Changed battery but bike still dies | GTAMotorcycle.com

Changed battery but bike still dies

Red Chin

The other day I was out on the bike running some errands. I parked, did my errand and returned to my bike but it would not start. Pushed the bike home put the battery on a trickle charger for the night. In the morning the bike started but didn't quite sound right when it was idling, as if it was gonna shut off at any second. Figured it was an old battery, original battery from 2007. Went and bought a new battery, bike sounded great. Went out with the wifey for a 30 minute ride. Stopped for a snack and got back on the bike rode for 15 minutes when during midride the rpms drop to zero and I slowly cruise to a stop. Tried to restart the bike and it won't start. It chugged a bit but wouldnt fully turn over and start. I was on the phone for about 20 min trying to deal with roadside assistance through my credit card.. No luck with a tow service. Tried the bike and it started! We got on the bike quickly but we only made it two minutes down the road for it to shut down at the red light. I then called a tow truck to come by and they charged the bike for 10-15 min or so and it started and I rode home which was only 7 min away. Got home shut the bike down and tried to restart the bike.... Wouldn't start.. It chugged for a bit again but would not turn over and start. New battery... Put it on the trickle charger for the night.

Any advice on what may be wrong?

2007 gsxr 600

Is your charging system dead? Charge your battery put it in your bike, start it and check it with volt meter should be around 14.2 .
You do have a suzuki .... Notorious for electrical problems yay!

If the battery is not charging your rectifier or your stator are shot, or both. No power to charge the battery, bike runs on the battery charge until no more power in battery and then bike dies.

Rectifier and or stator... Sounds expensive. Thanks for the input.

A reg/rec isn't much more than a battery (less than $150) but a stator is more expensive ($300 or so I think). It's easy to diagnose and fix both problems using a multimeter and a few hand tools.

On a lot of GSXRs (your model year is among them) the voltage regulator with all its cooling fins to keep it cool, is up front behind the heat-rejecting radiator and above the smoking-hot exhaust headers. There is a fair chance that your charging system is not working because the voltage regulator is cooked - literally.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307842

Back
Top Bottom