There are just some bikers that need to get run over. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

There are just some bikers that need to get run over.

Canadian Tire doesn't sell bicycles.

I'm only on my first coffee. This went right over my head....they only sell super cycles? Yeah. I think that's what you meant. Funny. Not quite lol, but I smirked. Maybe it's because they only had eff'n Disney branded over priced bikes for kids. Damnit! Supercycles were good enough for me, I want one for my kid!

I'm only on my first coffee. This went right over my head....they only sell super cycles? Yeah. I think that's what you meant. Funny. Not quite lol, but I smirked. Maybe it's because they only had eff'n Disney branded over priced bikes for kids. Damnit! Supercycles were good enough for me, I want one for my kid!

That's it, they stick Disney cars, princesses, or Dora on it, a $35 bike becomes $99. My kid just needs a bike.
My super cycle does me just fine, I don't ride competitively. I ride with my wife/kids on the bike paths in our neighbourhood, campgrounds etc. I don't need an expensive bicycle for that.

if your kid is just riding with buddies, leaving it leaning against the tree on the lawn and has 0 interest in doing any maintenance at all, CTC is just fine. If they show a spark or want to ride at a better level, burn that bridge when you get there.

We have ten yr olds showing up at the yacht club for sailing camp and dropping $2500 bikes in the gravel, but that's nothing compared to what they do with the 10K dingy mommy bought them.

If there's anything that "needs to get run over" (really?!?! bad karma man!!!! stop thinking like this for your own good please), then it's a Super Cycle.

Leave that isht behind mommy/daddy's truck in the morning before they leave for work.

Any bicycle bought at Canadian Tire is garbage.

More than a few times someone has asked me for bike buying advice.

- What's your budget?
- $500
- Ok, so you should buy a used hard tail. You can probably find something on Pinkbike or Kijiji with a solid frame, decent fork, and decent components in that price range.
- Can I just get a CCM full suspension from CT?
- No. Here are 5 bikes in Pinkbike/Kijiji that will suit your needs.
- I think I should just get a CCM from CT.
- Fine....

(two months later)

- Hey, my shifters don't work well and my wheels are bent.
- I know.
- Can I fix that?
- No... put it in a dumpster and buy one of the bikes from Pinkbike or Kijiji.

- What's your budget?
- $500
- Ok, so you should buy a used hard tail. You can probably find something on Pinkbike or Kijiji with a solid frame, decent fork, and decent components in that price range.
- Fine....

(two months later)

- I know.
- Can I fix that?

620x369xmachine-gun-facebook-like1-5466515002508-1024x610.png.pagespeed.ic.1A5OzGbPCU.jpg

The business model for tune-ups at my LBS is:

Bike you bought here - $
Bike you bought at another shop - $+1
Bike you bought at CTC/box store - $+3

Last edited:

- What's your budget?
- $500
- Fine....

(two months later)

- I know.
- Can I fix that?

My dad showed up at St-Eaustache with a new ccm, what a giant POS! Ya it's for riding around at the track but that doesn't make it any less of a POS with bent wheels, brakes that barely work, and shifts like a Harley. My kid will not ride a CT bike and I'll be buying two bikes for me and my wife in the next year or two. All will be used from kijiji except probably mine, it'll be new, and stand up to the beatings I will put on it showing up the neighbourhood 8 year olds while I jump curbs.

My dad showed up at St-Eaustache with a new ccm, what a giant POS! Ya it's for riding around at the track but that doesn't make it any less of a POS with bent wheels, brakes that barely work, and shifts like a Harley. My kid will not ride a CT bike and I'll be buying two bikes for me and my wife in the next year or two. All will be used from kijiji except probably mine, it'll be new, and stand up to the beatings I will put on it showing up the neighbourhood 8 year olds while I jump curbs.

I saw the CT flyer.... the CCM bikes were "on sale" for $400-$500

For that cash you could actually get a GOOD bike off of Pinkbike. http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?location=35-9-*&category=2&price=400..600

Print off a few pages and smack your dad over the head with em.

Paid $99 this week at C-Tire for a new bicycle for my son, fits what he needs riding around the neighbourhood.

With the $400 i saved from buying a fancy bicycle like you guys recommend, it paid for a nice day at trailtours for him.

I saw the CT flyer.... the CCM bikes were "on sale" for $400-$500

For that cash you could actually get a GOOD bike off of Pinkbike. http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?location=35-9-*&category=2&price=400..600

Print off a few pages and smack your dad over the head with em.

It was only $125 from $250, it's worth $5 in scrap material.

Paid $99 this week at C-Tire for a new bicycle for my son, fits what he needs riding around the neighbourhood.

With the $400 i saved from buying a fancy bicycle like you guys recommend, it paid for a nice day at trailtours for him.

My first ride on my ccm at 10 years old I bent the wheels/handlebars and the brakes failed. I had that stupid thing for years until I saved up my money and bought a new Haro. I beat the piss out of that bike (dirt jumping, stairs, rain you name it) for 3-4 years and never had to replace a part.

The Norco bikes I'm familiar with are really good bikes. Can you provide some links to the $350 bikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm remembering the price wrong but here's something similar to the one I got a few years ago for a bit more:

http://www.norco.com/bikes/city/hybrids/yorkville/yorkville/

Bought a hybrid for the gf a few years back.

To be honest I don't know a lot about hybrid bikes and I'm not too familiar with those components.

But my gut tells me that anything with Norco printed on it will be better than anything you find at CT.

If you're not in a rush go to the Toronto Bicycle Show in the winter. You can get some great deals on previous model year bikes.

To be honest I don't know a lot about hybrid bikes and I'm not too familiar with those components.

But my gut tells me that anything with Norco printed on it will be better than anything you find at CT.

If you're not in a rush go to the Toronto Bicycle Show in the winter. You can get some great deals on previous model year bikes.

Norco definitely makes some decent stuff. However personally, I wouldn't touch their entry 350 mountain bikes. I'm not being an elitest or saying you have to spend 10k but the components at that level I find aren't much better than the cheap stuff elsewhere. Norco offers the storm which starts somewhere just below 500 for a 27" and around the same for the 29er (both hardtails) which is more than enough bike for the occasional rider. Also I'll add their higher end stuff is really, really nice.

I'm not in the market right now. I'm just asking because in a previous bicycle thread someone said Norco was in the same class as Supercycle.

Now that I think about it, I think it was a 1 year old model I got at like 40% off or something. Suppose I could go find the receipt, if I cared enough.

Norco definitely makes some decent stuff. However personally, I wouldn't touch their entry 350 mountain bikes. I'm not being an elitest or saying you have to spend 10k but the components at that level I find aren't much better than the cheap stuff elsewhere. Norco offers the storm which starts somewhere just below 500 for a 27" and around the same for the 29er (both hardtails) which is more than enough bike for the occasional rider. Also I'll add their higher end stuff is really, really nice.

I'm not in the market right now. I'm just asking because in a previous bicycle thread someone said Norco was in the same class as Supercycle.

Now that I think about it, I think it was a 1 year old model I got at like 40% off or something. Suppose I could go find the receipt, if I cared enough.

I did a little more research on that Norco Yorkville. I wasn't able to find may reviews on the bike itself but the Easy Fire shifters and Tourney derailleurs get pretty good reviews. The Tektro V-brakes will be more than adequate too.

As far as Hybrid commuter bikes go I think that would be a good rig. Most of the reputable big brands (Norco, Trek, Cannondale, etc) offer a similar bike, keep an eye out for a sale and you could probably get one in the $350 range you were mentioning.

Back
Top Bottom