You've won a cruise - please make it stop | GTAMotorcycle.com

You've won a cruise - please make it stop

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
I made a mistake somewhere, I don't know where*, but sometime late last winter telemarketers got a hold of my cell phone number. My voicemail is inundated with messages about cruises or money I've won, they all look like they're coming from a 416 number (but actually coming from 41 or something). Is any refuge from this agony? Do I have to set my phone aflame in the centre of a pentagram?

*Slight suspicion it was from signing up for the Canadian DNC list

I made a mistake somewhere, I don't know where*, but sometime late last winter telemarketers got a hold of my cell phone number. My voicemail is inundated with messages about cruises or money I've won, they all look like they're coming from a 416 number (but actually coming from 41 or something). Is any refuge from this agony? Do I have to set my phone aflame in the centre of a pentagram?

*Slight suspicion it was from signing up for the Canadian DNC list

416-459-xxxx? I get them too - all the friggin time.

"Hi! This is your Captain speaking..."
"your last flight has won you...."
I get them from 416-818-xxxx numbers. Isn't there a call block feature?

If you have an Android phone -> Dead2Me
Works like a charm!

I get the same from 416 220 - xxxx

I have signed up the Canada DNC list. but these won't stop. I have iPhone. any ideas??

I get quite a few calls on both my work and personal cells...always starting with the same area code and prefix. It enrages me when a voicemail is left and it's just a recording, so I just swipe to answer the call and hang up. Usually it's Westjet or Marriott hotels.

I've gotten these calls while riding through my SENA. If I could find the person who is responsible for these bot calls, I'd do a burn out on their face for all of us.

For a while I was getting a ridiculous amount of calls from "Marriott Hotels".....I was bored at work one day and called their customer service in the States....I was assured it was a scam and it wasn't the real Marriott and there was nothing they could do about it.

Strange thing is, I haven't received any more annoying calls since then.

These calls seem to come in waves. I'll get a dozen or so during a month, both to my work cell and work landline, then nothing for a couple months.

These calls seem to come in waves. I'll get a dozen or so during a month, both to my work cell and work landline, then nothing for a couple months.

I remember there was a different operation a few years ago that would call my work phone & personal phone (they were just robo dialing, as everyone in the office would get the same call). It would always start with playing a recording of a ship's horn. However, you could press a number to accept the offer or whatever and then it would connect you to a human being. Once I figured that out, a single satisfying conversation took place and they left both my office & myself alone.

油井緋色;2325350 said:
I've gotten these calls while riding through my SENA. If I could find the person who is responsible for these bot calls, I'd do a burn out on their face for all of us.

I don't usually agree with your shenanigans, but I would fully support you on this. :p

Maybe you should look up "shenanigans".

Same here, all the calls come from a 416-[first three digits of your own Ph number]-random numbers.

I sure want to punch those fackers in the face.

Maybe you should look up "shenanigans".

nouninformal
secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering.
"widespread financial shenanigans had ruined the fortunes of many"
silly or high-spirited behavior; mischief.

Same here, all the calls come from a 416-[first three digits of your own Ph number]-random numbers.

I sure want to punch those fackers in the face.

I am getting those, too. If I see 416-[same 3 digits as my own phone number]-XXXX, I don't even pick up the call, I know it's the telemarketer.

I also tried calling Marriott Hotels, but they basically said "it's not us". And I tried calling Rogers. Nothing they can do, either.

nouninformal
secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering.
"widespread financial shenanigans had ruined the fortunes of many"
SILLY OR HIGH-SPIRITED BEHAVIOR; MISCHIEF.

Yup. It means what I thought it did. Not sure what Inreb was referring to...

That's a fun word to say...shenanigans.

Yup. It means what I thought it did. Not sure what Inreb was referring to...

Ya, I guess you could use silly and high spirited in reference to burn out on a face. What about a cigarette extinguished on an eyeball? Surely that falls under the shenanigan umbrella as well.

Ya, I guess you could use silly and high spirited in reference to burn out on a face. What about a cigarette extinguished on an eyeball? Surely that falls under the shenanigan umbrella as well.

Do not forget that I am Italian....my people do stuff like that for, well, you know.
Btw, how did the concrete turn out?

I remember there was a different operation a few years ago that would call my work phone & personal phone (they were just robo dialing, as everyone in the office would get the same call). It would always start with playing a recording of a ship's horn. However, you could press a number to accept the offer or whatever and then it would connect you to a human being. Once I figured that out, a single satisfying conversation took place and they left both my office & myself alone.

HAH! As if on cue, I got another call minutes after I posted in this thread. But ... you gave me an idea. I pressed the button to accept the offer, then there were a couple of questions which were obviously being asked by an automated voice, and then it connected me to an operator ... and I told them that they were talking to someone who did not want to get any more of their phone calls. Remains to be seen whether that worked.

Back
Top Bottom