So who's building a 300 track bike? | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

So who's building a 300 track bike?

So its looking like I'll be in Ontario for the summer and the likelihood of grabbing another bike specifically for the track is increasing.

I'm in a toss up for what I should budget and if I should aim for a 300 or a 250. Seems like I can grab a stock Ninja 250 for around $2000. Stock 300 Ninjas seem to be $3500 on the lower end. That $1500 difference could be 3 extra race weekends, no?

My goal is FUN and to get better at riding. I'd be completely happy finishing last as long as my personal lap times are improving. So if I can improve while spending less, that sounds pretty good to me. How much less fun would it be racing on a 250 and being passed on the straights by the 300s....or is this a completely personal thing? It's not exactly a team sport.

Also, what is a typical race weekend expenses? Transponder? Tires? Oil? Camping/accommodations? Entry Fees? How much track time do you actually get for the fees between practicing and races? It's not exactly clear on the RACE/SOAR websites.

I did the Racer5 3 day course last spring and had a blast on the CBR125s!! I've owned a Ninja 500 and currently on a Street Triple 675…reeaaaallly don't want to use that on the track. It's too pretty. I like the idea of small bikes on the track too.

So i guess my questions are if I go "cheap" with a 250, will I sacrifice fun factor? And what are a more clear breakdown of expenses for a race weekend with small bikes and how much track time do you actually get?

At RACE last year I'm pretty sure Eric Quinten (bad spelling) won 300 prod'n on a CBR - you'll have fun regardless of which bike you are on!

take advantage of the mentor program and you will have someone to answer all your questions, and you will save money. As for track time, you'll get plenty of seat time during the weekend - and you could bump up to a 2nd or even a 3rd class if you choose. try to get out to the friday practice before each race weekend for lots of fun practice time.

"Originally posted by Owen
So its looking like I'll be in Ontario for the summer and the likelihood of grabbing another bike specifically for the track is increasing.
I'm in a toss up for what I should budget and if I should aim for a 300 or a 250. Seems like I can grab a stock Ninja 250 for around $2000. Stock 300 Ninjas seem to be $3500 on the lower end. That $1500 difference could be 3 extra race weekends, no?
My goal is FUN and to get better at riding. I'd be completely happy finishing last as long as my personal lap times are improving. So if I can improve while spending less, that sounds pretty good to me. How much less fun would it be racing on a 250 and being passed on the straights by the 300s....or is this a completely personal thing? It's not exactly a team sport."

At RACE last year I'm pretty sure Eric Quinten (bad spelling) won 300 prod'n on a CBR - you'll have fun regardless of which bike you are on!

Yep, I believe Eric won every 300-Prod. race, last year, on a CBR 250R. His corner speed on the 250 was so good that he often blew away much faster machines (up to 600's) even on the Pro-track (at Shannonville) and certainly on the Long-track.
Jared Walker's performance (also on a 250) was in the same ballpark too....

I started racing on a CBR250R last year too, did a couple of races at the end of the season. My pace was far from those two guys but I improved by a second per lap each session and (most importantly) had a total blast for about $250 to $300 a weekend! The guys and competitors at RACE are very friendly and helpful both on and off the track.

So the 250 is not only cheaper but also ultimately competitive and great fun to ride too!
So much so that I'm selling my Ducati 996, it just isn't as much fun to ride as the 250 .... and would be WAY more expensive to crash of course!

Thanks a ton everyone! You've helped reinforce my decision to get on the track for as cheap as possible.

I'd probably be last on a fancy bike anyway haha. On the cheap bike, I'll win the **** eating ear-to-ear grin contest though.

.... and would be WAY more expensive to crash of course!
An pretty! same reason why I don't want to take my street bike on a track.

Thanks a ton for spelling it out for me! Seems like a fantastic amount of track time for the price. If I commit to a weekend, it makes sense to do multiple classes. In the beginning, I'll probably start with only one to see how my mental fatigue is by the end of the day/weekend. The amount of crashes (not me, but the group as a whole) was climbing the longer the weekend went when I did the Racer5 school.

I want to take my bike to a track this summer. I have been to Cayuga with my car, but the bike just seems like so much more fun. Is there a "casual" racing series, for those who just want to jump into a race but don't want to pay for any kind of membership? Forgive me, I'm pretty noob at this.

I want to take my bike to a track this summer. I have been to Cayuga with my car, but the bike just seems like so much more fun. Is there a "casual" racing series, for those who just want to jump into a race but don't want to pay for any kind of membership? Forgive me, I'm pretty noob at this.
No, racing isn't and it shouldn't be casual. Do track days.

What about this? Isn't this just like the open car lapping days? I guess "casual" was the wrong choice of word, I'm no half-miler, but I don't want to commit to a membership. I AM however interested in the "Intro to track" program they offer

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/raceway/motorcycle_lapping.html
That is not racing, that is track days.

You should definitely do that, or you can also contact Racer 5, they have an intro course for racing, bike, instruction and all taken care for you.

Last edited:
The Intro to Track course is a good cost effective way to get a taste of what track riding is about if you have your own bike.

If you don't have your own track bike, take the Racer5 or FAST course first for your own safety and others before doing trackdays or racing.

A friend still has a CBR250 for sale if you are interested

I definitely am! PM me the details.

The 2010 ninja 250 I looked at today was mechanically good. Fairings were scratched but it's going to be a track bike. I'd leave the fairing and just take out the lights. The tires were practically new and I could give them to my Dad if I got a set of Bridgestone Evo s20. This bike had the michelin street pilot radials and have read/seen reviews they're not the best available for small track bikes.

I can get this guy down to $1600 which gives me about $500 for race mods on top (suspension, rear sets, bars, fresh pads etc).

BUT if there's a 250 CBR/ninja/ available that's already preped for track that's in my budget, that would be awesome! I haven't came across one in the last 2-3 weeks since I've been seriously looking.

Keep in mind that an EX500 also qualifies for LWT production. And you can get 2 bikes for $2500 now a days on kijiji. And there are tons of crash parts/go fast parts around.

Keep in mind that an EX500 also qualifies for LWT production. And you can get 2 bikes for $2500 now a days on kijiji. And there are tons of crash parts/go fast parts around.

I thought the CC limit for lightweight production is 400.

I thought the CC limit for lightweight production is 400.

500cc twins (vintage)
400cc multis vintage
390cc multis modern
400cc singles
250cc 2 stroke street based.

There were 4 EX500s last year (at least 1 per race weekend)

I see. I'm building an EX500 as well but not sure it'd qualify do to some of the mods.

500cc twins (vintage)
400cc multis vintage
390cc multis modern
400cc singles
250cc 2 stroke street based.

There were 4 EX500s last year (at least 1 per race weekend)

ummm. Two different classes..

300 prod'n = 400cc single, 380cc multi/twin, 500cc aircooled vintage twins
lwt prod'n =400cc multi, 500cc twins liquid cooled,

they ran like this last year, ex500 ninja won't be racing in 300 prod'n. although the 300 racers may bump up into lwt prod'n.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom