Oh Deer.. I went down.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oh Deer.. I went down..

kiwi

I hit a deer last weekend in Pennsylvania and went down. The bike and myself Slid for 100+ feet as the deer hit me at speed.... and glad I am here to tell the tale. I am back in the GTA and recovering, and lucky to say I have a few scrapes and a sprained ankle. My gear SAVED myself from much worse. I thought I would post here as testament of what and how good gear can potentially reduce injuries. Needless to say, my riding partners are all upgrading their kit.

I need to thank the local people near Wellsboro, PA for their help and the gentlemen in PA who was able to weld my brake lever together so I could get the bike back home ok.

Also thanks to my riding buddies, one of which rode my bike nearly 100kms back to town without a front brake!

cast-smiley.gif

Btw - The deer was hit at 11:20am at 109kmph according to my gps track which also recorded the slide ;)

UPDATED with photos of gear as requested :

20150711_190303.jpg

20150716_151336.jpg

20150716_151718.jpg

20150716_164157.jpg

20150716_151038.jpg

20150716_151059.jpg

20150716_151053.jpg

Last edited:
What gear do you use? :)

Let the manufacturer know..and if you have pics send them, sometimes they like getting testimonials and ive even seen a case where they replaced the gear for free

I hit a deer last weekend in Pennsylvania and went down. The bike and myself Slid for 100+ feet as the deer hit me at speed.... and glad I am here to tell the tale. I am back in the GTA and recovering, and lucky to say I have a few scrapes and a sprained ankle. My gear SAVED myself from much worse. I thought I would post here as testament of what and how good gear can potentially reduce injuries. Needless to say, my riding partners are all upgrading their kit.

I need to thank the local people near Wellsboro, PA for their help and the gentlemen in PA who was able to weld my brake lever together so I could get the bike back home ok.

cast-smiley.gif

Glad to hear you're okay. The Canadian wildlife can be frightfully dangerous! I hope your story will influence the gear choices of at least a couple of people.

Wow, glad you are ok! Had a close call with a deer once upon a time. Scared the jeepers out of me.

+1 for having full gear.

Sent from my Passport

Glad you're ok.
Type of gear and pics after crash?

I'm glad to hear you are alright. What time of day did this occur at?

cast-smiley.gif

Hi Guys, deer was hit at 11:20am
At 109kmph according to my gps track which also recorded the slide.

I have a variety of gear..
* puma gtx boots which were peiced by I think was the foot peg

* Triumph textile pants with danese full shin and knee guards underneath

* Triumph leather jacket with knox protection

* FIVE rfx gloves (sliders on those Work well)

* knox aegis back protection

* icon full face helmet (face shield took a hit.)

glad that its not anyone else that created this thread and that you're all right.

Glad to hear you're OK.

I was down there with a group a few weeks ago and the amount of deer we saw was insane. Only one or two live ones, but at least 4 dead on the side of the road. Makes me wonder how many we didn't notice.

I've been told the number killed on the road in PA exceeds hunting season for all of Ontario. After being down there, I believe it.

Glad you're OK....

Damn...I thought it was only dusk for deer hazards. Did it come out of trees or something? Which part of your gear saved you the most?

Glad you're OK....

Damn...I thought it was only dusk for deer hazards. Did it come out of trees or something? Which part of your gear saved you the most?
I have had deer run accross the road at all times of the day in PA & W Virginia. Buggers are everywhere and any time. They scare me sh@&less. Hit a deer with my van a couple of years back, $14,000 in damage.

Glad you made it home in one piece.

Glad to hear you're OK.

I was down there with a group a few weeks ago and the amount of deer we saw was insane. Only one or two live ones, but at least 4 dead on the side of the road. Makes me wonder how many we didn't notice.

I've been told the number killed on the road in PA exceeds hunting season for all of Ontario. After being down there, I believe it.

The OTR truckers in the shops would always say that PA is "infested" with deer. Having been there a number of times it's true.

Kiwi, glad you're ok and still with us to tell the story. Rest up, get well and when you're back to riding, ice cream is on me!

Kiwi, glad you're ok and still with us to tell the story. Rest up, get well and when you're back to riding, ice cream is on me!

Wow....so someone has to take out a deer to get free ice cream....do racoons or other critters count?

Kiwi, glad you're alive to tell the tale. Rest up and get back to form Stat.

Glad you're okay Kiwi. Good reminder for everyone enjoying the beautiful roads down south to be alert for the wildlife. It is a zoo down there.

Back
Top Bottom