok. Thanks for sharing your story and posting pictures.

Deer Radar?

Wow! Glad you're ok man!

I bought this "Deer Avoidance System" because I like to ride on country roads a lot. Haven't installed it on my bike yet but wondering if any of you riders out there have any experience with such devices.

http://www.xp3hornet.com/

Attachments

• index-illustration[1].jpg
    index-illustration[1].jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 25
Re: Deer Radar?

Wow! Glad you're ok man!

I bought this "Deer Avoidance System" because I like to ride on country roads a lot. Haven't installed it on my bike yet but wondering if any of you riders out there have any experience with such devices.

http://www.xp3hornet.com/

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I'd be questioning a product with the claim "In many areas, your odds are less than 1 in 3 of having a deer/vehicle accident this year." I'm sure in downtown Manhattan my odds of hitting a deer are much less than 1 in 3...

I have been discussing deer whistles etc with friends, but have no conclusive proof they work or not. Someone mentioned mythbusters but I have not been able to find the episode in question.

I have been discussing deer whistles etc with friends, but have no conclusive proof they work or not. Someone mentioned mythbusters but I have not been able to find the episode in question.

You can't prove they work, only that they don't.

Most people don't ride with deer whistles and most people don't hit (or get hit) by deers. In past threads some people riding with deer whistles hit deer. The only conclusion you can make is that they don't work, at least they certainly don't work all the time.

..Tom

Just to clarify...the device I bought is not a whistle in the traditional sense. It doesn't rely on air passing through it...it actually generates its own sonic impulses, electronically. Here's how it works...

http://www.xp3hornet.com/works.shtml

Glad you're ok. If I remember correctly, there was someone else here who hit a deer on their bike on the 400 about 8/9 years ago. Can't recall who.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you're ok!

Just picked up a set of those Dainese knee/shin guards, definitely think it was a solid purchase from the looks of it!

Gws!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

+1 on the glad to hear this was something you walked away from! Hitting a deer is one of the biggest fears lurking in my head on rides - even more than left turns, lane invaders and whatever else we may encounter day-to-day. Always thought it would be a "final exit" kind of situation if it did happen.

Closest I've ever come was in the OK valley a few years ago. Looked down for a moment and when I looked back up, saw the hind legs passing in front of me. Close call. Been terminally spooked ever since...

Best to you and may your remaining "8-lives" last a long, long time.

Hitting a deer is one off the scary moment for the motorcycle rider.

I Think this post should be pined to the forum so that every rider came to know how good quality gear can keep yourself protected against the serious injuries.

As the gear pictures shows that they had done excellent job of protection for you.

My extractions from this thread

"Always ride with full protection"

Good luck for your future rides always stay safe :)

Glad to hear you're OK.

I was down there with a group a few weeks ago and the amount of deer we saw was insane. Only one or two live ones, but at least 4 dead on the side of the road. Makes me wonder how many we didn't notice.

I've been told the number killed on the road in PA exceeds hunting season for all of Ontario. After being down there, I believe it.

It's crazy. I drove through PA early one morning a few summers ago and the road had deer carcasses everywhere. Never seen anything like it, nothing close to that in Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom