Boots with Ankle Hinge Design | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boots with Ankle Hinge Design

Re: Boots with Ankle Hinge Design?

^^ thanks for that list - I've been lusting for a pair of Daytona's for a while now and am going to check out that place in Oakville. Riders Choice had some at one of the shows and they had quite a few models of the Daytona lineup. I wish their better street boots were waterproof, but it seems that their touring boots are the only Goretex ones, and they have less protection... unless I'm missing something.

They make the evo sports in a goretex version.

They make the evo sports in a goretex version.

Voltex and Sports with GTX on the end are both Goretex.

IMO, the Daytona's are ugly as hell.

For me, I think the Axial in combines the best in terms of style, comfort, and protection.

For me, I think the Axial in combines the best in terms of style, comfort, and protection.
They're also the most expensive option from Dainese.

Wonder if having the upper portion of the D-Axial system inside the boots eliminates or reduces the squeaking I've read about in the hinges where the two plastic halves meet. I'd presume there must be some of the outer boot material squashed in the hinge?

They're also the most expensive option from Dainese.

Wonder if having the upper portion of the D-Axial system inside the boots eliminates or reduces the squeaking I've read about in the hinges where the two plastic halves meet. I'd presume there must be some of the outer boot material squashed in the hinge?

Yes that is true. I was just going by what you wanted in a boot. The boots with the ankle hinges are usually only found in the higher end spectrum of boots. You also wanted something that didn't look like a ski boot and comfortable enough to walk in. And if you wear the Axials under jeans, they can almost pass for just regular moto shoes.

Regarding the squeak, my Axials squeak way less than my TCX's. I'm unsure as to why though. :)

I think for me it'll be between the Dainese TRQ-Tour (doesn't look like a ski boot, about half the price of the Axials but still not their cheapest boot) or the Daytona EVO Sports (only twice the price of the TRQ-Tour instead of 3x lol). Will have to visit Riders Choice one of these days.

Forgot to mention, I inquired again about Daytonas at Riders Choice and they have Roadstar GTX, Ladystar, Evo Sport, and Security Evo G3 in stock but can also get the Evo Voltex. The Evo models are the only ones with this ankle system.

Depends if you are trying to match footwear to your rim tape i guess...

Meh, whatever floats yer boat. Style is subjective.

And I hate rim tape.

I'm not sure how stiff the ankle of these boots are, but excessive ankle extension forces could be transmitted up to the next higher joint, which is the knee. The force must go somewhere.

The late John Hinds, aka, "The Flying Doctor" of Irish Road racing has a lecture in which he described a common event of riders putting down a foot at high speed as an instinct, which results in twisting the foot backwards, dislocating the knee and often the hip. These boots won't help with that, and will likely transmit more force upwards at lower speeds.
This is a great, but often gruesome lecture from Hinds after being first trauma responder for >2,000 crashes.

[video=youtube;MsZBXlTHPCg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg[/video]

The late John Hinds, aka, "The Flying Doctor" of Irish Road racing has a lecture in which he described a common event of riders putting down a foot at high speed as an instinct, which results in twisting the foot backwards, dislocating the knee and often the hip. These boots won't help with that, and will likely transmit more force upwards at lower speeds.
This is a great, but often gruesome lecture from Hinds after being first trauma responder for >2,000 crashes.

[video=youtube;MsZBXlTHPCg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg[/video]

What would you look for in a boot, then?

What would you look for in a boot, then?

Abrasion resistance, comfort for good shifting and braking feel. Good air flow while still maintaining abrasion resistance. Some of these boots don't allow good pedal and shifter feel. Not so important with quick shifters. If they aren't comfortable on the bike, they will tend to stay in the closet.
For street, any motorcycle-specific boot will do, the important thing is that they not pull off and protect from abrasion if your boot is trapped under the bike. They sell ankle twist protection in pricier boots, but this means more knee/hip risk, and if you watch the video, below the knee amputation. (frankly, the lecture shows the insanity of road racing, and road racers, and even spectators).

But any motorcycle boot (not the fashion crap they sell at Cruiser shops) is better than shoes.

Most pro riders go with what their sponsors provide. Hinds used Daytonas, but he was sponsored by Daytona. He lauded helmet tech for saving a lot of lives, but doesn't really discuss any other gear other than aero humps which he disliked.
Some riders spec titanium toe and heel sliders over plastic, but that's racing.

Another thing to consider is a swingarm sharkfin toe guard for track, as boots do end up between the chain and the sprocket, and no boot will protect from that. Again, depends on the application.

Last edited:

Abrasion resistance, comfort for good shifting and braking feel. Good air flow while still maintaining abrasion resistance. Some of these boots don't allow good pedal and shifter feel. Not so important with quick shifters. If they aren't comfortable on the bike, they will tend to stay in the closet.
For street, any motorcycle-specific boot will do, the important thing is that they not pull off and protect from abrasion if your boot is trapped under the bike. They sell ankle twist protection in pricier boots, but this means more knee/hip risk.

But any motorcycle boot (not the fashion crap they sell at Cruiser shops) is better than shoes.

Most pro riders go with what their sponsors provide. Hinds used Daytonas, but he was sponsored by Daytona. He lauded helmet tech for saving a lot of lives, but doesn't really discuss any other gear other than aero humps which he disliked.
Some riders spec titanium toe and heel sliders over plastic, but that's racing.

Another thing to consider is a swingarm sharkfin toe guard for track, as boots do end up between the chain and the sprocket, and no boot will protect from that. Again, depends on the application.

These comments would send me towards something like the SWAT boots that are popping up at many bike shops now. That's what I was originally thinking of but then I thought I should get something with more ankle protection. I rode in safety boots for years because I didn't like my Sidis much but they wore out so I starting using the Sidis since I had no other boots.

Any advice on how to stop the ankle hinge squeak? My A*s are terrible - but comfy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any advice on how to stop the ankle hinge squeak? My A*s are terrible - but comfy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read that silicone lubricant will work for a little while.

They're not the flashiest but when I see a guy wearing them I feel like he gains more respect because he knows that those boots are the best and doesn't care if the timmies crew think they look bad.

I still haven't gotten new boots.

Looked at the Sidi Armada at the motorcycle show. From what I read they have an ankle brace system. The lower portion is supposed to be inside the boot and then the upper is removable and external but connects to the lower through the side of the boot. However, on seeing them in person the bottom is actually not braced so I'm not sure what the point of the upper plastic side braces are.

The Dainese TRQ Tours looked nice but they didn't have my size.

Sidi Adventure looked good but are a bit tall and reviews say they do not work well on a sport bike due to limited range of motion.

Daytonas definitely had the stiffest ankle protection I saw at the show but they are 2-3 times the price of all the other options ($750+ vs ~$400).

I ended up getting a pair of the Daytona Evo Sport GTX boots. Asides from seeming like they will offer really good protection, they are surprisingly comfortable to walk in. I also like that I can keep the inner boot and order a replacement outer boot when it's time comes. There is also excellent feel for the shifter.

Back
Top Bottom