Idiot - Riding up the shoulder of the Allen | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Idiot - Riding up the shoulder of the Allen

It's dangerous in an environment where its not legal because drivers are not expecting or not accustomed to it. And I've seen morons lane split on a two-lane highway (ie the two lanes are in opposing directions) which is definitely close to about the dumbest thing I've seen on two wheels. You can guess how other motorists felt about it too.

It's dangerous in an environment where its not legal because drivers are not expecting or not accustomed to it. And I've seen morons lane split on a two-lane highway (ie the two lanes are in opposing directions)

That's why I don't lane split here, but it doesn't change the fact that if it were made legal (and drivers were educated) it would be safer. There's a reason why it's done basically everywhere else in the world except North America, excluding California... You'll get funny looks if you don't split lanes across the pond while riding.

There is no good reason for proper lane splitting & filtering to be illegal, and of course splitting up a 2 lane highway is not proper lane splitting.

I don't disagree, which is why in post 12 I suggested in that if people want to lane split/filter, they should lobby the government to make it legal. Until then, don't do it.

I've seen it done in Holland and Italy (literally like 5 vehicles in 2 lanes) so it can definitely work, but over there other motorists are prepared for it.

That's why I don't lane split here, but it doesn't change the fact that if it were made legal (and drivers were educated) it would be safer. There's a reason why it's done basically everywhere else in the world except North America, excluding California... You'll get funny looks if you don't split lanes across the pond while riding.

There is no good reason for proper lane splitting & filtering to be illegal, and of course splitting up a 2 lane highway is not proper lane splitting.

Step 1. Educate drivers. The chances of getting self indulgent drivers to stop texting, doing make-up, having breakfast etc and start shoulder checking and staying in the centre of their lanes etc are hopeless.

Driving, to most, is just a way from point A to point B and doing it right is of less importance than their choice of toilet paper and whether they wipe up or down.

You can write the laws and you can teach the laws. However enforcing the laws would wreak havoc with the policing for profit system our politicians have foisted on the traffic cops.

Drive, ride with that in mind.

That's why I don't lane split here, but it doesn't change the fact that if it were made legal (and drivers were educated) it would be safer.

The blind leading the naked. You want to see a gong show? Go check out all the roundabouts they've installed in Milton. Maybe one in ten grasps the concept. Maybe.

The blind leading the naked. You want to see a gong show? Go check out all the roundabouts they've installed in Milton. Maybe one in ten grasps the concept. Maybe.

so what's the solution?? not install roundabouts because people are "not ready" for it?? no, you put them in and people get used to them, give it a bit of time and you will see more and more people in Milton grasping the concept. drivers aren't going to learn how to share the road with splitting motorcycles by reading about it, they have to experience it, make mistakes and learn.......do you know why lane splitting works so well in other places?? because it became the norm, but it wasn't always the norm, i'm sure there was a learning curve there as well

Question is, was the OP driving? Kind of looks like OP was sitting in traffic, pulled out his/her phone and took a picture out the window. Would that make the OP the idiot for using his/her phone while driving?

Correct me if I'm wrong OP - you may have very well been a pedestrian passing by taking a picture.

OMG! He was riding on the shoulder? Why that's against the LAW! Nobody ever does that do they? I mean, break the law? Especially a law so serious?

But really, does anyone care if a motorcyclist cuts up a shoulder? If they do they must lead a really boring life, or they have anger management problems with people getting in front of them.

Cut up the shoulder? Did it safely and didn't get caught? Guy's a f'n hero in my book. Long live the spirit of the rebel.

Question is, was the OP driving? Kind of looks like OP was sitting in traffic, pulled out his/her phone and took a picture out the window. Would that make the OP the idiot for using his/her phone while driving?

Correct me if I'm wrong OP - you may have very well been a pedestrian passing by taking a picture.

I was in my wife's cage when he passed us (on the same ramp). I got out and walked across the street to the subway station and took the pic from there (at which point he had been pulled over).

OMG! He was riding on the shoulder? Why that's against the LAW! Nobody ever does that do they? I mean, break the law? Especially a law so serious?

But really, does anyone care if a motorcyclist cuts up a shoulder? If they do they must lead a really boring life, or they have anger management problems with people getting in front of them.

Cut up the shoulder? Did it safely and didn't get caught? Guy's a f'n hero in my book. Long live the spirit of the rebel.

You sound like Rob Ford, like everyone else is a sucker for waiting in line and that somehow you're God's little snowflake and too good to wait like everyone else. And exactly why the public has such a dim view of riders.

And I assume you didn't look at the photo... he did get caught...

Meh considering most cars take a few seconds to realize they have a left turn green and often there is a few car lengths between cars, cutting in with a bike won't really slow anyone down. It actually might speed things up.

Meh considering most cars take a few seconds to realize they have a left turn green and often there is a few car lengths between cars, cutting in with a bike won't really slow anyone down. It actually might speed things up.
You obviously haven't been at the Allen and Eglinton in the last two years, have you?

He was wearing his helmet. He took it off after the cop stopped him for riding on the shoulder (which, just so everyone is clear, is both illegal and potentially dangerous). It's also incredibly obnoxious, as riders have no divine right to bypass the line in an intersection.

Hold on a minute there pilgrim.. I was actually given the divine right to do so last Tuesday by father Sarducci.

54fde31c54639a723449e97b45012d94.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Wow, Guy on a bike broke the law. Hell most riders brake the laws every time they ride

While I don't necessarily agree with your characterization of most riders, what was novel was not that he was breaking the law, but that he was caught (riding on the shoulder right past a police cruiser).

That's pretty hardcore, for Toronto ;)

Jesus Christ the righteous attitudes in here... It feels like every other thread is an excuse to call someone an idiot these days.

Jesus Christ the righteous attitudes in here... It feels like every other thread is an excuse to call someone an idiot these days.

The only sub-forum on GTAM where there aren't people calling each other idiots is the Fallen Riders/Rider down because of the risk of getting banned. Otherwise, anyone that opens a thread will get flamed at one point or another.

Wiper fluid is the best, especially with your visor up (my brother in law did that to me - on the Allen no less). Stings a wee bit in the eyes.
This is you, isn't it?

article-2343765-1A60999B000005DC-659_634x404.jpg

Feels the need to make a thread on GTAM to get JUSTICE... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom