Track day tires. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track day tires.

Whybaby

Hey guys just came back from the track and I need new tires! Thinking of upgrading from gt501s to bt003s. These tires are for my ninja 250r. There should be a significant improvement in terms of grip. I'm upgrading from a 140- 70-17 rear to 150 - 60-17.

Now my question is what size should I get for the front. A 110-70-17 or a 120 - 60-17. How does each front tire size affect my bike handling? If I get a smaller front with a higher aspect ratio in combination with a 150-60 - 17 rear, will it throw off the balance of the bike because now I have a taller front.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

It's hard to say how it will affect your specific bike, but in general wider tires tend to slow down steering. A bigger concern when playing around with different sizes is the potential to affect how your bike tracks in the corners. If you don't have adjustable aftermarket suspension (sounds like you don't since you're fairly new to this) then I would recommend staying with stock sizes for now, unless somebody EXPERIENCED with a 250R can give you some real life feedback on their experience.

stick to the stock sizes...

edit... read you tracked.... no way to know unless you try but adjustable suspension will save your heiney incase you incorrectly predict your bikes steering and handling.

Last edited:
I had the BT 003 on a ninja 250 use the 140 rear and 110 front. Best combo for the track you should be able to drag the front fairing with that combo.

sent from a device using a program

A little off topic. Has anyone used a 180/60 instead on 180/55. My understanding is a bigger contact patch. Do you have to raise the front or lower the rear, or is it a try it and go from there. Pirelli sp, on a 2010 gsxr 600.

A little off topic. Has anyone used a 180/60 instead on 180/55. My understanding is a bigger contact patch. Do you have to raise the front or lower the rear, or is it a try it and go from there. Pirelli sp, on a 2010 gsxr 600.

I run the 180/60 Pirelli SC on my 05 R6. I like it alot. It made the R6 more stable mid corner. But then the R6 likes to be pointed.

It may require some geometry changes, but you may not even notice. Do watch for clearance on your rear fender, and consider if a tire warmer will still fit. Side note, try the Diablo SC (in SC2 compound). From my experience it's a much better tire than the SP and lasts longer too.

I had the BT 003 on a ninja 250 use the 140 rear and 110 front. Best combo for the track you should be able to drag the front fairing with that combo.

sent from a device using a program
I have also read that it is best to stay with 140 for the 250r and using the 150 is okay with the 300 because it has a wider rim.

We run Pirelli Rosso II tires on our Honda CBR250 Endurance Racing bike and they are awesome. They handle wet or dry at track speeds and wear very well. If you are going to ride on the track, consult with a vendor who sells tires to racers as they will be able to give you the best info. parillaguy

We run Pirelli Rosso II tires on our Honda CBR250 Endurance Racing bike and they are awesome. They handle wet or dry at track speeds and wear very well. If you are going to ride on the track, consult with a vendor who sells tires to racers as they will be able to give you the best info. parillaguy
We have run the Rosso II 110/140 on the cbr250 for 3 years. Good grip. Ok in the rain. Great longevity. I have run 1 set out to close to 1800 kms before they became unmanageable at race pace.The Dunlop Unbeaten for CSBK were 110/150 and we always struggled with turn in and rear grip.You do not want the Unbeaten for damp or wet.Pirelli now offers the Diablo SC in 110/140.If you find you reach the limits of the Rosso II the Diablo SC are firmly planted. Of course longevity will be impacted and I of course would move back to the Rosso II in wet.Kennedy Motorsports offer a Michelin that is awesome in the wet. He doesn't stock them

I used these on my 2002 GSXR600 and now on my 09 GSXR750. Night and day from the /55. Tips it a bit on its nose, but I felt it actually improved handling, as well as drive out of the corners. If you are riding it well enough to notice you are pushing the front (which is basically AM600 podium pace), then talk to a suspension expert to check if its a geometry problem and not something simpler to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom