So who's building a 300 track bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

So who's building a 300 track bike?

I have been putting in the time converting a KTM RC390 street bike into a road race bike. I think that very people appreciate how much time and energy has to go into converting a modern street bike into a road racer or track day weapon. Modern street bikes have compacted power units/fuel injection/air boxes/wiring that make taking things apart extrememely time consuming. Those who do it for a living (like Ben G) make it look easy and deserve the bucks they charge for doing it. Trust me it is a ton of work. If you want to race and you have the choice of a fully converted race bike VS a stock street bike...you would be nuts to go with the street bike. Look for a bike that has already been converted. My 2 cents. parillaguy

Theres a thread on another forum discussing how much time it takes to convert a bike properly. Roughly 100 hours seems to be the agreed upon time.

I have been putting in the time converting a KTM RC390 street bike into a road race bike. I think that very people appreciate how much time and energy has to go into converting a modern street bike into a road racer or track day weapon. Modern street bikes have compacted power units/fuel injection/air boxes/wiring that make taking things apart extrememely time consuming. Those who do it for a living (like Ben G) make it look easy and deserve the bucks they charge for doing it. Trust me it is a ton of work. If you want to race and you have the choice of a fully converted race bike VS a stock street bike...you would be nuts to go with the street bike. Look for a bike that has already been converted. My 2 cents. parillaguy

Totally. I did it once because I thought I wanted to... about 1/3 of the way into it I realised that it was already way more expensive than buying one already prepped and previously enjoyed. I do as much work as I can on my own bikes, and I'm fine with that, but the cost of parts is crazy. I was lucky to find a bunch of quality used parts from a few racers to ease the costs. Still, I doubt I'll ever build my own again.

you know ktm sells a race kit of the 390 right?

Even on a previously prepped bike I will generally take it most of the way apart to see what I'm dealing with and if the previous work was done properly.

For sure, but generally you'll be saving a lot of money on the upgrades.

Not me but I've been considering taking my RS125 to a trackday sometime. It is, after all, sold as track-only in the US.

So far not much. Stripped all the unnecessary electrical and hard parts that aren't needed for track (I still want to find a lighter exhaust and get rid of the right passenger peg).

Front forks have racetech springs in them. I have a rear shock from a 2006 GSXR-600 that I'll be swapping on, I'm just waiting for a collar/spacer from racetech to come in so I can install a proper Eibach spring for my weight. SS brake lines, R6 throttle tube... not much else performance wise... yet.

These are Armour Bodies; quality and finish is fantastic. The fit of the Hotbodies for the 300 is absolute crap, I wouldn't waste my money on that.

Right now the bodywork is just sitting on the bike, I haven't actually drilled or mounted it yet, so we'll see what the final fit is like, but so far it seems pretty good. The tail might need a bit of convincing to sit flush with the undertail though.
Any update on the race fairing installation?

Any opinion on using the stock tires for a trackday? or should I just buy DR2's?

Will also try a few days with stock suspension before I upgrade.

All of the Kawi 300's that Brooklyn Cycle is currently building will be for sale fully track prepped after the CTMP celebrity race in August. Depending on how they fair that weekend, some may be more affordable than others.
I can't remember the number, but there has to be over 20 bikes that will be built and ready to go for 2016.

Picked up the Armour Bodies kit, a Forcefield L2K back protector and a whole bunch of other stuff from Tony at Bluestreak Racing, what a great guy to deal with. FAST Phase 1 booked for Aug 4th, trying to learn the the right way before doing trackdays. Hope to get there soon.

Picked up the Armour Bodies kit, a Forcefield L2K back protector and a whole bunch of other stuff from Tony at Bluestreak Racing, what a great guy to deal with. FAST Phase 1 booked for Aug 4th, trying to learn the the right way before doing trackdays. Hope to get there soon.

Awesome. That's the right way to do it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Awesome. That's the right way to do it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Got the bodywork installed just in time for Fast Phase 1.

a004fab845a9ef1591964b75562d355d.jpg

Good course, learned a lot from Michel Mercier who is a great guy. I would recommend the course to anyone who is thinking of riding track. If you don't have a track bike, take these courses a couple times a year. I am booking Phase 2 now.

31e4c4f1ff18b21e593543254b3af8d9.jpg

I spoke with the Kawasaki 300 guys at CSBK today and they confirmed that you will only be allowed to run stock 300s or 300s equipped with the official kit upgrades *only*.

Other modifications will not be allowed.

If running an upgraded 300, it must be the sponsored upgrades from Hotbodies, Ktech, Elka, etc.

I'm out because I have Armour Bodies bodywork.

So disappointed.

You're out because of your body work! Oh man, that is rough.

Did they say how much the official kit would set someone back?

Official kit (if you buy all kits) cones close to $5k. They pretty much ruined the only reason to race 300s. Cheap.
Also the only fork components you can use are stock (which is garbage) or the $1200 k-tech cartridge. Dafuq
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They had a flyer with the cost of all the upgrades but I forgot to bring it home, fack.

The kit is...

- Ktech front fork cartridges ($1200)
- Elka rear shock ($800)
- Hindle exhaust
- PCV with quickshifter
- Hotbodies bodywork
- Kawasaki frame sliders
- Dunlop Sportmax Alpha tires

And these are the only options; any other modifications from any other vendor are verboten. Bikes running in the series will also have to be stickered up with all the sponsor decals.

So again, because I have Armour Bodies bodywork, Racetech front springs, a GSXR rear shock, Vortex rearsets, Woodcraft clipons, Metzeler tires, etc. I'm not allowed to participate in the 300 series.

I really hope Kawasaki changes their mind about this, because as is they've completely butchered the appeal. Like Benny said, the entire purpose of racing 300s is because it's cheap... They've basically reserved it for the rich. I don't have $2000 to spend on suspension, nor would I ever invest that in my 300.

Last edited:
I am yet again surprised at what I see as tunnel vision of the racing community.

It is great that Kawasaki is investing money to support Canadian road racing by supporting a 300 Class.

But a brief pause to ask what the purpose of the 300 series is.

To support an inexpensive means for all ages to enjoy racing? Or is it to provide a platform for young and old to get experience at racing craft with the hope that they move up in classes as they gain experience.

Some will argue that the cost is too high given the bike cost and upgrades are pushing $10K. Compared to sport bike racing it is still cheaper. But compared to what the CBR250 series cost was per bike (as Honda would donate or discount the race package depending on rider commitment) the 300 is higher.

Hopefully I will be wrong and the grids will be larger than the CSBK CBR250 Series was.

I think CSBK and Kawasaki missed the boat on promoting the new series for next year. They had 3 previous CBR250 Champions in the paddocks that didn't get 1 ride in any of the 3 races. They had at least 4 other previous CBR250 racers with leathers in hand that requested a ride in one of the 3 races and all were declined.

The media riders is a tried and tested method to gain media exposure.

Requests about costs and purchases of the existing bikes was rebuffed even after some comments by some that they would be offered up for sale. I hear now that Kawasaki may hold on to the bikes and rent out rides for next year.

It will be interesting to see who will for next year pony up the money to build their own version.

I understand the requirement for common parts. Equal playing field and all and corporate money.

If you build it with different parts Club racing is still available. Come race with us.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom