Touring New York State over a couple of days.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring New York State over a couple of days....

Geo Bay

We are touring NY state over 5 days. We have 3 nights booked in Lake Placid. I am looking to book a 1 night stay in Ithaca. Any suggestions??

I'm doing a car trip there soon. Booked Super 8 for Ithaca as it was the cheapest downtown hotel. Lake Placid accommodation is pricey usually, hope you got a good deal. Lots to do in Upper NY State, depends what you're in to.

Riding or driving? I rode from watertown to lake placid on hwy 3 a couple weeks ago. It's a really nice scenic flowing curvy road. You could also take I90 to 365 to 8 or I90 to 365 to 30 and up. Any of those ways have nice views. Watch yourself in the little towns when the limit drops. The state troops are more clever at hiding than our cops. Depending on how long you're in Ithaca, go check out Watkins Glen state park. It's pretty cool too. I didn't get to stop but I hear the food at Borio's on Oneida lake is good and the views on their patio are killer. Hope that helps

Thanks for the info! We will be on our bikes. We have been riding for a couple of years but just around Ontario. This will be our first holiday riding the bike. We will be taking hwy 3 into Lake Placid so thanks for the tips with regards to the state troopers.
This is our first holiday on the road and hopefully the start of many more!

If you heading East, always fun to stop by O.C.C for a tour and check out some cool builds. Prices are high for clothes and the food from ther diner is meh, but still a nice ride.

Some good riding around Lake Placid - this is useful.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/New-York_108.html

and do go up Whiteface..it's gorgeous but take it slow - the road is "ahem" rather interesting :D

I assume you are going via slab ....if so - cutting off before Kingston and taking the Wolfe Island Ferry to get into New York makes for some variety .....do check the times tho.

http://www.wolfeisland.com/ferry.php

Mind the deer....loads of them.
Have fun...if on the weekend be prepared for heavy traffic around Lake Placid with Saturday being the turn over point as a bunch leaving and a bunch coming for the next week. Cops around picking off the too eager.

You may have time to sneak into Vermont...the route along the Mad River is pretty but some roads were badly damaged by floods and then the hard freeze. Do some homework first.
I think some of my teeth are still loose. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks MacDoc for the info! I will definitely check this out.
We are still in the air about Ithaca or Watkins Glen. What would be a better choice for an overnight?

Thanks MacDoc for the info! I will definitely check this out.
We are still in the air about Ithaca or Watkins Glen. What would be a better choice for an overnight?

Not much around Watkins glen except for the park and wineries. Great park though but there are waterfalls all around this area. Ithaca is a university town with a bit more going on. I saw that theres a state park down Cayuga lake that has one of the highest waterfalls arounhd at 200 feet or so. That looks interesting. There's also distilleries there (and breweries and wineries too).

If you choose Watkins Glen DO NOT BOOK IF THERE'S A NASCAR RACE ON. You'll never get accomodation...it's like a redneck mass party.

The Wolf Island ferry then Cape Vincent ferry is usually a good option but right now the Kingston-Wolf Island portion is on a reduced service smaller ferry as the main one is being repaired. Not sure what this has done in terms of delays.

Back
Top Bottom