Trip around PA/OH/ WV... Tips wanted | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trip around PA/OH/ WV... Tips wanted

Bikerider

I will be off work July 18 - July 26th. I want to take a 4 or 5 day road trip and just boot around PA/OH/VW as I hear there are some epic roads in those states. I will be going alone and want to camp the entire time. How hard will it be for me to find camping spots if I don't plan my route in advance? Any roads that are must rides? any other tips are welcome. Also if anyone else has this time off and wants to join me then send a pm.

Thanks,

Last edited:
When I do a trip like this, I use one of the many online camping directories that show where they are located by state. I then save a draft email of different locations in the states I will be visiting, which is quick to access - so depending on where I am around 4pm each day, I can plan where is the closest place to crash. Something like: http://www.camping-usa.com/campgrounds/

You should have no problem finding places to camp. You could also check out the tent space thread on ADVrider for free places to pitch a tent. Look here for more info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869519

There are two forests on either side of Marietta, Ohio with excellent riding, but this is also farm country so there are many houses and smaller roads intersecting the nice twisty bits - be careful there. The riding in WV is flat out amazing considering how close it is to us.

When I do a trip like this, I use one of the many online camping directories that show where they are located by state. I then save a draft email of different locations in the states I will be visiting, which is quick to access - so depending on where I am around 4pm each day, I can plan where is the closest place to crash. Something like: http://www.camping-usa.com/campgrounds/

You should have no problem finding places to camp. You could also check out the tent space thread on ADVrider for free places to pitch a tent. Look here for more info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869519

There are two forests on either side of Marietta, Ohio with excellent riding, but this is also farm country so there are many houses and smaller roads intersecting the nice twisty bits - be careful there. The riding in WV is flat out amazing considering how close it is to us.

When I was going back from deals gap, I passed through WV on the interstate and even that was fun. I cant wait to do some actual roads there.

Ohio is one of my Fav places to ride. Go down about twice a year . Roads are amazing like Shane said. WV has tons of great roads. You can't go wrong in that area. Even the mountain area's are full of great roads. (George Washington - Jefferson - Monongahela Mountains)

The worst drivers I have experienced in my life are in Columbus Ohio.
They are aggressive, they take no prisoners and they change lanes without signalling and relish cutting each other off.
I have driven through Columbus twice in a car. I went 100 miles out of my way to avoid it on a motorcycle.

You have been warned. LOL

Last edited:
Im here now in Athens Ohio. Had a great time yesterday booting around the side roads. No traffic, no cops.

My GPS broke so Im mostly just winging it. Today Im gonna head east towards the mountains in WV.

The worst drivers I have experienced in my life are in Columbus Ohio.

Funny you mentioned that. Way back when working traffic on the Peace Bridge in between uni years the running joke wa any snarl up on the plaza there would be an Ohio driver in the middle of it. :rolleyes:

Need to stretch the legs of the new Wee......sounds like Ohio might be it.

Funny you mentioned that. Way back when working traffic on the Peace Bridge in between uni years the running joke wa any snarl up on the plaza there would be an Ohio driver in the middle of it. :rolleyes:

Need to stretch the legs of the new Wee......sounds like Ohio might be it.
Ohio was good but West Virginia is next level. Its got roads just like in North Carolina. Mountain passes, tight twisty roads, roads with sweepers. There are no straight roads to be found in that state.

Best part is little to no traffic and good clean roads.

That's too bad tho I'm not weekend restricted.

I was surprised how fast I could hit WV going down I-77.

You have a good base camp to ride Ohio from???

Marietta ohio is pretty good. Its between two forests and a ton of nice roads that go through rolling hills and farm land. Make sure you hit 555. I had no map or gps and was just taking random roads. Its all legit.

I like to do that....with Winding Roads on the TomTom app every turn is an adventure.
Sounds like a plan.

What police presence??

•••

Oh yeah - I like 77 - that was my route up from WV...long day that was.

Last edited:
If going to WV the I79 is actually a pretty cool interstate with lots of sweepers and hills. I rode Ohio on Monday this week and I saw very little police presence. The twisty's are very remote with minimal traffic. I'm not a local so I dont know the area at all but from what I saw it seems like a pretty safe place to have fun. There is camping in Wayne National Forest just outside of Marietta if that's your thing.

Back
Top Bottom