helmet shopping | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

helmet shopping

It's a lot cheaper to buy better ear plugs. On the track the noise doesn't bother me because I don't really have a chance to think about it. On the street however, a whistling visor will drive me nuts. (I always wear earplugs)

True--here's an example, sponsored by the UK Gov't, testing only for safety, not comfort or noise. As a result I wear Bell.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Edit: I've never been on track. Are helmet considerations different from helmets for the street? Perhaps noise reduction is worth a couple of hundred.

It's the other way around for the track, you want a lid that give's more venting (i.e) nosier. I suffer when i use the basic Bell Vortex on a hot day, even the RS-1 seems so much better for air flow.

If I had to buy a helmet right now, I would buy a Bell helmet at the GP sale so I can get a free transition visor, that visor alone cost me 160 and I freaking love it

I have a collection of x12s and a rf1100. Why? Because I like them. That said it's bell time for that transition visor. Gp has a good deal on some bell helmets right now. I just hope they fit my head.

I have a collection of x12s and a rf1100. Why? Because I like them. That said it's bell time for that transition visor. Gp has a good deal on some bell helmets right now. I just hope they fit my head.
I have an RS1 and fits really well, it also has space for the scala headphones, good ventilation and so far I am pretty happy with it, still my RF1200 is a lot better so I use the shoei for racing specially endurance

True--here's an example, sponsored by the UK Gov't, testing only for safety, not comfort or noise. As a result I wear Bell.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Edit: I've never been on track. Are helmet considerations different from helmets for the street? Perhaps noise reduction is worth a couple of hundred.

Sharp testing reveals little correlation between cost and safety. Arai and Shoei spend a lot of money on race sponsorship and marketing, that gets put on the customer. Note none of the big brands advertise more safety.
Fit matters. Air flow and heat comfort matter. Weight matters - that costs more.
People should be wearing hearing protection racing anyway, not rely on the helmet.

Snell is weird. It's one set of tests defined by one organization, and one set of opinions. So they won't certify internal visor full-face helmets (regardless of test results), but they will certify half-faced helmets. They do some 250g testing, but at a 250g hit, the neck will break before the skull is broken, so it's hard to see the point. Also, they only test what they are paid to test, and its very expensive.

Sharp tests impact, at 32 tests, with forces above ECE R22-05. But they only test impact. Again, hard to see the point of a crown weight drop at 250-300g when in reality, the spine will collapse.

Snell has two tests the others don't: visor penetration, and helmet roll-off. I think helmet roll-off is more important than 250g testing for a motorcycle, and while race series and clubs often dictate a testing standard, they should really have an expert testing fit, because Snell whatever is useless if the helmet just comes off.

John Hinds was asked about helmets from his experience with Irish road racing traumas -he notes they are all good now, and didn't promote one brand over another, and said he wore Arai because he was sponsored by Arai.

It's a lot cheaper to buy better ear plugs. On the track the noise doesn't bother me because I don't really have a chance to think about it. On the street however, a whistling visor will drive me nuts. (I always wear earplugs)

I was wondering about that the other day. I have an inexpensive HJC modular, but it whistles whenever I get a little speed going. Don't know if it bothers me enough to spend 2x - 3x what I did. Also, the voices in my head help drown out the wind noise. :S

I was wondering about that the other day. I have an inexpensive HJC modular, but it whistles whenever I get a little speed going. Don't know if it bothers me enough to spend 2x - 3x what I did. Also, the voices in my head help drown out the wind noise. :S
That whistling will damage your hearing. If earplugs don't help buy another helmet. Hearing does not come back over time.

I think most modular helmets whistle, since the helmet's pivot point is at the ear level. Like the earplugs though, especially on longer rides.

Two HJC's (one street, one track). I bring my spare Shark with me to the track in case I bust the HJC and the bike is still trackworthy :)

That whistling will damage your hearing. If earplugs don't help buy another helmet. Hearing does not come back over time.

Ok, that's scary. I did not realize that the whistling could be so harmful.
So how do I know if a helmet is going to whistle before I buy/ ride with it.

Ok, that's scary. I did not realize that the whistling could be so harmful.
So how do I know if a helmet is going to whistle before I buy/ ride with it.
Reviews and asking others who have the helmet are the only ways. You can also try to modify your helmet somehow to get rid of it. Like others have said, people pay high prices for helmets for less weight and noise reduction. I have 3 helmets right now, the Scorpion exo-900 modular helmet doesn't whistle and is a good price, but it is the heaviest helmet I own. Not a track helmet, sorry to get off topic.

I was also looking for a dedicated track helmet and was thinking buying a nicer pricier helmet.

Last edited:
I'm not too worried about a heavy helmet, as my HJC is pretty heavy. I also have a fat neck to support it. ?
Will look into the Scorpion. My only previous requirement for a helmet was one that would be comfortable with my glasses.

I'm not too worried about a heavy helmet, as my HJC is pretty heavy. I also have a fat neck to support it. ?
Will look into the Scorpion. My only previous requirement for a helmet was one that would be comfortable with my glasses.
I am at Royal Distributing right now and they are on sale 50% off $149.99. Bought a neon high viz one to go with my black one.

Just bought a Shoei rf1200 last weekend and it's Snell 2015 rated. Was on sale at gpbikes for 449. Reg 719. Lots there and lots of variety. But double check for the sticker not ALL are snell 2015 but most are.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sharp testing reveals little correlation between cost and safety. Arai and Shoei spend a lot of money on race sponsorship and marketing, that gets put on the customer. Note none of the big brands advertise more safety.
Fit matters. Air flow and heat comfort matter. Weight matters - that costs more.
People should be wearing hearing protection racing anyway, not rely on the helmet.

Snell is weird. It's one set of tests defined by one organization, and one set of opinions. So they won't certify internal visor full-face helmets (regardless of test results), but they will certify half-faced helmets. They do some 250g testing, but at a 250g hit, the neck will break before the skull is broken, so it's hard to see the point. Also, they only test what they are paid to test, and its very expensive.

Sharp tests impact, at 32 tests, with forces above ECE R22-05. But they only test impact. Again, hard to see the point of a crown weight drop at 250-300g when in reality, the spine will collapse.

Snell has two tests the others don't: visor penetration, and helmet roll-off. I think helmet roll-off is more important than 250g testing for a motorcycle, and while race series and clubs often dictate a testing standard, they should really have an expert testing fit, because Snell whatever is useless if the helmet just comes off.

John Hinds was asked about helmets from his experience with Irish road racing traumas -he notes they are all good now, and didn't promote one brand over another, and said he wore Arai because he was sponsored by Arai.

Good point about neck and spine injuries. Nowadays all helmets can withstand abuse . $$$ is the name and comfort/design.

Tried on an Arai helmet at Marinello today. Light. Comfortable. Expensive (for me). And still a b**** to get my glasses in. Never would have fit if I didn't have flex frames. Definitely gonna look at the Shark modular for my next helmet.

I think most modular helmets whistle, since the helmet's pivot point is at the ear level. Like the earplugs though, especially on longer rides.

My modular doesn't whistle, modulars are typically quite aero with all the pivot points recessed. I can't go back to a one-piece and like the internal visor because it's fast and darker than the transition ones I tried.

Anyway, use earplugs. All chronic riders my age are now starting to complain about tinnitus. I wore earplugs at loud summer jobs and concerts religiously, it was the bike that produced the tinnitus. The noise frequency damage is not detectable at the time, but when you get older, those inner ear hair cells die off and tinnitus starts and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

I went helmet shopping last week. Tried on a shoei rf1200, and qwest, neither fit, the gt air fit nice but was $800 or so. I bought an HJC fg17, fits like a glove, light compared to my modular, flows a ton of air. I love this helmet, came with clear and smoked lens and pin lock for both. Quiet until you open the upper vents, not bothersome with ear plugs.
Edit: forgot to add, sunglasses fit very comfortably, and the "silvercool" liner is great.

Last edited:
Tried on an Arai helmet at Marinello today. Light. Comfortable. Expensive (for me). And still a b**** to get my glasses in. Never would have fit if I didn't have flex frames. Definitely gonna look at the Shark modular for my next helmet.
I can fit glasses inside my non-modular Shark RSR2 as well as in both my HJC's. Just an fyi.

Back
Top Bottom