Why the heck are used dual sports/adventure bikes so expensive? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why the heck are used dual sports/adventure bikes so expensive?

drumstyx

I love riding all sorts of different bikes, and the reason I can do that is because I buy fixer-uppers and, well, fix them up. Left-in-the-barn stuff, or stopped-riding-after-college stuff. Why is it that adventure bikes never get below the $1500 mark or so on listings, even running like crap? I'd love to pick anything up, even a little 350, for under $1000 if it's on/off-road capable, but these KLRs for $1200 that people talk about in the US are just nowhere to be found here! What gives?!

The accessories that will probably come with the bike are probably worth more than $1500 used would be my guess.

There's just a dearth of old bikes right now on classifieds sites. The sub-$1000 basket cases tend to show up in the fall.

(I am sort of looking at getting a beat-up KLR/DR/XR650 too.)

For *any* bike that is street legal and not a complete mess, there is a floor on pricing. For semi-popular bikes that floor is higher (e.g. KLR650s)

I tend not to worry too much about base price when you are already at the floor. No money to be lost if the condition remains about the same. Sometimes 1200 is a better deal than 800....

Used dual sports are also slightly more "rare" than a ss or a cruiser. This usually demands a premium. :)

I thought that I would pick something up for my son, to get him into riding. I checked out a few ADV's, DS's and dirt bikes as well. I was surprised at how well they hold their value. Still going to get him something, but we're probably looking at a couple grand at least.

For *any* bike that is street legal and not a complete mess, there is a floor on pricing. For semi-popular bikes that floor is higher (e.g. KLR650s)

I'd buy a non-runner without much concern; I love garage time. I guess one thing is KLRs tend not to sit, and as long as they're used they tend to never die.

My experience is that the 'floor' is around $1200, usually negotiable down to $1000 or slightly less. That doesn't really match up with the experience of seeing KLRs at $2500 though...

I found the same with cars. I thought I would find a half decent, yet old, and high mileage, car for around $1000-1500 a few years back. Quickly learned that anything worth considering was around at least the $3k mark. $5k if you want it to last awhile without any major repairs. Of course if you're able and willing to do all repairs yourself you can probably get something cheaper but I'm not handy enough to do a whole suspension update, clutch change, body work, etc in my driveway.

I've also been trying to find an old a cheap dual sport or street legal dirtbike and they are few and far between, from what I can tell.

GF pregnant, banjo broken, need cash.

or just looking for a beer buddy.

Yesterday, on 50 Rd heading into Rockwood I passed a full on dirtbike no plate no nothing cruisin down the road like nobodies business. Then we passed an OPP cruiser at the roadside. Dirtbiker carried on into downtown Rockwood cool as a clam. I love country folk.

They are popular right now. Very popular. Utility, cheap insurance, fun, why sell?

Buddy at work just got a 2004 Suzuki something-650SE dual sport.

New rider.
Full insurance coverage.
Insurance $850/year.
Sign me up for motard!

Obviously not for everyone, but everyone has their compromises to choose. At the very least, it's a good way to start the hobby, imho.

or twin?

but yeah... the insurance is a very big selling point in ontario. the money you pay on the bike, youll save on premiums

or twin?

but yeah... the insurance is a very big selling point in ontario. the money you pay on the bike, youll save on premiums

Those riding GSXRs might, but I ride 15+ year old standards/sport tourings, except my Vulcan 900. They're mid-displacement standards, so they're insured as such, but the 'legend' of low insurance is for some reason tied to adventure bikes.

Back
Top Bottom