selling a bike into the US | GTAMotorcycle.com

selling a bike into the US

As the seller, you probably won't be facing the issues; it will be the buyer. You may be asked to cooperate in providing certain letters/forms to assist the buyer with the importation.

Importing a Motor Vehicle
Requirements for importing a vehicle / vehicle parts

Your price would need to be attractive considering that the buyer will need to ship the bike, process paperwork and possibly change parts to become road legal / emissions compliant in the US.

Last edited:
Wouldn't bother. Bikes go wayyy cheaper in the states than here. You'd prolly still lose money even with the weak dollar.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd deliver it anyway within reason and pricing is very similar when accounting for the dollar. Way more buyers in the US.
Then the buyer can deal with EPA if he chooses.
I doubt it will happen but wanted to find out.

Don't over complicate things...it's a stock Vstrom 650 - same in the US and Canada other than KM versus miles which is just a software switch over.

Bike needs to be on. Best to have it in neutral if sitting there. Put the display to total mileage. Then Press and hold the button to the top right of the tachometer until the display changes. Change it back by doing the same thing.
Good info here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047417

You can't legally import a bike from another country unless it meets USA emissions standards. But this is the exact same engine as the USA bike you say. Of course it is and there's even an exception for importing bikes that are substantially the same as USA models.

Last edited:
Not sure what you will get south of the border for your ride. I know with the BMW 1200GS bikes they are thousands cheaper when talking used in the states. Are you planning on buying a new bike? If so might be worth looking at how much they will give you. I was very surprised when I traded in my 2010 BMW a few weeks ago for a new 2015 model, they gave me a pretty fair price that was a few thousand more then I thought they would give.

no - selling one - keeping the other .....the nice surprise was a fast bite on the Burgman 650

might be gone tonight :D

So if you are selling both the strom and the scoot I gotta admit am curious as to your next intended ride. FZ9 to rival your son or sport touring.
Hmmmn??

Generally speaking, it's too big of a hassle to import into the US unless its a rare bike. The US market has a larger number of used bikes, cheaper, but that's also the one place in the world people take worse care of their bikes than Canada.
I've sold on eBay to US, but the buyer did all the work. They come up here for rarer models that were Canada/Europe only (once upon a time).

No surprise on the Burgman, those bikes are famous anywhere in the world.

Back
Top Bottom