Planning a trip to Deal's Gap | GTAMotorcycle.com

Planning a trip to Deal's Gap

paulf2k

Hello,

The wife and I are thinking of making a trip down to Deal's Gap during the first week of August and I was wondering if any experienced travellers could provide some feedback:
- Should I trailer my bike down or rent there? Factors I am currently comparing are risk of theft of my own bike vs a rental, the fact that we won't be riding everyday but will also do some touristy stuff, so I won't have my eyes on the bike at all times
- Plan on hiking in the Smoky Mountains. Any other attractions on the way we should stop at?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Hello,

The wife and I are thinking of making a trip down to Deal's Gap during the first week of August and I was wondering if any experienced travellers could provide some feedback:
- Should I trailer my bike down or rent there? Factors I am currently comparing are risk of theft of my own bike vs a rental, the fact that we won't be riding everyday but will also do some touristy stuff, so I won't have my eyes on the bike at all times
- Plan on hiking in the Smoky Mountains. Any other attractions on the way we should stop at?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Never heard about theft at the dragon. Left my bikes in front of various motels around the area without any issues. Can't advise about hiking with bikes. I'm sure you can rent bikes there, but but it would be just so much easier to rent a car for a day for your touristy thing. If you book in advance you can can get a car for less than $30/day where you would be looking at 100s for bike rentals.

What type of bike do you ride now? Why not just ride the bike down there that way you can take the Blue Ridge Parkway.

What type of bike do you ride now? Why not just ride the bike down there that way you can take the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I ride a GSXR600 and I don't think my wife or I would survive a 12hr 2-up ride lol. I did look up the blue ridge parkway and it is a stunning view...looks like about 1h30m away from deals gap. I will add it to the list, thanks,

Trailer it. Are you planning to carry the wife through the Gap as a passenger? Can be done, but ...

If your wife is going the SS600 is not ideal. Plus your agenda is busy with hiking etc.

Rent a bike for 3 days and you will be able to cover most of the great roads in the area.

Yes, I thought about that as well, since it wont be a riding day for the entire week. Right now, I am leaning still leaning towards the trailer but might change my mind...
Now, it is looking like we might just go to Pennsylvania because my mother-in-law wants us to drop her off in New Jersey to see family...the situation is very fluid at the moment...but at least we can do no tax shopping I guess.

Trailer the bikes down. Just got back from there with the lady. Get a hotel in Gatlinburg and go check out Cades Cove. Lots of stuff to do in G-burg. King size bed, hot tub in room, fireplace.... Room cost 100 a night. It was insanely cheap. G-burg has everything you'd want as a tourist and all the good roads are so damn close, including deals gap (tail of the dragon). Please do not forget to visit Cades cove!!!! You'll see deer, turkey, bears and get to explore the mountains. It's amazing there, wishing we could move there.....Murica' is the best, we got fat in our week long trip lol.

Cades cove is pretty cool but it's an absolute parking lot, 1 way 401 traffic jam lol.
And same with Gatlinburg, oh yes there is tons to do but it's so touristy and insanely busy.
I like staying in the Robbinsville area.
Center hub for the roads (main reason you go) and still pretty county and not busy.
I always make a day to Gatlinburg to do something but sure as hell wouldn't want to spend a week there.
But that's me if you really want tourist crap then yes lime said already Gatlinburg is the place.
Also your bike is perfectly safe at the gap.
You can also hike glingmans dome.

Last edited:
Since you'll be doing tourists stuff, you may want to consider accomodation just a bit away from the Tail. Last time I was there, the group stayed at Maryville and used it as a home base. It was nice because we had to take a rain day, and there were stuff in town that we could do.

We stayed in Knoxville's best hotel (was pretty nice), Maryville (cheap hotel) and Gatlinburg (nice place on the river, room was huge and the hot tub inside was unreal). We stayed in Gatlinburg the longest. By far the most fun place, when you're done riding for the day and touring around doing stuff.... You can party all night long after! Then return to the room with the hot tub waiting for you to slide in all drunk. Your chances of getting laid are like 94992937274883 times more than at home with the hot tub in the room lol :)

Cherohala Skyway Hit it first thing in the morning, have breakfast in Tellico Plains. There will be next to no traffic, it flows really nice with some amazing views..

I don't see an issue with trailering and having to worry about your bike down there. I've never heard of people having theft issues, but just be smart about parking your bike. If you stay at two wheels inn, you'll have your own bike garage under lock.

If you rent, another option is: http://www.sportbikes4hire.com/smoky-mountains/

Some further advice, it's hot in Aug. Like I'm an ATGATT rider, except when in the smokies in the heat of the summer.

I ride a GSXR600 and I don't think my wife or I would survive a 12hr 2-up ride lol. I did look up the blue ridge parkway and it is a stunning view...looks like about 1h30m away from deals gap. I will add it to the list, thanks,

Deal's Gap is probably the low light of the trip down there as there are so many great roads like the BRP, which is about 500 miles long, no stops, no commercial traffic, to name one. Then there are others that you can just discover in the back woods once you are down there. The Gap is an experience, but it's not a great riding experience. It's a zoo. Get a proper sport touring bike if you have touring on your mind but still like a sporty bike. Keep the SS for the track.

Deal's Gap is probably the low light of the trip down there as there are so many great roads like the BRP, which is about 500 miles long, no stops, no commercial traffic, to name one. Then there are others that you can just discover in the back woods once you are down there. The Gap is an experience, but it's not a great riding experience. It's a zoo. Get a proper sport touring bike if you have touring on your mind but still like a sporty bike. Keep the SS for the track.

+1

I did Deals Gap last year, it was alright, not my thing though. BRP is the place to ride, nice curves, great views, lots of look outpoints to stop at and seemingly endless riding. I stayed in Cherokee when I was down there, had a nice room on a river, I think it was $85 for the night, Comfort Inn. Not to far from the Dragon and right at the entrance to the BRP. Any road down that way is amazing for riding, when I was working my way North to come home I just did country back roads and they were heaven for riding. Beautiful scenery, clean smooth roads, it was fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom