You've won a cruise - please make it stop | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

You've won a cruise - please make it stop

HAH! As if on cue, I got another call minutes after I posted in this thread. But ... you gave me an idea. I pressed the button to accept the offer, then there were a couple of questions which were obviously being asked by an automated voice, and then it connected me to an operator ... and I told them that they were talking to someone who did not want to get any more of their phone calls. Remains to be seen whether that worked.

... it doesnt.

I have yelled at them, and called them every name and the calls still continue.

AWESOME!!!!!! Hey guys, I just won a free cruise! Isn't that awesome!

I wonder if we'll go through the Forks or Snake Road or maybe the 507 ...

:D

if you are with Rogers, you can use one number to block them. I never get any of these calls on my personal phone because I use one number. I get them all the time on my work cell and office line.

I never give anyone my phone number who I do not know.

I never answer to any # I do not know. I am fortunate to not be bothered at all because I do night shifts

I was getting multiple calls from these scammers on my home phone and my cell - drove me nuts.

Tried pressing "1" or whatever and asking to be removed from their list, and the guy started using profanity right out of the gate. It was clear it was an overseas operation using VOIP and number spoofing (as someone else mentioned - the phone numbers seemed random, but local) and they didn't care at all.

We use VOIP.ms for our home phone and through them we set up an IVR to screen calls (it's a free option), so now any call to our home gets a recorded message that a live human needs to press "2" to be connected. Any other number and the system plays the "disconnected" number tone. If there's no response after 15 seconds the system plays the "disconnected" number tone and hangs up.

There's a whitelist option so common numbers (my wifes cell, work etc) can bypass the IVR automatically.

Another option they have is to send any "private" or "unknown" phone number straight to voicemail.

This arrangement is working for us, and now I only get the occasional call on my cell when I'm out and about (I've set up Tasker on my cell to automatically forward my cell to our home number as soon as I get home, and to unforward it when I leave which has further reduced the annoyance).

Last edited:
Do not forget that I am Italian....my people do stuff like that for, well, you know.
Btw, how did the concrete turn out?

I never forget you're Italian, and despite factoring in the usual allowances, I guess we just had our first awkward moment. Three bags window sill turned out fine thanx for asking.

Maybe you should look up "shenanigans".

shenanigans is a mostly Irish thing, but I think my Irish friends are more talking high-jinx and tomfoolery when the phrase comes up. Usually not setting anybody on fire. But if it came to that they are easily distracted with a potato.

However my cousin just back from seeing family in Scotland told the story of a cousin we lost (4oo yrs ago) when he soured a local Lord who put him in a barrel, drove nails through the barrel , coated it with tar and set it on fire just before rolling it down a hill. Now that's some shenanigans.

I've tried telling them I'm either serving weekends in jail for the next two years, mistakenly on a "do not fly" terrorist list, or that I've already won enough free cruises to keep me booked into 2017.

For some reason none of that has worked to dissuade them from calling again and again.

shenanigans is a mostly Irish thing, but I think my Irish friends are more talking high-jinx and tomfoolery when the phrase comes up. Usually not setting anybody on fire. But if it came to that they are easily distracted with a potato.

However my cousin just back from seeing family in Scotland told the story of a cousin we lost (4oo yrs ago) when he soured a local Lord who put him in a barrel, drove nails through the barrel , coated it with tar and set it on fire just before rolling it down a hill. Now that's some shenanigans.

Unfortunately I don't have that rich history to draw on. The most dastardly, and I almost hesitate to you that word, use of shenanigans I can recall happened in the movie Juno where the title character played by the sweet Ellen Page refers to an unplanned pregnancy as "shenanigans" vis-a-vis "what other kind of shenanigans can I get into?".

Unfortunately I don't have that rich history to draw on. The most dastardly, and I almost hesitate to you that word, use of shenanigans I can recall happened in the movie Juno where the title character played by the sweet Ellen Page refers to an unplanned pregnancy as "shenanigans" vis-a-vis "what other kind of shenanigans can I get into?".

See, that was her mistake...it wasn't shenanigans that got into her that got her pregnant...smh...maybe Wynn has something here with the sex ed...

Also, now have a desire to listen to House of Pain's "Shamrocks and Shenanigans".

I thought that in Canada we're one of the few countries where we also pay for incoming calls on mobile phones (they eat into our calling minutes). So Rogers saying "there's nothing we can do" for example is very convenient for them as ultimately we're paying or at the least, our plans are being eaten up by these calls. It's bad enough that I only give my phone number out for friends or emergency contacts.

Yea but currently its true there is nothing that can be done to stop number spoofing from overseas call Centers. Also the Law enforcements it those countries don't care much.

Blocking by country would be nice... I don't think I've ever had a legitimate call to my current number that originated from another continent. I'm a very boring person

But they spoof the numbers so again it wont work.

I don't mean blocking by country code on your phone. It would have to be a carrier service - they would be able to tell roughly where it's coming from.

I don't mean blocking by country code on your phone. It would have to be a carrier service - they would be able to tell roughly where it's coming from.

Probably not most of these CC's are using Voip possibly through a US PBX calling it would still look like it was routing from within the US.

Once they get Obama's number, it will end:

Drone11111111-156150-165663-166189-167951-640x480.jpg

Back
Top Bottom