On new riders practicing in parking lots | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

On new riders practicing in parking lots

Could be. Seems odd though; a friend of the victim said he already had his M2 and I presume he'd ridden from his home, with his friends, to that parking lot that night. The guy in your vid looks like he's never, ever been on a bike before. In order to obtain an M2 one has to have much more competence than that.

My guess was more along the lines of practicing and trying out things that might be considered "stunting" (e.g. wheelies) away from the prying eyes of police (note location and time of day...) Looking at the fellow's obit I second-guess that though; doesn't really seem to fit that a guy about to get an advanced degree in international political science (or whatever...) goes wheely-ing around at midnight. I dunno.

Ofcourse they were stunting. You think their friends would tell the cops that ...pfft.

They're all kids after all.

Ps. Degree has nothing to do with mistakes. Even god makes mistakes

The tone of this thread reminds me a lot of conversations about flying accidents and how all conclusions inevitably circled back around to "pilot error," regardless of the pilot's exprience or unknown circumstances. Part of that is the culture of the community - almost a superstition that the only root cause of accidents is a pilot's inability to create a better outcome, and that when the time comes for us, our reactions will be better. Found the same thing in the whitewater kayaking community.

It all still boils down to this :
a) What we're doing is inherently risky,
b) No one else was there at the moment things went pear-shaped and therefore all comments are conjecture,
c) One of our community is gone,
d) Out there, family and friends are hurting, as would ours in the same situation.

I was thinking of this thread as I was walking through Sunnybrook hospital yesterday. Passed a guy who 'looked' like he could have been in a riding-related accident. Young guy, two broken wrists, various other body trauma and a right leg freshly amputated halfway up the shin, where the top of boots would be.

Now, I'm just making a really big assumption, admittedly, but still, my heart went out to him. If that really was the case, then here's a guy who's paid a big price, at a young age, with many riding years still ahead of him. I was just a little more cautious and tentative riding home...

One minor clarification. In point b you said no one else was there, actually there were witnesses to the accident, just no one from this forum happened to be there.

So the police will know exactly what happened and how. I am sure if he was practicing stunting techniques or stunting, despite what they have been told by witnesses, the police have confirmed it.

Personnally, I fail to see how it makes a difference if he was practicing proper riding techniques or stunting. He certainly didn't "deserve" to be hurt or killed, (which is what some seem to be intimating). Even if he were stunting he was doing it in a "safe" location, a parking ot, as opposed to a public road.

The tone of this thread reminds me a lot of conversations about flying accidents and how all conclusions inevitably circled back around to "pilot error," regardless of the pilot's exprience or unknown circumstances. Part of that is the culture of the community - almost a superstition that the only root cause of accidents is a pilot's inability to create a better outcome, and that when the time comes for us, our reactions will be better. Found the same thing in the whitewater kayaking community.

But
It all still boils down to this :
a) What we're doing is inherently risky,
b) No one else was there at the moment things went pear-shaped and therefore all comments are conjecture,
c) One of our community is gone,
d) Out there, family and friends are hurting, as would ours in the same situation.

I was thinking of this thread as I was walking through Sunnybrook hospital yesterday. Passed a guy who 'looked' like he could have been in a riding-related accident. Young guy, two broken wrists, various other body trauma and a right leg freshly amputated halfway up the shin, where the top of boots would be.

Now, I'm just making a really big assumption, admittedly, but still, my heart went out to him. If that really was the case, then here's a guy who's paid a big price, at a young age, with many riding years still ahead of him. I was just a little more cautious and tentative riding home...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom