On new riders practicing in parking lots | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

On new riders practicing in parking lots

its easy to speculate what happened there. The coroners report should shed some light on what possibly happened to the young man at the parking lot last weekend.

Each spring since i recently started riding, after waking my bike up from hibernation, I'd take my bike to the nearest GO Station or Mall parking lot that I've seen has been cleaned of the winter residue (sand, salt, etc.) to re-familiarize myself with my bike. Maybe it's tradition, but I've always done it early on a Saturday or Sunday or Good Friday morning.
This year there were a couple of YRP cruisers in the lot just chatting. They saw what I was doing and didn't say anything. Maybe mall security would have had issue.:confused:

Last edited:
its easy to speculate what happened there. The coroners report should shed some light on what possibly happened to the young man at the parking lot last weekend.

It was blunt force trauma to the chest. From my understanding and I was really not going to push his dad for details, he lost control, hit a curb. He probably was pushed back and ended up twisting the throttle, losing control and hit the tree.

Not sure why anyone would assume because he was out late at night that he must be stunting. Are all late night riders hooligans then, up to no good? He was the kind of guy that when he started something, he put all his effort into improving and learning about it.

A lot of north american people dont have that concept of manual transmission and therefore the learning to ride a motorcycle is even more challenging.

I agree with this...too many are used to 1 pedal to go and 1 pedal to stop, and a wheel to turn. Although I was a driver for years before getting into riding, my first car was a 5 speed manual, and my current car is a 6 speed manual. If anything, by pure instinct I always grab/push the clutch if anything oddball happens or the vehicle doesn't respond right, as it is just a force of habit for me.

I agree with this...too many are used to 1 pedal to go and 1 pedal to stop, and a wheel to turn. Although I was a driver for years before getting into riding, my first car was a 5 speed manual, and my current car is a 6 speed manual. If anything, by pure instinct I always grab/push the clutch if anything oddball happens or the vehicle doesn't respond right, as it is just a force of habit for me.

Soon we will have electrical vehicles, the idea of transmission will be lost. I agree with you, i'm a victim of that.....a family member drove my sport car in gear 1, redlining it for 2km (its Double clutch tran)

ughh i think that is wrong... like very wrong

No. But certain variables have to be met. It must be an impact strike with a small point of contact on the average bone. An athlete with a ton of resistance training will build a slightly more robust skeletal structure. But a hammer strike (straight arm fist) coming down onto a collar bone WILL break it. Please don't try to prove this on your friends.

No. But certain variables have to be met. It must be an impact strike with a small point of contact on the average bone. An athlete with a ton of resistance training will build a slightly more robust skeletal structure. But a hammer strike (straight arm fist) coming down onto a collar bone WILL break it. Please don't try to prove this on your friends.

well now that factors in acceleration so ill just agree with you and let the thread continue.

Off topic but, another thing to consider is that even though(supposedly, although I believe it) it only takes 8lb's of pressure to break any bone, another variable is also muscles taking some of the force of an impact, the shin is pretty exposed but most of the other bones have muscles wrapped around them that have good tensile strength and can absorb pretty good forces which would have to be overcome and be 8lb's of force on top of that. Also It might be 8lbs over a square inch, like another commenter said small impact zone.

Very sad story, I seriously doubt they were stunting thats just my opinion though, I haven't been riding long but when I first started riding the bike scared me and it was less then a 600cc, I'v overcome alot of that fear with experience but I think new riders even if they think stunting is cool are probably to scared to start practicing so soon. I think its very common for new riders to practice in parking lots, even if they've done the course and passed already, the really hard stuff to learn is low speed stuff like you practice in the course, which is hard to do just driving around on the street.

I know its happened to me a couple time when first starting out, where I'v been caught off-guard where when you accelerate your weight gets shifted back and your right arm locks straight pulling the throttle even more causing you to accelerate even more and you just take off, and most new riders will panic and if you don't react quick enough you can be in an accident, I'm glad that never happened to me while riding a 600cc bike. This is what sounds like happened based on the description from his friend, it can happen very easy... but I think its kinda a freak thing for this to lead to a fatality in a parking lot.

I feel for the family.

I too was curious about this, but of course the RIP thread is not the appropriate forum, so...
It's good to see this discussion.
Sad to see some arguing, insults and 'ego' on display. (But what can ya do - it's GTAM.)

The tale is told, a well-worn anecdote indeed, about the guy who went to pick up his new motorcycle at a HD dealer somewhere in the U.S.
He climbed aboard. Brand-new bike; zero mileage. He started it.
He revved it. He had no helmet...
This is where he made his mistake - he put it in gear.
The bike travelled maybe ~10 feet and went over, spilling him off.
He bonked his head on the front fender of some car in the parking lot. DEAD.
Deceased right there in the HD parking lot - on a new bike that still showed zero miles! Yikes...

Dunno why, but it's the first thing I thought about when I first heard about the unfortunate Mr. Sauer in Waterloo.
I thought, the situation is not the same - but you know, it certain ways it is!
Neither pilot was concerned about dying. Neither one was aware just how easily it can occur.
Plenty of tears and 'woulda, shoulda, coulda' available in the aftermath.
Heartbroken family and friends asking "how could this happen" in their grief...

Maybe Luke should have just bailed off. However he didn't want to 'crash' his ride and maybe scratch or damage it (seems ridiculous now).
But he didn't know how things were going to go, right?
When I think of all the crazy stuff I've done over the last ~40 years on two wheels, it's nuts.
Whistling through Tennessee and Georgia late at night, doing 160 km/h on a Honda Turbo low on fuel, and nobody at all knew where I was...
Crashing many times (at least a dozen) over the years - and never broke even a fingernail.

I have been very, very lucky indeed! Charmed, you might say.
However, Sir Isaac is never to be denied - and for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Does bad luck occur someplace, as a counterpoint to all my exceptionally good luck? Maybe. Yes; surely it must...

Anyway. Terrible thing; I hope you're okay, Wonderings.
Don't seize up with sadness - there's nothing you could have done...
Re: New Riders Practicing in Parking Lots
Stay away from the sides (the curb, the grass, the trees). If you get 'confounded' - bail off.
Motorcycles can be insanely dangerous. ATGATT.

Then, when you eventually get out into real-world traffic - full of electronically-distracted SUV pilots etc. - things can get even worse.
RIP Luke. I didn't know you, but I miss you, man... you seemed like quite the guy.

when you accelerate your weight gets shifted back and your right arm locks straight pulling the throttle even more causing you to accelerate even more and you just take off, and most new riders will panic
Yes so true!
Actually, this describes riding the Kawi ZX-14.
One cannot use the handlebars to hold on! For exactly that reason...
You can't close the throttle; it can be a big problem.
The front wheel comes up and the back wheel spins. At the same time.
You must be leaned forwards, balanced perfectly, on the balls of your feet, and aware of the VIOLENT acceleration.
Or you will literally be flying like a flag from the handlebars, heheh...

Stuff happens.

Johns Hinds died last weekend, one of the "Flying doctors" of Irish road racing. He would often respond to a crash scene at equal speeds to the racers.

CJGgEfHW8AAfYfi.jpg

[video=youtube;MsZBXlTHPCg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg[/video]

He didn't die racing, he didn't die responding to a crash, he died in a road accident riding back from the track.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people think that getting your m2 somehow magically means you can't make mistakes.
A few weeks into riding, you're a complete novice. I don't care how many exercises you've adequately completed at a riding course. Hell, a few years into riding I still make mistakes - fairly rarely, but I do. Luckily experience (and some luck so far) helps me when I have to recover from one.

If you have no experience, it's all luck at that point.
He made a mistake, hit the curb and was doomed from that point on.
It was commendable that he was working on improving his skills, but sometimes you just can't catch a break. Would he have made it if he were riding a 250 instead? Maybe. If he was practicing during the day? Maybe. Either way he made more of an effort to get better than I ever did when I was new and yet here we are.

Spare a thought for his loved ones and be glad you were luckier when you were starting out.

TL;DR: Stuff happens indeed.

Last edited:
^ that's what I figured, too

Just bad luck. It happens. I've made that same mistake once or twice early in my riding career, just not as drastic.

First year riding here. Im not sure guys what happened. I took it slow...very slow i would say. After the course, i wouldn't leave my Vaughan commercial roads for one month practicing downshifting and stuff like that. Then i went to GO station parking lot and practiced maneuvering just like we did at the course. I do remember my first street riding 16th Avenue to Young street where my mom lives. 10 km max but what a ride. Much more comfortable now having raked about 3000 kms. Really sorry, looks like the guy was taking my route but ...dont know what happened. During my course i could see who was meant to ride and who wasnt even if they passed...

Could be. Seems odd though; a friend of the victim said he already had his M2 and I presume he'd ridden from his home, with his friends, to that parking lot that night. The guy in your vid looks like he's never, ever been on a bike before. In order to obtain an M2 one has to have much more competence than that.

My guess was more along the lines of practicing and trying out things that might be considered "stunting" (e.g. wheelies) away from the prying eyes of police (note location and time of day...) Looking at the fellow's obit I second-guess that though; doesn't really seem to fit that a guy about to get an advanced degree in international political science (or whatever...) goes wheely-ing around at midnight. I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom