Bulb/ wiring | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bulb/ wiring

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
I have a thread looking for a sealed beam light #4449 locally, and still looking, however....on the ride in today the light was on, then cut out a little later. I also at this time noticed that the same side running light was out, but still operating when signaling, so now I'm thinking it's a wiring issue. Some may recall I had some issues with the headlight last year, so I think that my hack wiring job may be the issue. My question is: Do I need to solder (sp?) my connections, or will crimped butt connectors suffice?

butt connector will suffice

I was having a similar problem, when I replaced the socket, I ended up soldering and putting on heat shrink. It may be over-done but I haven't had a problem since.

I think I will go with the connectors for now, as I have never soldered before. But I will be replacing/ relocating my rear signals soon, so I may attempt it then. And heat shrink. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Electrical stability is critical for the longer term reliability of your bike. Connectors, switches, fuses, breaks in a wire all add to instability. If you have a need to disconnect a wire in the future, then use a connector. For example, there is a wire running from your turn signal switch back to you rear turn signal indicator lights. Maybe in the future you would like to disconnect these rear indicators in order to do maintenance. In this case having a connector is a benefit, but this adds maintenance and a very little bit of instability to your bike.

If you do not need to disconnect a wire, then I solder and heat shrink. Done well, a solder joint will provide almost the same reliability as a wire that was never cut. A soldered connection is very strong. Getting back to your turn signal wire from the front to the back of your bike. A single connector at the rear of the bike may be a worthwhile addition, especially of you need to swap out your rear lights in the future. Still, you really do not need 4 connectors for this single wire. Solder and heat shrink the other three, as this will add reliability to your electrical system.

Connectors are prone to fail. Yes, there are really reliable connectors out there, but the vast majority sold to regular guys are not great quality. Solder and heat shrink, if done well, is less prone to fail than a crimp connector. Unless you see a benefit for a connector I always opt for solder. Soldering is not difficult. I taught my 6yo to do a reliable solder and heat shrink connection. If he can do it, so can you. Soldering is also less expensive than crimp connectors, in the long run.

There is a thing called a solder-shrink that uses a low temperature solder inside a piece of adhesive lined heat shrink. A heat gun does it all. Personally I find them iffy.

There are also crimps in heat shrink.

Crimp and then shrink.

If you are using heat shrink I suggest adhesive lined to fully waterproof the connection.

I think I will go with the connectors for now, as I have never soldered before. But I will be replacing/ relocating my rear signals soon, so I may attempt it then. And heat shrink. Thanks for the feedback guys!
I do a lot of electrical work on bikes. Find that a touch of solder helps keep things connected. The shrink wrap for sure will help keep things sealed and pretty.

There is a thing called a solder-shrink that uses a low temperature solder inside a piece of adhesive lined heat shrink. A heat gun does it all. Personally I find them iffy.

There are also crimps in heat shrink.

Crimp and then shrink.

If you are using heat shrink I suggest adhesive lined to fully waterproof the connection.

I can purchase these items at an electrical supply store, like Sayal, I'm assuming?
After a very brief inspection, the issue may be where the wire connects to the female connector for the bulb, so it may have to be soldered.

I can purchase these items at an electrical supply store, like Sayal, I'm assuming?
After a very brief inspection, the issue may be where the wire connects to the female connector for the bulb, so it may have to be soldered.

Yes Sayal and A1 should have that stuff.

Princess Auto has what you need.

Princess Auto has what you need.

Sayal is closer to me, although I still need to see if Princess Auto has the bulb...maybe a good excuse for a ride to Newmarket.
If I get really lucky, may run into Sonny the Bull.

Sayal is closer to me, although I still need to see if Princess Auto has the bulb...maybe a good excuse for a ride to Newmarket.
If I get really lucky, may run into Sonny the Bull.

Ya, I wasn't trying to commandeer your life, I just thought I'd pass along some info. Who is Sonny the Bull?

Ya, I wasn't trying to commandeer your life, I just thought I'd pass along some info. Who is Sonny the Bull?

You may feign ignorance, but it cannot hide the obvious man-crush.

You may feign ignorance, but it cannot hide the obvious man-crush.

OK, busted. What can I say, the man has neat toys. I've made a lifestyle of hanging around with people for what they own ever since I discovered minibikes. STB is proving a tough nut to crack.

Update: Took the bulb out of housing. Connections are u prongs, screwed to bulb. They, and ground all look good. Tried lights, bulb worked, signal running light not working. Reinstalled bulb. Doesn't work again. Maybe a kink in the wire? Will have to follow other wire as well to find that issue.

#4449, that's the two-prong 4 1/2" bulb right? With two screws for the connectors? They have stacks of them at Princess Auto. On a single headlight bike you should have a three prong (daytime running light, high beam and ground). What kind of setup are you running? Two headlights?

#4449, that's the two-prong 4 1/2" bulb right? With two screws for the connectors? They have stacks of them at Princess Auto. On a single headlight bike you should have a three prong (daytime running light, high beam and ground). What kind of setup are you running? Two headlights?

The 4449 lights are mounted on a lightbar.

Really? Awesome! A few people suggested there, but haven't had a chance to head over yet.
Yeah those are the ones. Like Iceman said, they are on my lightbar.
Looks like I'll be heading over after work. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom