Toronto to Denver in 2 days? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to Denver in 2 days?

DOHC1

Has anyone rode down to Denver, CO from Toronto? I am considering riding down there this month, but am not sure how I should space out the travel days. Which one of these would be a better option: 3 days of 800km riding, or 2 days of 1200 kms riding?

Even 3 days of 800km might be pushing it. FWIW on long trips it's better to go farther on the first day. Do you have much experience doing long distance riding?

3 days of 800km would be better unless your used to looooong days. When doing days of that length I like to leave very early, 5:30 am, give or take. Get on the road early, beat the heat of the day and beat busy traffic if it is a weekday and you are in a heavily populated area. You can cover a lot of ground by noon as long as you can keep going without stopping saving for fuel. I would stop riding around 3 pm, maybe earlier depending on the distance made. You do go a good distance in a day, are able to stop early, can relax, get a good meal and get a good nights sleep to repeat the next day.

I drove from Toronto to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I thought I could do it in 2 dys but took 2.5. As mentioned it can get tiring at day 2. Also I wanted it to feel like vacation rather than work

I would plan on 3 days.
Avoid Chicago at all costs :(

Two days at 1200KM each would be incredibly tiring.

You do need to stop for fuel and food every once in awhile as well...

I think it depends on your bike. If you have a big touring bike, easy peasy

It all depends on how comfy you and your bike are. A few years back on my old V-Strom I did 3,200 km from somewhere in Utah to my home on Ontario in two and a half days of riding. That was at the end of a 10 day, 10,500 km ride.

..Tom

3 days of 800km would be better unless your used to looooong days. When doing days of that length I like to leave very early, 5:30 am, give or take. Get on the road early, beat the heat of the day and beat busy traffic if it is a weekday and you are in a heavily populated area. You can cover a lot of ground by noon as long as you can keep going without stopping saving for fuel. I would stop riding around 3 pm, maybe earlier depending on the distance made. You do go a good distance in a day, are able to stop early, can relax, get a good meal and get a good nights sleep to repeat the next day.

Great advice . 800 a day is a lot of km unless you have true touring bike .

Thank you for the replies.

I will be going on a Ducati Monster 620, so it should be fairly comfortable. The only long distance touring I've done is ~800 km toronto to NYC on a Ninja 250r:lmao:. I regularly do ~600km days around Ontario

I think you guys are right - 2 days of 1200 km each is pretty ambitious. I am going to do a day trip of Toronto - Montreal - Toronto some time this week. It should give me a better sense of what "1000 km/day" feels like. If Denver ends up being too far, I may stick with the Tail of the Dragon (about half the distance away as Denver).

It's possible in 2 days but you might be too tired 3rd day to ride. I've done almost 3K in 2 days (Evanston, WY to Toronto) knowing my bed was waiting for me. If you pace yourself it could lead to less downtime needed. And yes, it's better to plan to avoid major city rush hour to increase distance. I'm not a morning person, and traveled afternoon to late night time. The roads (and scenery) are nice once you get out there :)

Thank you for the replies.

I will be going on a Ducati Monster 620, so it should be fairly comfortable. The only long distance touring I've done is ~800 km toronto to NYC on a Ninja 250r:lmao:. I regularly do ~600km days around Ontario

I think you guys are right - 2 days of 1200 km each is pretty ambitious. I am going to do a day trip of Toronto - Montreal - Toronto some time this week. It should give me a better sense of what "1000 km/day" feels like. If Denver ends up being too far, I may stick with the Tail of the Dragon (about half the distance away as Denver).

Doing Toronto-Montreal-Toronto was harder for me then Boynton beach Florida to somewhere near Sutton West Virginia. (1500kms approx) I find constant riding with just breaks for food easier then stopping for a long time then continuing.

Monster 620? with a seat that slides forward and the buzz in the handlebars 800k will be lots IMHO. And yes there is a Monster 620 sitting in my garage so trust me on loooonnnng distance on that bike.

That's a lot of riding no matter what you're on. I did the Iron Butt 1000 on a 250 and while it was stupidly tiring it was doable within 20hrs. Plus the group I was with was good so that helped out. Solo may be much tougher.

Can you trailer the bike down? Might be a better (if possible) option.

Doing a single 1000km + day does help understand what it is like, but doing those kind of days successively is very different. Make sure you are well rested, it can and will wear you down.

Someone above mention 1000+ km days to get home, which is possible when you know your own bed is calling your name. I'd never do long days like that at the start of a vacation.

Back
Top Bottom