failed my m1 exit test. how to rebuild confidence? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

failed my m1 exit test. how to rebuild confidence?

Frankly speaking it is a shame,
I just pass my M1 exit a week ago,And I must say the whole session was way to easy for me,
You just heal the scar and start riding randomly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it helps u or not but I failed my M2 test right at the first exercise ,today is my 25th day riding a bike and I have already dropped my boy two times ;))))
however, no matter what but I will be riding again and again ))))
my re do test in 2 weeks and I also book with driving centre in case I fail again )))
and if I fail again I will loose my m1....and will do all over again and again ))))
i will not give up and wish you the same ???

I don't know if it helps u or not but I failed my M2 test right at the first exercise ,today is my 25th day riding a bike and I have already dropped my boy two times ;))))
and if I fail again I will loose my m1....and will do all over again and again ))))

What was "the first exercise" ?

I haven't taken a course yet, and it seems like all the schools keep the course and testing content "secret" (unlike the MTO's publicized test)

How did you fail the exercise ?

Why is one exercise-failure a fail of the entire test ?

What did you do to drop your bike ?

Last edited:

I haven't taken a course yet, and it seems like all the schools keep the course and testing content "secret" (unlike the MTO's publicized test)

How did you fail the exercise ?

Why is one exercise-failure a fail of the entire test ?

What did you do to drop your bike ?

I just did the m2 this week so I can help out, first was a sharp right turn, second was curve at speed, there was one that was sudden left or right swerve, emergency stop. Theres no real secret, you can see what the test is by just looking at the floor.

The key is really just to keep your speed up, 2 people failed due to low speeds. I went over the line on the first one which gave me my only 3 points, you can't have more then 5 in one exercise, max 11 overall.

I just did the m2 this week so I can help out, first was a sharp right turn, second was curve at speed, there was one that was sudden left or right swerve, emergency stop. Theres no real secret, you can see what the test is by just looking at the floor.

The key is really just to keep your speed up, 2 people failed due to low speeds. I went over the line on the first one which gave me my only 3 points, you can't have more then 5 in one exercise, max 11 overall.

Which school was that ?

Do they tell you exactly what the points penalties are ? (i.e. how much under / over the speeds are allowed?)

Which school was that ?

Do they tell you exactly what the points penalties are ? (i.e. how much under / over the speeds are allowed?)

Humber, 25-35 is where you need to be, there is no "speed limit" just make sure your at a speed that you can do what is asked of you ie: not going so fast you can't see which side to swerve too. Your basically always going to be in second gear. There are 2 cones that show the area they are timing you in. You are told everything and can ask any questions even when lining up to go.
I stalled twice after I finished doing the exercise at a stop but no one cared. (Have a habit of just letting go of the clutch lol)

congratulations bud, riding is like nothing, it's an unbelievable experience & privilege that very few realized.

Keep on riding & best of luck in the future!

Sorry to hear about the accident and the not passing...like others have said, RTI will allow for one free retest once you are healed and back up to it, both physically and mentally.

As for where to go from here, I'm assuming you don't already own a bike? If that's the case, I'd talk to RTI as I know they also will do private lessons. Sure, it will cost some extra money, but it would be golden 1-on-1 time with an instructor to help you get past any hurdles you might have now.

As for some of the other points you mentioned...I also did my M2 with RTI having never rode a motorcycle before (I owned a brand new CBR250RA I had just bought, but was too afraid to throw my leg over and potentially drop it having 0 experience). Although RTI won't readily admit to it, some of their bikes are a little dodgy from being dropped and repaired...or just from general abuse. I found none of the bikes I rode behaved exactly the same, and all had quirks about them. When I did ride my own bike for the first time, it was like driving a Cadillac in comparison. At least in my group, everyone sort of claimed a bike on Day 2...so I made sure I got one that worked well enough for me, and made sure I was first back to that bike the remainder of the day.

As for shifting and rear brake -- I can see the process of shifting being hard for some, especially if you have no prior experience to it. I think I was ahead of the game as I learned to drive stick at 16, and have only owned manual transmission cars since, so I just had to get the physical differences down vs the thought process. Clutch engagement point also can vary depending on wear and cable adjustment, so the bike you had might have been dodgy on day one...I know one of the ones I rode was that way as well. For rear brake, the reason is to keep the chain tight and it actually does help with low speed stability. Also because if you use the front brake at low speeds with the bars turned, you'll end up sideways rather quickly.

The test really isn't secret, or at least I don't think it is. Anyhow from what I can remember a few years ago:

- Exercise where you start in a box, go through a slight curve, then have to stop with your front wheel in another box. Also timed.
- Exercise where you start and have to go through a S curve with 1 shift into second gear, then cross the line in a given time.
- Exercise where you ride towards an instructor, and they signal left or right, and you have to do an emergency stop to that side.
- Exercise where you ride towards an instructor, and they signal left or right, and you need to enter a bend (similar to an off-ramp), and stop on that side.

Failure is pretty much points based, and depends on if you fail to complete any of the above, go outside the marked lane lines (or stop early or late), if you stall or drop the bike during a run (but not while in queue waiting for your turn to go), or if you put your feet down at any point while not stopped during a test run.

Edit: oh, I see you passed. congratz, and never mind all this.

Never mind your confidence. Practice your skills.

If you calll RTI and ask them to explain your options, I'm sure they'd be happy to have somebody call you back and talk things over with you.

If the free retest doesn't work out, you can probably repeat the course for a discount.

If all else fails (pardon the pun), you could buy a cheap beater and practice in a vacant parking lot on weekends. Look up the Ontario test online and work on that. IMO, it looks easier than the test that the riding schools give.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the accident and the not passing...like others have said, RTI will allow for one free retest once you are healed and back up to it, both physically and mentally.

As for where to go from here, I'm assuming you don't already own a bike? If that's the case, I'd talk to RTI as I know they also will do private lessons. Sure, it will cost some extra money, but it would be golden 1-on-1 time with an instructor to help you get past any hurdles you might have now.

As for some of the other points you mentioned...I also did my M2 with RTI having never rode a motorcycle before (I owned a brand new CBR250RA I had just bought, but was too afraid to throw my leg over and potentially drop it having 0 experience). Although RTI won't readily admit to it, some of their bikes are a little dodgy from being dropped and repaired...or just from general abuse. I found none of the bikes I rode behaved exactly the same, and all had quirks about them. When I did ride my own bike for the first time, it was like driving a Cadillac in comparison. At least in my group, everyone sort of claimed a bike on Day 2...so I made sure I got one that worked well enough for me, and made sure I was first back to that bike the remainder of the day.

As for shifting and rear brake -- I can see the process of shifting being hard for some, especially if you have no prior experience to it. I think I was ahead of the game as I learned to drive stick at 16, and have only owned manual transmission cars since, so I just had to get the physical differences down vs the thought process. Clutch engagement point also can vary depending on wear and cable adjustment, so the bike you had might have been dodgy on day one...I know one of the ones I rode was that way as well. For rear brake, the reason is to keep the chain tight and it actually does help with low speed stability. Also because if you use the front brake at low speeds with the bars turned, you'll end up sideways rather quickly.

Never mind your confidence. Practice your skills.

If you calll RTI and ask them to explain your options, I'm sure they'd be happy to have somebody call you back and talk things over with you.

If the free retest doesn't work out, you can probably repeat the course for a discount.

If all else fails (pardon the pun), you could buy a cheap beater and practice in a vacant parking lot on weekends. Look up the Ontario test online and work on that. IMO, it looks easier than the test that the riding schools give.

thanks for the word of encouragement. but this thread is pretty old and its my fault for posting in it again but i literally just redid a course a year later (after my first failure) and passed it just fine this time!

as for shifting, i dont know what it was but i just couldn't do it on the bike i was mainly using (a year ago). But this year I had literally 0 problems shifting.

i'm definitely getting a beater bike (probably a cheap sym wolf) and gonna practice that for a while (it will also force me to shift a lot since its only 150cc).

Congratulations!!

It all get's easier with time and practice. Keep riding.

i didnt know any better at the time but the specific bike I rode had a really lousy clutch to it. you had to basically let it out the entire way before it ever started engaging

I likes me my friction zone far out... Doesn't mean it is a bad clutch.. Just not set to your liking

Also because if you use the front brake at low speeds with the bars turned, you'll end up sideways rather quickly.

If you grab the brake, ya, but moderate use is no problem. BTDT for both ;)

Being told not to use the front brake ever at "low speed" is bad advice IMO.

...i'm definitely getting a beater bike (probably a cheap sym wolf) and gonna practice that for a while (it will also force me to shift a lot since its only 150cc).

Just a word of caution, at 150ccs you are going to have to skip the freeways. I would recommend getting to 250 or 300ccs. The ease of riding and cost will be much the same but you will learn more and have more riding options. On 250ccs you can take a freeway out of town and be in good riding country quite quickly. Also, if you get one of the main Japanese bikes it will last forever and you can keep it as a small around town bike when you get a bigger bike next year. Enjoy!

Great to see that you've since passed! I can tell you as a person that grew up on dirtbikes, even with that experience I was very nervous going into the M2 test. I don't generally stress over testing but I was putting a lot of pressure on myself I guess. Thankfully for me all went well but I can say to others, there is no shame in failing, especially for a person with no previous experience. I have a lot of respect for the people that were in my class that had no experience. You have to start somewhere. The most important thing is to learn from your mistakes. Be mindful, and honest with yourself, of your weaknesses so you can focus on them and improve.

Just a word of caution, at 150ccs you are going to have to skip the freeways. I would recommend getting to 250 or 300ccs. The ease of riding and cost will be much the same but you will learn more and have more riding options. On 250ccs you can take a freeway out of town and be in good riding country quite quickly. Also, if you get one of the main Japanese bikes it will last forever and you can keep it as a small around town bike when you get a bigger bike next year. Enjoy!

So I did end up getting a used sym wolf for now. Super fun and as predicted, LOTS of shifting needed to get around the town and keep up with traffic (whenever it's actually moving). I'm using this carb bike to also learn to do oil changes/valve clearance/carb clean etc cause ultimately I'd like a classic old Honda CB and I know that's gonna come with a lot of maintenance. I'm thinking a 360 or even 550 might be a decent balance of in-town riding but still able to eventually do highway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom