What's it worth? 2010 650 Vstrom with 62k km on it | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's it worth? 2010 650 Vstrom with 62k km on it

If I sell both bikes...let's say $9k in my pocket.

Then finance one for $5k ( I have one in mind )

Then I put the cash back into the business and finance the replacement for two years so the business has the cashflow ( need it just now ) and $200 a month is no big deal....that's ideal.

If the Burgman does not sell - then I'm likely just to sit on it. I still like the bike. Trading in the Burgman is low probability but it's a potential if I decide I want Vstrom for the longer term. We'll see.

If the Burgman had sold first which was the original idea and how the appointments were scheduled...then I'd just keep the Vstrom I had.

But selling both and financing a third is useful even tho the tax is annoying....:(

Instead of buying and financing a bike (to use the cash from sale for the business) why not get a business line of credit? Sell the V-Strom, keep the Burgman. Use the cash from V-Strom as needed, and get a line of credit strictly for your business.

My accountants would start ******** bricks if I started mixing business and personal money.

Do you own both bikes outright or do you still owe on them? I don't quite understand what's going on. Chasem's suggestion to get a line of credit seems better than any of your cryptic scenarios.

I'm 30 years in business I'm very aware of financing thanks - don't get me started about banks and LofC.

Keep it simple. I owned both bikes outright .....these are not expensive machines. One is sold.

If I can move two higher mileage bikes and end with one modestly priced ( $5-6k ) lower mileage machine then I'm happy.

$9-10k into cash flow and modest monthly payment.
Banks don't do auto lease on low amounts ( I think $7500 is the lower cut off and I'm not angling for that ) and the 9% rate on the one machine I'm considering is reasonable cost for my business model.
The Wee I bought on a credit card which was a first.

Always good to have input tho.

RIght now took the Burgman 650 over to the bank by way of the 403 and damn it's an easy bike to ride, quiet, smooth power and easy storage yet I can head to West Virginia with no side cases and cruise at well above the posted speed limit all day......
It fits my needs pretty well but I will flip it if I get the opportunity.

Last edited:
Indecisive...guess I'll have to go look at the Wee.
Have such a comfy seat for it.......sigh....gonna flip a coin soon.

I'm 30 years in business I'm very aware of financing thanks - don't get me started about banks and LofC.

Keep it simple. I owned both bikes outright .....these are not expensive machines. One is sold.

If I can move two higher mileage bikes and end with one modestly priced ( $5-6k ) lower mileage machine then I'm happy.

$9-10k into cash flow and modest monthly payment.
Banks don't do auto lease on low amounts ( I think $7500 is the lower cut off and I'm not angling for that ) and the 9% rate on the one machine I'm considering is reasonable cost for my business model.
The Wee I bought on a credit card which was a first.

Always good to have input tho.

RIght now took the Burgman 650 over to the bank by way of the 403 and damn it's an easy bike to ride, quiet, smooth power and easy storage yet I can head to West Virginia with no side cases and cruise at well above the posted speed limit all day......
It fits my needs pretty well but I will flip it if I get the opportunity.

Nothing personal Macdoc, sometimes it helps to have a second opinion. I'm not knocking you or your business. I would personally consider 9% interest rate incredibly high.

Sounds like you are disgruntled with Lines of Credit....? Never had any issues and I get prime. Generally substantially better than a credit card.

Also last time I got a sales pitch from State Farm Finance it's 4.99% on any amount (depending on credit) and terms up to 84 months. Might want to consider that.

I would take the V-Strom over the Burg.... :cool:

Last edited:
Do you own a house??
Do you run a business??

••••

Both bikes have their strengths...if you've not ridden a Burgman 650 you can't know. There are 10,000 owners that will educate you.
http://burgmanusa.com

The Wee is a popular second bike for many on there or they've owned it in the past. I own a KLR650 in Australia and it does the job there....sure will be equipping it with Heidenau when I get back. Start with the front and then when the 606 wears out on the back match them up.

•••

9% interest per annum to have $5k available to turn over 6 -7 times in product is peanuts.- rounding error. We are deal buyers so very erratic needs ..it's complex, after 30 years in the Mac biz we are well anchored with clients but banks don't want to know and we're not scalable but it makes a decent living and lets me travel and work anywhere in the world.

Do you own a house??
Do you run a business??

Not sure what you implying by asking that... Are those qualifications for taking advice?

As a matter of fact I do own a house and own/operate a successful telecommunications company (at 30... well my birthday is this Sunday). I understand the situation you are in... cash flow & reserve funds.

Yes, banks would not care, they only care about how the funds are secured. Once upon a time I used my personal credit card for business expenses (to collect points) ... well my bank definitely did not like that and forced me to take a corporate line of credit with no points. Anywhoo...... I will exit the building now.

By the way --> I don't need to ride a Burgman, nor be "educated" by 10,000 owners to know the differences. *sigh* I was merely stating what I would do.

Last edited:
By the way --> I don't need to ride a Burgman, nor be "educated" by 10,000 owners to know the differences. *sigh* I was merely stating what I would do.

Chase, you definitely should get a Burgman, as I was saying on our trip -- it suits our riding style perfectly. ;)

I wonder if the Burgman's 13" wheels would fall through the gaps of this rail trail we were on last week, or I wonder what the trail consisting of large pieces of loose slag would do to the body work?

u8V6dc2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
Do you own a house??
Do you run a business??
Not sure what you implying by asking that... Are those qualifications for taking advice?

As a matter of fact I do own a house and own/operate a successful telecommunications company (at 30... well my birthday is this Sunday). I understand the situation you are in... cash flow & reserve funds.

Yes, banks would not care, they only care about how the funds are secured. Once upon a time I used my personal credit card for business expenses (to collect points) ... well my bank definitely did not like that and forced me to take a corporate line of credit with no points. Anywhoo...... I will exit the building now.

good for you ( serioulsy congrats ) and you know banks don't give a FF if there is no house involved for LofC.
Unlike Norway where small business and employment is Job 1 banks don't give a damn here...
Anything tech is a tricky business to keep going. We still maintain our first client from 30 years ago...trying to transition to less time involved ...hence the travel

••••

I generally tend not to comment on machines I've not ridden myself.....our MM friend seems not mature enough to understand that.
Didn't seem to get past the grade 6 mentality.

•••

Speaking of which...I'll take the Burgman off pavement at times - I don't see you in that photo.
You can see me in this photo. This wasn't intentional but I got the Burgman around and back up the stream bed easier than buddy on the Vstrom ( new rider, new GPS ). I regularly take it on the dirt side roads as there is nothing else of interest in S Ontario.

Picture114.jpg

Picture115.jpg

those are rocks not leaves and some grade to it, was fun if not intended.

Depends on the rider doesn't it???

We passed on this one in Australia....that's my KLR I'm shooting from.

You want to continue to look foolish, keep nattering on stuff you know nothing about. Good for a chuckle.

Last edited:
I generally tend not to comment on machines I've not ridden myself.....our MM friend seems not mature enough to understand that.
Didn't seem to get past the grade 6 mentality.

You want to continue to look foolish, keep nattering on stuff you know nothing about.

Mac, I get it, you are super defensive about the Burgman. I am sure it is a great machine, but it is not suitable for everyone... so for you to say 'go read the forums and the opinions of 10000+ riders' is not constructive to those that already know it won't suit their purposes.

I'm sure the burgman can do light gravel. The recent trip that I was on with Chase put our bikes (KTM690 and a DRZ400 with full knobbies) through hell. Both bikes have a lot of scrapes and wear marks on anything plastic -- how much would that cost to replace on the burg? Both bash plates took massive hits from climbing bolders and running through gravel with fist size rocks. We ran over 150km of trail trail, 400km of rough logging roads, 200km of ATV trails, and probably about 30km of single track. I also had the Vstrom over some of the same terrain, namely the gravel roads and ATV trails as well as part of the Park to Park rail trail, and I bashed the skid plate on it a few times as well. I already had to take the skid plate off the vstrom and repaint it as it had massive gouges from rock hits.

I just cannot imagine bringing a burgman to the same terrain. Even if it could make it through, I wouldn't want to have to repair the damage it would take on the way.

But I guess I'll admit defeat and contend that I am not mature enough for a burgman nor mature enough to know that it wouldn't at all suit mine or Chase's riding style.

Anyway, you seem to have it all figured out already, so I am not sure why you bother ask the questions you do. Is there some value in your post count or something?

Here is another pic from our recent trip, it's hard to tell but this is uphill from the camera view (i.e., I am looking down hill on the DRZ). I'm sure the Burgman would sail right over these rocks on it's 13" tires.

HllkCmA.jpg

Last edited:
Why do comment then ?....you come across as childish and have every time you make a snark about a bike you've not ridden.
I'd not take the Burgman there - likely not even the KLR as it's too heavy. You know enough, you just don't know enough not to descend to grade school comments.

Looks like I'll end with the Vstrom and it won't be ridden off road tho some off pavement.
People have insight that is useful.
If you dont....then take it elsewhere....this is not the first time you've looked foolish. Try and make it the last.

Re: $5100 - 2010 650 Vstrom with 62k km on it

Not the type of posts that I would expect to be exchanged between Motorcycle Mike and MacDoc.

We should all go for ice cream.
No gravel my bike, and back, can't take it.

Not the type of posts that I would expect to be exchanged between Motorcycle Mike and MacDoc.

We should all go for ice cream.
No gravel my bike, and back, can't take it.

Joe I'm sure I could fit some knobbies on your bike....... ;)

No idea on the back. I can and will eat an entire DQ ice cream cake......

Sounds like a great idea. I like butterscotch ripple.

It's Burgman for the win at this point.
All back in distance trim with the RDL seat and new Clearview screen with the vent
- new tires due but will nurse these.
Have to hook up the TPMS as well.

Looking forward to trying the windscreen with vent this weekend on a ride to Stratford....tho Pennsylvania is tempting with the nice weather.....maybe too nice.
Thanks to all with constructive input.

Mac, you come here, I assume, seeking advice, yet you constantly reject any opinion contrary to your own. Not sure what you're expecting?

Directing folks to a Burgman owners forum to illustrate what a wonderful machine it is, is no different than me saying my Thruxton is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just go ask thousands of happy owners at www.triumphrat.net. Hardly objective.

I'll agree with you on one point. Indeed, someone here is behaving like a child. And it ain't MM.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mac, you come here, I assume, seeking advice, yet you constantly reject any opinion contrary to your own. Not sure what you're expecting?

Directing folks to a Burgman owners forum to illustrate what a wonderful machine it is, is no different than me saying my Thruxton is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just go ask thousands of happy owners at www.triumphrat.net. Hardly objective.

I'll agree with you on one point. Indeed, someone here is behaving like a child. And it ain't MM.

Yep, agreed.

I don't think he was seeking advice, just thinking out loud. I just commented that I didn't understand.

I was expecting this either from the few guys that normally stay out of this kind of shenanigans.

Anyways, let's do the ice cream thing instead. Chocolate anything and I am good.

Sure Jayell .....this is trolling period....

Chase, you definitely should get a Burgman, as I was saying on our trip -- it suits our riding style perfectly.

I wonder if the Burgman's 13" wheels would fall through the gaps of this rail trail we were on last week, or I wonder what the trail consisting of large pieces of loose slag would do to the body work?

exactly this......childish....and it's not the first time.

••••

Thinking out loud is exactly this and I listen to opinions from people that
a) have experience with the topic
b) show some maturity

••••••

chocolate sucks....butterscotch ripple rules.

ButterscotchRipple_480x502.png

1 hundred bazillions zillion grillzion dollars

Back
Top Bottom