Aftermarket Fairings or Paint | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aftermarket Fairings or Paint

OmegaBravo7

Looking to place an order for some replica fairings - telefonica or pepephone.

Anyone order from Auctmart lately?

How long before receiving your order here (Toronto)?

Do they have expedited shipping at an additional cost?

I have an '02 gsxr750 in red and black scheme (excellent condition, 9/10). Instead of getting Chinese replicas, what would it cost roughly to get a custom paint job to look like the Telefonica or Pepephone?

The Telefonica scheme to get done on this side of the ocean is only viable if you can get the fairings painted the base colour and you can get the stickers for everything else. (That's the way Suzuki did it at the factory) Some of those stickers will be tough to apply because of the curvature of the bodywork.

Painting a Telefonica scheme, on this side of the ocean, will be very labour intensive (read: expensive) because of its complexity. Somehow China Inc can do it by paying what is surely atrociously low labour rates, and probably by using substandard materials. Complaints about China Inc bodywork run the gamut from poor fitment to being too brittle to paint that fades (quickly) with UV exposure. You don't get what you don't pay for.

If you have your heart set on buying a set of fairings from China Inc, you might as well get the graphics package that you want (keep in mind that your gas tank is not part of it!) because there is absolutely no possible way you will get that made here at that price. If it turns out to fade with UV exposure, you're not much further behind than having bought plain bodywork that still needed to be painted ...

I had my tired old Yamaha done with the period-appropriate Marlboro colour scheme - which has the advantage of being simple - and had the paint done professionally here. Still looks as good as the day it first rolled out of the shop.

Have the bike Wrapped.

Great idea - and it can be made to look like those fairings? Back in the days if I remember correctly wraps came in matt finish only, wondering how good their sheen is these days if one opted for gloss wrap

The Telefonica scheme to get done on this side of the ocean is only viable if you can get the fairings painted the base colour and you can get the stickers for everything else. (That's the way Suzuki did it at the factory) Some of those stickers will be tough to apply because of the curvature of the bodywork.

Painting a Telefonica scheme, on this side of the ocean, will be very labour intensive (read: expensive) because of its complexity. Somehow China Inc can do it by paying what is surely atrociously low labour rates, and probably by using substandard materials. Complaints about China Inc bodywork run the gamut from poor fitment to being too brittle to paint that fades (quickly) with UV exposure. You don't get what you don't pay for.

If you have your heart set on buying a set of fairings from China Inc, you might as well get the graphics package that you want (keep in mind that your gas tank is not part of it!) because there is absolutely no possible way you will get that made here at that price. If it turns out to fade with UV exposure, you're not much further behind than having bought plain bodywork that still needed to be painted ...

I had my tired old Yamaha done with the period-appropriate Marlboro colour scheme - which has the advantage of being simple - and had the paint done professionally here. Still looks as good as the day it first rolled out of the shop.

Well put and well said. More the reason wrap would be a great option if it can be done

Just out of curiosity, what did you wind up paying for the paint job back then and what would you assume it would cost today?

if your bike is in great condition the last thing you'd want to do is paint the oem fairings in some team colours....

^ True. DON'T paint the OEM fairings unless they are well damaged. If you want the Telefonica paint job just buy a set of fairings with that. You will NEVER come close to China Inc's price. Just keep in mind what you are going to do with the gas tank. Personally I'd be looking for another one to keep the original one original.

This ... is all fiberglass replica bodywork. The original stuff is all stashed away.

Does your bike have a plastic tank cover as original equipment? Yamaha FZR, early Honda CBR600RR (not sure about later models), are like this so the aftermarket bodywork ought to come with a replacement. If the bike has a painted steel gas tank (includes all Gixxers) it's hard to see how that would work. The photos that I can find online for GSXR750 aftermarket bodywork don't appear to show anything for the gas tank.

Last edited:
^ True. DON'T paint the OEM fairings unless they are well damaged. If you want the Telefonica paint job just buy a set of fairings with that. You will NEVER come close to China Inc's price. Just keep in mind what you are going to do with the gas tank. Personally I'd be looking for another one to keep the original one original.

This ... is all fiberglass replica bodywork. The original stuff is all stashed away.

high 5!:D

Chinese fairing sent me a Plastic tank cover, but it's not easy to put it on the original metal tank
after some cut and chop, it's on but not gonna fit the gas hole
finally I paid to paint my metal tank, just a simple job compare to paint WHOLE bike with decals

Back
Top Bottom