New to the Motorcycle world | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to the Motorcycle world

Ardy

Hey everyone, my name is Dave! Im a 19 year old male, born in 1996, looking into motorcycles since I was just a teen. Decided to get my license now and will be getting my M1 within the next week! Ive been reading the forums, looking for a starter bike, insurance, etc! Still have no clue, looking for sport bikes. I am 6'1, 200 pounds, 13 size shoe, not sure if that matters! Im looking for a bike that will give me cheap insurance (well as inexpensive as it can get for my age), preferably a sport bike, most likely being a 250, (ninja,cbr, etc.) If anyone can give me their input on this that would be great, as well as which insurance companies I should contact first. Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the forum!
You seem to be on the right track with your thinking. Use the search function, and you will find those topics covered.
Take a course, call every insurance company, ride safe and have fun!

Welcome to the forum, start small, a 250 will work with your size, wait till the fall to buy, good luck.

Get a cheap cbr250r (I had cbr and my buddy has ninja, I would always win off the line). It doesn't have to look good because 95% chance it will fall down. The most places you need to spend money are: protective jacket, pants or kneepads, gloves, frame sliders! Statefarm has cheap insurance but you need to have M/G license for 6 years I think.

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

6 years is a long time to wait for cheap insurance but we all got to start somewhere. Having said that I believe companies are fleecing us with current rates

I believe statefarm is 4 years with full G licence, to get any motorcycle insurance through them... every company is different though... one company you will see alot is "Intact" insurance, which is who I am insured through currently.

I am a new rider aswell, just got my M1 like a month ago, did my safety course just waiting untill first week of august before I can go and claim my M2. I'm paying like 2,500-2,800$ a year for my bike insurance, they are still sorting some things out so I should get a multi-vehicle discount aswell which will bump it lower... I think its 2,600$ something currently. I don't have full G licence, G2... I'll be getting full G in august aswell which should effect my bike insurance to. I'm between the age of 25 and 30. I think once you get over the age of 21 there is a discount... and aswell at 25 possible... once your over 25 I think that the big one as far as insurance breaks.

Your definately better off starting on a small bike, the 250 or 300cc ninja/cbr's are great bikes to start on, especially when you factor in the costs of running them on an annual basis(insurance being one of the biggest cost, if not the biggest). You need to think about it like, that you need to build a history showing your a responsible driver, that you havn't had claims, that you havn't had many tickets(or the least amount of tickets you can manage) and as time goes by your rates will go down for a number of reasons.

But your in a bad bracket age wise, if you havn't had any suspensions I would look into companies that specialize in motorcycle insurance, get a few quotes... a quick google search brings up a bunch. If suspensions is more then 3 years ago your ok.

I can't say for sure but for a new rider you will likely be looking at anywhere from 1,500$ a year for a very small bike and a very clean record, up to 10,000$ for a very fast bike and a terrible riding record... you likely won't be at either extreme, but I wouldn't be surprised if the annual cost for a 250-300cc bike for a 19 year old could be 3000$ish annually. It kinda sucks for canadians cause cancelling the insurance during winter months won't make it any cheaper, and yet people in the US pay similar rates even if they can ride year-round.

The good news is, once you get older and have a bunch of experience, have had your full licence for awhile... your rates can get very cheap... like 600$ for a year or even cheaper on a 600cc+ bike. I"m not an expert I'm just repeated information I'v gotten from other, so feel free to take what I'm saying with a few pinches of salt....

Welcome buddy. Don't ever get discouraged about smaller bikes to start like many riders do. It's always good to get low insurance rates but most importantly learn the fundamentals. A Ninja 300 has lots of juice and is really flickable, the 250 is even cheaper if you can find it. And The CBRs are really nice, the 250's have lots of down low torque for a sports bike that make getting around town a snap. Any of those options are really great and will really give you an appreciation for riding. Also, I'm pretty tall myself, and didn't feel too cramped on either of them (I've owned both) but I feel like the CBR is slightly more ergonomic and fuel efficient. The Ninjas for sure have much better styling and rev up very high :) 647 546 3755 Give me a call whenever you want to ride, so long as you don't mind a muscle bike :D

Oh and surprisingly enough I think TD is really good for insurance. They've been giving me pretty decent quotes compared to other companies. Jevco is now owned by Intact but worth a shot. State Farm has the best initial rates, though you have to be licensed for a minimum of 5 years to even get a quote. After the initial rate, I hear it's one of the fastest growing premiums around though. Just a thought.

Make sure to get your safety certificate from Humber or another riding school.
+You get your M2 papers right away when you pass
+You get insurance savings (equivalent to 1 year riding experience)
+You are a SAFER RIDER.

:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom