How are you guys finding affordable insurace? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How are you guys finding affordable insurace?

Xaxxus

It seems as though every company bases their insurance on CC rating.

I am 24 yrs old currently with a suzuki GW250. I am paying 1450 per year for full coverage at Surnet Insurance (cheapest i could get for my 250 when i originally got my m2 last year).

Its almost the end of my second riding season, I want to upgrade to something bigger, my 250 struggles on the highway and frankly, its way too small for me (I am 6 ft 4, 230 pounds).

The bikes I have been looking at are the SV650, NC700X, Yamaha Bolt, Kawasaki Vulcan S, or a used Ducati Diavel (would be my ideal bike, but insurance is killer on these).

All of these bikes are running quotes of around 4-$6000 per year. How the hell is anyone supposed to afford this? My Camaro 2SS is only 2500 per year on insurance. I have one ticket to my name and it was a minor conviction (improper lane change).

It seems as though every company bases their insurance on CC rating.

I am 24 yrs old currently with a suzuki GW250. I am paying 1450 per year for full coverage at Surnet Insurance (cheapest i could get for my 250 when i originally got my m2 last year).

Its almost the end of my second riding season, I want to upgrade to something bigger, my 250 struggles on the highway and frankly, its way too small for me (I am 6 ft 4, 230 pounds).

The bikes I have been looking at are the SV650, NC700X, Yamaha Bolt, Kawasaki Vulcan S, or a used Ducati Diavel (would be my ideal bike, but insurance is killer on these).

All of these bikes are running quotes of around 4-$6000 per year. How the hell is anyone supposed to afford this? My Camaro 2SS is only 2500 per year on insurance. I have one ticket to my name and it was a minor conviction (improper lane change).

I think that's the point. You aren't supposed to be able to afford it.

Really makes me want to move out of ontario.

Amen. I won't even get started but insurance here is a joke at best. That's as nicely as I can put it. Your age isn't helping you with the bike though. They like you to be a dinosaur here before giving out discounts.

Amen. I won't even get started but insurance here is a joke at best. That's as nicely as I can put it. Your age isn't helping you with the bike though. They like you to be a dinosaur here before giving out discounts.

By the time im old enough for motorcycle insurance to be reasonable, I will be too decrepit to even ride one.

Hence my dinosaur comment. Living in the gta is strike one. Age is strike two. Size of bike is strike three. I think it's all bs and it should be based on you and your record for insurance but apparently that's wrong and we should all pay for the ******** who live here and drive like morons. :dontknow:

Are those online quotes or did you call around to agents and brokers?

Also, do you need full coverage on some bikes? Sometimes it's cheaper to have liability + comprehensive (fire, theft) and remove collision.

Shop around, you should be able to find better rates than 6K/yr

Shop around. No way in hell the bikes I highlighted should be that expensive. Bundle your car, bikes, and house you'll get even deeper discounts. When you hit your late 20s and early 30s it will drop dramatically as well. Hopefully you're not decrepit by then ;)

Not to say it is crazy to go to a Diavel, but I would suggest perhaps going to the middle Monster on the way there. Cost of insurance as well as bike will help you there.

Where did you get those quotes from?

While insurance in Ontario is expensive, those quotes are WAY above the norm. You should easily be able to insure any of the bikes you mentioned for less than $2500/yr.

Hence my dinosaur comment. Living in the gta is strike one. Age is strike two. Size of bike is strike three. I think it's all bs and it should be based on you and your record for insurance but apparently that's wrong and we should all pay for the ******** who live here and drive like morons. :dontknow:

Can't blame it on inequal payments; ****** drivers pay even more dearly than good drivers. We're talking thousands more. I've seen quotes upwards of $8000 with 2 tickets and 1 accident.

To the OP: Bundle with your car, and shop your whole policy (both vehicles, home/tenant if applicable) to different insurance co's and brokers. Get your M. At 24 I'm paying approx. $1500 for just about any Japanese bike under 1000cc, big or small. 1 minor ticket.

I live in Whitby though, which is a bit better than Toronto.

Last edited:
Make that "Move out of Canada". It's pretty bad everywhere from what I read. The east coast may be better.

BTW I'm a dinosaur and I don't get cheap insurance.

Pretty much this.

A friend of mine recently moved to Australia. Where she is living theres almost no rain, its sunny all the time and it doesnt snow. Its like dream weather I could sell my car and ride nothing but my motorcycle.

Can't blame it on inequal payments; ****** drivers pay even more dearly than good drivers. We're talking thousands more. I've seen quotes upwards of $8000 with 2 tickets and 1 accident.

To the OP: Bundle with your car, and shop your whole policy (both vehicles, home/tenant if applicable) to different insurance co's and brokers. Get your M. At 24 I'm paying approx. $1500 for just about any Japanese bike under 1000cc, big or small. 1 minor ticket.

I was thinking of sticking it out one more year. My biggest concern is the wear and tear im putting on my poor bike taking the highways right now. Its red-lined in 6th gear the whole way to work (only takes me 30 min on the highway with the HOV lanes). I dont really have the option to take my car (at least not until the pan am games are over) because I would be 2 hrs in traffic each way.

I wouldn't worry about the wear and tear. It will be fine.

Insurance will drop dramatically after 25. You're also in Toronto proper which means higher rates. Mine jumped by $700/yr just by moving from outside of Guelph to Toronto.

When I got a 650R at 24, living outside of Guelph, I was paying $430/month.

$430 a month?? Or is that yearly??

I wouldn't worry about the wear and tear. It will be fine.

Insurance will drop dramatically after 25. You're also in Toronto proper which means higher rates. Mine jumped by $700/yr just by moving from outside of Guelph to Toronto.

When I got a 650R at 24, living outside of Guelph, I was paying $430/month.

No. That was monthly and didn't include my car. Even now on my 125 I'm paying about $540/year for just the bike. Clean record.

Back
Top Bottom