Thoughts on ABS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on ABS?

Owlman

So I'm looking for a new bike, my first, in the 300~500cc class.

From what I understand ABS is now becoming more and more important from a regulatory standpoint and almost all bikes *ahem R3* offer it as an option. My question is should it be a deal breaker if I find a bike without it?

Would practicing and learning proper threshold breaking techniques be enough along with proper driving techniques?

Your thoughts as always are much appreciated.

Abs is a good thing. However I don't see it as a deal breaker, my current bike does not have it. I've never had it on any bike I've ever owned, I've been riding street since 1989. Ymmv

If you're riding in Canada, then you're going to be off the bike for a few months each year.
So you'll be rusty. ABS helps.

The other thing is that I haven't had anyone come close to my stopping distances when we practice.
I have ABS. I'm sure that a pro could beat me with practice, but we'd be back to square one when the surface changed. Unless I was buying a Vintage bike, it would have ABS.

Lots of threads about ABS. I would not buy a bike without it. The stopping power is incredible, no wheel lock up, you just stop. Others will voice opposite, again plenty of threads about ABS if you search.

It does not belong on a Motorcycle.

It's a contentious issue here. Something to remember is that motorcycle ABS has come a long way in the last three decades... there used to be some significant trade-offs but those have all but disappeared. I have yet to own a bike with ABS, but there are many on the market today that I would consider.

So, a deal breaker? Nah... And ABS probably won't sway me to pick one model over another. But if it were available on a bike I wanted, and it was a modern system, I would probably option it

So I'm looking for a new bike, my first, in the 300~500cc class.

From what I understand ABS is now becoming more and more important from a regulatory standpoint and almost all bikes *ahem R3* offer it as an option. My question is should it be a deal breaker if I find a bike without it?

Would practicing and learning proper threshold breaking techniques be enough along with proper driving techniques?

Your thoughts as always are much appreciated.

Only you can make that decision for yourself. I would recommend that you do an online search for articles on motorcycle ABS. There are some comments and research starting points in this recent thread that may help you to make that decision but, ultimately, I would recommend not taking the advice of the riders here on the matter.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?191225-Yamaha-WTF-!!

At some point in the future which I will not be a part of except maybe from flat on my back in the old age home abs/non-abs will be a clear distinction in the vintage motorcycle hobby, racing or regular. Non abs riders will achieve a level of street cred formerly reserved for the likes of Hailwood and Agostini. So, the future is wide open for Joe "Big Cojonie" Blow. How is that not a win for humanity? +1 abs.

Never had, and probably never will have abs. As far as ABS goes, the jury is still out on that one.

Never had ABS until my current bike. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I'd rather have it than not have it because of the miles I put on each year and the fact I ride from March till December. If you own a garage queen or are only a fairweather rider, ABS shouldn't be a factor.

The Isle of Man TT is run in June so abs hasn't really caught on there. Makes one wonder if legislation would speed the process along?

The Isle of Man TT is run in June so abs hasn't really caught on there. Makes one wonder if legislation would speed the process along?

I'll agree with that sort of sentiment as soon as the average rider can demonstrate the same level of skill as a TT rider.

I'll agree with that sort of sentiment as soon as the average rider can demonstrate the same level of skill as a TT rider.

If I could get you on board with my sort of sentiment I would consider that a win. I'll see what I can do.

My 990 SMT came with it. I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but I've been riding on and off road for 35 years.

That said I don't notice it and haven't had it infer itself into any riding situation, except when I intentionally played with it on sandy pavement to see how it worked. It was quite effective, but jeez it was tough to grab all of the brakes when I knew I was on sand.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either way and may be a good thing for a new rider.

Another nanny device that gives "new" riders a false sense of security/invincibility.

Only ever had one front wheel lock up on the streets in the last 10 years or so, completely my fault riding too fast and too close for my own good. Nice gentle reminder for me to slow the **** down in dicey weather.

Don't get me wrong ABS/traction control is the way of the future, but before one walks, one must crawl and i'm afraid the newer generation of riders are simply skipping this step.

My previous bike had it. Was helpful in emergency stopping situations (in a straight line), but it didn't react well to braking on rough or irregular surfaces. ABS intervention would think the bike was slipping and give less actual braking, which was very distracting while trying to control the bike on rough pavement. My current bike does not have it. I was mixed about buying one without, but it was the bike I wanted and the deal was too good to pass up. The brakes are much better with good feel, so I have no regrets about not getting ABS.

All ABS are not equal, and all brakes are not equal. ABS has gone thru some significant improvements, but given the choice, I'd still take top end brakes over average brakes & average ABS. The way things are going, I'm sure my next bike will have both good brakes & ABS.

Have it on my current bike but not others. I think it's a useful addition to your safety arsenal but it hasn't changed the way I ride.

Stunning bike! Like it a lot more than the 1190.

My 990 SMT came with it. I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but I've been riding on and off road for 35 years.

That said I don't notice it and haven't had it infer itself into any riding situation, except when I intentionally played with it on sandy pavement to see how it worked. It was quite effective, but jeez it was tough to grab all of the brakes when I knew I was on sand.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either way and may be a good thing for a new rider.

Back
Top Bottom