For the photogs out there...some advice please! | GTAMotorcycle.com

For the photogs out there...some advice please!

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
I’m starting to get back into photography nowadays and picked up a used OLYMPUS EPL1 Micro 4/3camera to get started as I like the balance b/w size and performance of the whole segment.

It comes w/ a kit lens of 14-40mm which seems ok but I’m also looking at picking up a few used lenses.I’m looking at the 40-150mm lens, a 25mm prime lens, and a possible pancake,but that’s not overly important at this stage.

Can you guys recommend anything specific I should look for? Maybe a type of lens? I would primarily be going for landscapes, as well as a few portraits, but mainly nature shots.

Would also like to pick up a case that would allow for easy access, and possibly use on the bike that allows for quick reach and shots without fumbling through the gear. So that’s another piece of advice I’d appreciate if anyone can comment.

Going on a road trip with the car and want to have all my kit ready before I leave in 2 weeks.

Photography and travel is a perfect match.

sorry can't help with Olympus gear, just bought a Fuji xe2 and have just the 16-50 lens. There's not much you can't do with a wide angle to short tele lens. You don't even really need the speed of a prime lens because digital has become quite good with higher ISO. Even if you don't get another lens, you'll be fine with the zoom. In a way, it's good to keep things simple.

Dunno anything about the 4/3 format but you seem to have the right idea as far as focal lengths go. I'm a full-frame Nikon guy (D600) and I use an all-purpose 28-200mm zoom most of the time. Also use a 50mm f1.8 and a superwide 20mm f4. I have several more but those are the mainstays in the bag.

Focal lengths are misleading in the micro 4/3 format. It is double of other camera formats. So a 40mm focal length is equivalent to an 80 mm focal length on other cameras. Keep this in mind when buying lenses

For landscapes and portraits I'd recommend covering the basic focal lengths, from wide to telephoto.

I've had a m4/3 camera for over 6 years now. IMO, a small wide lens is important. I have a 20mm pancake (panasonic). It works very well, has great aperture specs, makes the camera compact, has a good price and is highly reviewed. Most of my pictures are with this lens, and it is due to convenience, compactness, and reasonably good low light capability.

I also have a 45-200mm panasonic lens. A telephoto is an important option imo for landscape shots. It works great for getting eye view landscape shots and portraits accounting for the higher minimum f-stop. So it needs good light, or a brace/pod/tripod to work to its best. There may be more expensive zoom options with better aperture specs. If you can afford it I'd always get the best aperture specs you can.

I'd love to get something like the ultra wide 7-14 mm panasonic lens (especially since this format doubles the advertised focal length) and also trade up to the 100-300 panasonic lens. Lots of utility there, but they aren't cheap.

I found the 14-40mm lens avg, bulky, and never bothered with it. I'd even suggest considering selling that lens to fund something like what I mention.

Just some suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it. Pics are coming out great compared to my P&S camera and looking forward to playing around with it more. Now just looking for the lenses is the tough part in a used market!

I have an Olympus OMD EM-5 micro 4/3 and I love it. I have the kit 12-50mm lens which is great as it is waterproof, the 45mm lens (really nice for portraits) and the 40-150mm which is handy but not used as much. Keep an eye on this website: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/outlet-featured.html?pres as they sell factory refurbished lenses there. I bought all my lenses at a considerable discount from there and they are all fine. Watch out for deals on fathers day, etc when they take up to 40% off sometimes or more to the prices. I bought a nice big olympus flash for when I want to shoot fancy indoor pics too but the low light capabilities are fine.

I'm after a good wide angle lens too, been looking at the metal 17mm one which comes up for around $300ish at times. The kit lens is fine though.

Back
Top Bottom