Biker films himself going 140 kph over the speed limit | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Biker films himself going 140 kph over the speed limit

GPS units record data, which when examined, can provide some interesting data. BUT with a GPS unit that data isn't "readily" avaialble to your road side copper. On a bike unlike a car there is, (yet anyway), a black box. If the cops really wanted to get to your data in your car they could obtain a warrant and get even more data then they would from your GPS unit.

But for a copper to want the data from your GPS you would have needed to do something REALLY REALLY bad..lol Their not going to pull GPS stored data for a simple ticket. But some, seem to hae their tin foil helmets on and think coppers are out to get us all..lol

So, GPS can and would be used against you in some instances. Maybe doing 20 over might not be one, but, being pulled over some 15 minutes later because you fit the description from several motorists who called in about a recklessly speeding motorcyclist, and they might ask to see your gps data re top speed in the last 30 minutes, or, who knows how far back? If you refuse you could be delayed until they get a warrant, if they need a warrant that is, as the recent supreme court decision gives the police permission to acces your cell phone if there's no pass word, so how would that precedent not apply to other electronic devices with no pass word?

Not my cup of tea, unless I had a portable/not mounted one, turned off, and stashed away in case I got lost or needed directions, then I might use one as a convenient, i.e. don't have to deal with large, folding paper, reference "map". But never would I mount one and use it actively while I'm riding. I don't always follow the speed limts, so why have it on record? Nor do I always not cross double lines, so why have images on record? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, GoPros can come in handy to prove who's responsible for a collison. They're all the "rage" in places like Russia for that exact reason. But, that's a double edged sword. The recorded evidence could just as easily in some cases work against you, regardless of your best intentions and safe riding habits, like running an amber light you had no chance of safely stop for, that's why I won't use one. The fewer "eye" witnesses, the better IMO. We'll all be caught out or ride "aggressively" at some point for some reason. That's riding.

I am sorry I am not understanding, your point. Proceeding through an AMBER light is not an offence, so not sure how that is "evidence that can be used against you"? I agree that there are times they we all ride what others may consider "agressively" If I know I am going out with a few of my friends who ride in a spirited manner the camera doesn't go on for those rides, but the cameras are also mounted in a manner that no instrumentation on my bike can be seen. I attribute the camera placement to the charges of uncertified helmets from having your camera mounted on the helmet, (which it was on my last helmet, till I discovered the charge for doing so). So I got a ram mount and the camera is mounted.

I guess my point is that because I don't ride like an *** wipe the police have no reason to pull the camera and "look" for evidence to begin with. But hey if they want to waste the time, be my guest...lol

I can't speak to all brands but I know the Garmin I have does indeed display "top speed" but it isn't time/date stamped, it merely, (to the best of my knowledge reords the highest speed EVER recorded not just in the last 30 minutes). My understanding from talking to a few friends who are still on the job to get that type of data, it would require the TSB, (Technical Services Branch), people with the software from Garmin. Those resources aren't used for simple traffic violations nor "possible reports". An officer, (street level copper), would be required to make a request to access those services, and would need apretty good reason. Not just well I have three "complaints".

But I get the premise your putting forth, I am merely pointing out, that a street level officer isn't going to be able to use the data roadside. He would, (if he wanted it), just seize the unit roadsode then apply for a warrant, and request TSB involvement. That is a LOT of hoops to jump through even for a careless or s172 charge. Then of course looking at it from the coppers perspective, (as I have in the past), it is also a double edged sword for them in that if the ONLY thing they are basing the charge upon is the potential data from a GPS, and the data comes back saying the bike wasn't going that fast etc, then that screws them.

As it was recently pointed out to me by a good friend who is a lawyer, he can and has, sucessfully argued that mere evidence from an electronic device isn't sufficent in that it "doesn't give the whole story" IE did the rider accelerate to avoid an animal, or other obstruction, in the road? To avoid a collision with another vehicle? Did the rider just get hit be a flying stone or a bee??? So in essence he said the officer may "use" the data collected by they also need other factors, (eyewitnesses, officer observations etc etc etc).

Just FYI Crossing a double line is also NOT an offence UNLESS there are also NO PASSING signs in the area.

So, GPS can and would be used against you in some instances. Maybe doing 20 over might not be one, but, being pulled over some 15 minutes later because you fit the description from several motorists who called in about a recklessly speeding motorcyclist, and they might ask to see your gps data re top speed in the last 30 minutes, or, who knows how far back? If you refuse you could be delayed until they get a warrant, if they need a warrant that is, as the recent supreme court decision gives the police permission to acces your cell phone if there's no pass word, so how would that precedent not apply to other electronic devices with no pass word?

Not my cup of tea, unless I had a portable/not mounted one, turned off, and stashed away in case I got lost or needed directions, then I might use one as a convenient, i.e. don't have to deal with large, folding paper, reference "map". But never would I mount one and use it actively while I'm riding. I don't always follow the speed limts, so why have it on record? Nor do I always not cross double lines, so why have images on record? Makes no sense to me.

..As it was recently pointed out to me by a good friend who is a lawyer, he can and has, sucessfully argued that mere evidence from an electronic device isn't sufficent in that it "doesn't give the whole story" IE did the rider accelerate to avoid an animal, or other obstruction, in the road? To avoid a collision with another vehicle? Did the rider just get hit be a flying stone or a bee??? So in essence he said the officer may "use" the data collected by they also need other factors, (eyewitnesses, officer observations etc etc etc).

Speeding is speeding. One might have the charge discharged after pleading guilty with a reason. But that's up to a judge to decide, i.e. necessity of speed.

Just FYI Crossing a double line is also NOT an offence UNLESS there are also NO PASSING signs in the area.

Yes, it's an offense unless there is no oncoming traffic, and you don't go over the speed limit when you pass. Ummm...I don't cross doubles only under those circumstance.

Speeding is speeding. One might have the charge discharged after pleading guilty with a reason. But that's up to a judge to decide, i.e. necessity of speed.

Yes, it's an offense unless there is no oncoming traffic, and you don't go over the speed limit when you pass. Ummm...I don't cross doubles only under those circumstance.

Please post the relevant HTA section that says you can not pass where there are double yellow lines. The only thing the HTA says about passing when there are double yellow lines, (solid), is that it can not be completed if there are NO passing signs in the area. Otherwise you may pass on a double yellow line in the province of Ontario. The other references you have made apply to ALL passing manuovers, Then the HTA requires the pass to be made in a "safe manner"

I can't speak to all brands but I know the Garmin I have does indeed display "top speed" but it isn't time/date stamped, it merely, (to the best of my knowledge reords the highest speed EVER recorded not just in the last 30 minutes). My understanding from talking to a few friends who are still on the job to get that type of data, it would require the TSB, (Technical Services Branch), people with the software from Garmin. Those resources aren't used for simple traffic violations nor "possible reports". An officer, (street level copper), would be required to make a request to access those services, and would need apretty good reason. Not just well I have three "complaints".

Actually.. your GPS location data along with location of highest speed IS recorded to the "tracks" log on a Garmin/Zumo GPS. Normally you plug into your PC and read the data in base camp. You can see the data recorded every few seconds and in which location. Just double click the route and it will bring all the data up in a window . Basecamp also allows you to plot the speed as a graph against elevation.

1. Open BaseCamp; the GPS Device should show up on the left side under devices as shown above
  2. Further down on the left side, under Internal Storage or the model name, you should see a list of Favorites and Tracks (Active Logs) from your GPS
  3. Double click on a track to get the info below

Nuvi-BaseCamp.jpg

Nuvi-speed-records.jpg

BTW : On the Zumo 6xx Its only about 5 taps to get to the option to reset the log data. ;)

Last edited:
And then some *** who won't take responsibility for his own actions will sue whoever organizes this.

People these days do dangerous stuff knowing it's dangerous...then look for someone else to blame when things go wrong.

And the blamee starts a crowd funding page.

What a time to be alive.

Proceeding through an AMBER light is not an offence

[h=3]Amber light[/h] (15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).

(31.2) Every person who contravenes subsection (15) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $150 and not more than $500. 2009, c. 5, s. 44 (2).

Here is the full video in 1080p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T162GvuLESE

He was speeding fast in the empty stretches of hwy and slowing down when approaching cars. He lane split once right after a red light (totally legal in the rest of the world) and did a few passes that were somewhat tight but really not horrible considering he is on a motorcycle and not a big car. Its really not as bad as the news report makes it out to be. He is not some maniac that's for sure. Ye he broke the speed limit, but I don't think he was putting anyone at any danger with this "Stunt". Its not like he was going 200 km/h the entire time, he hits 200 and slows down right away. Most of the driving was at 130 -150 indicated which for that type of road with a divider is perfectly safe in my opinion.

Please watch the full video before flaming me.

Last edited:
Amber light

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).

(31.2) Every person who contravenes subsection (15) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $150 and not more than $500. 2009, c. 5, s. 44 (2).

As I said NOT an offence. The ONLY time it becomes an offence is if your involved in a collision or the light changes to red while your in the intersection, (at which point the charge is fail to stop, red lght). The poster stated he stopped when safe to do so. So the above is not relevant, I was pointing out his blanket statement that "running an amber" is not an offence.

No need to flame you. Just a few points have you ever been passed while driving at say 85 - 90 km in a posted 80 km/h zone by a vehicle going 150 - 200 km/h? If you have you would know how startling it can be. Put into that mix a newer driver who gets freaked and crashes. Now the bike isn't "involved" in that collision but they certainly contributed to it.

Not being a traffic engineer but I doubt your contention that that road has a "safe speed limit of 130 - 150" Even the best engineering studies indicate a "safe limit of 120" for the 400 series highways. While this rider appears competent and can ride "safely" at 130 - 150 doesn't mean other road users can, which is why the limits seem low to those of us who can and have ridden for a long period. But the limits have to take into account novice drivers/riders.

Had another vehicle done something unexpected in front of this rider, it too, (as have others), may have ended in tragedy. Other road users "expect" other vehicles to speed, within a small range above theirs, they don't anticipate a vehicle that is travelling at or close to twice the posted limit.

IMHO the ONLY place that 150 km/h speed is "safe" is on a track where the unknown is for the most part removed from the equation.

Here is the full video in 1080p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T162GvuLESE

He was speeding fast in the empty stretches of hwy and slowing down when approaching cars. He lane split once right after a red light (totally legal in the rest of the world) and did a few passes that were somewhat tight but really not horrible considering he is on a motorcycle and not a big car. Its really not as bad as the news report makes it out to be. He is not some maniac that's for sure. Ye he broke the speed limit, but I don't think he was putting anyone at any danger with this "Stunt". Its not like he was going 200 km/h the entire time, he hits 200 and slows down right away. Most of the driving was at 130 -150 indicated which for that type of road with a divider is perfectly safe in my opinion.

Please watch the full video before flaming me.

IMHO the ONLY place that 150 km/h speed is "safe" is on a track where the unknown is for the most part removed from the equation.

Before the new racing and stunting regulations I used to be at or near 150 before I got off the on ramp to the 401 every single day, twice a day, during my commute from Rockwood area to Conestoga in Kitchener. Never felt unsafe. Set cruise at 150 in the left lane and never touched it again until I got off the highway. Never got pulled over on the highway, either. And that was in Jetta which isn't really anything special. A diesel, actually. Hit 200 indicated trying to get to Toronto quickly (had a deadline) another time right after that (that's what the diesel topped out at). That was a bit sketchy especially since it was the start of rush hour. Mostly because I was worried someone would cut me off. I slowed down once I noticed how fast I was going as I wasn't trying to break any records, was just in a rush.

The roads can handle the speed fine but you're right that other drivers are a huge problem at those speeds. Especially since 50% of drivers don't signal or even look before they change lanes. I personally don't feel we should keep limits low because people can't drive properly but should instead figure out how to improve driver abilities. I may have driven fast and fairly aggressive back then but I also had people tell me it was amazing how much I looked around my vehicle checking blind spots, mirrors, signaling, and leaving buffer space around me. Until I got comments about this from 2-3 people, I just thought that was how you're supposed to be aware of what's around regardless of how fast you're going.

I've since slowed down since our laws are more strict and I'm getting old so there's less of a desire to speed (although I dropped to a 125 to also help protect my license and insurance rates but the thing still easily goes over 140) but I still don't think 150 is a dangerous speed for the 401.

I agree, "most" competent drivers and riders can easily do 150 along the 401, but is that truly a "safe speed" geiven as you pointed out "many drivers" don't check blind spots nor signal etc. But even if they did a quick shoulder check and they are doing say 110, and a bike is travelling at 150 - 200, (as this bike was at some point), the bike wouldn't be anywhere near them as they did the check with that speed differential.

My point is the speed limit can't be set at 150 for "comptent riders/drivers" and 120 for everyone else. If you ask 100 people if they are a competent driver/rider 97 of them will say yes, you will get the last three who realize they aren't, (but then they generally don't go on the 400 series highways). So the limits have to be set for everyone and not just those, (who in THEIR head), think they are the Rossi's..lol

I have driven high performance police pursuit vehicles in the ranges well north of 200 km/h, but that was in a closed course. I wouldn't dare try it today on ANY road, with other users present.. too much hurtin just around that next bend..lmao

Before the new racing and stunting regulations I used to be at or near 150 before I got off the on ramp to the 401 every single day, twice a day, during my commute from Rockwood area to Conestoga in Kitchener. Never felt unsafe. Set cruise at 150 in the left lane and never touched it again until I got off the highway. Never got pulled over on the highway, either. And that was in Jetta which isn't really anything special. A diesel, actually. Hit 200 indicated trying to get to Toronto quickly (had a deadline) another time right after that (that's what the diesel topped out at). That was a bit sketchy especially since it was the start of rush hour. Mostly because I was worried someone would cut me off. I slowed down once I noticed how fast I was going as I wasn't trying to break any records, was just in a rush.

The roads can handle the speed fine but you're right that other drivers are a huge problem at those speeds. Especially since 50% of drivers don't signal or even look before they change lanes. I personally don't feel we should keep limits low because people can't drive properly but should instead figure out how to improve driver abilities. I may have driven fast and fairly aggressive back then but I also had people tell me it was amazing how much I looked around my vehicle checking blind spots, mirrors, signaling, and leaving buffer space around me. Until I got comments about this from 2-3 people, I just thought that was how you're supposed to be aware of what's around regardless of how fast you're going.

I've since slowed down since our laws are more strict and I'm getting old so there's less of a desire to speed (although I dropped to a 125 to also help protect my license and insurance rates but the thing still easily goes over 140) but I still don't think 150 is a dangerous speed for the 401.

If it's not an offence, then *you* don't have to worry about it.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom