Psss...wanna buy some tape..... SOLAS reflective tape. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Psss...wanna buy some tape..... SOLAS reflective tape.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Picked off the StromTrooper forum.

SOLAS Tape; Big and Bold
Recently 2 cagers played chicken with me; they being bigger won. No harm done, but rarely did drivers play chicken with my larger touring bike. I'd rather pre-empt this behavior than use sign language at the offenders. I installed 1 inch wide SOLAS reflective tape (brand LifeSafe) on my handguards. This is hi viz during the day and almost blinding at night.
I played with various patterns, then settled on a 5 inch horizontal strip for two reasons: It's a lot of reflective surface, and by stretching the tape out to the widest points on the bike (handguards), it effectively makes the bike look bigger than before. My goal is to cause drivers to hesitate before impulsively muscling through intersections and merges. It may only take 1/2 second for the brain's caveman to communicate to the banker, and that may be enough.

I hit this photo with a flash during daylight, so even the smallest direct light during the day initiates reflectivity

120073d1435171134-solas-tape%3B-big-bold-img_1648.jpg

120081d1435171146-solas-tape%3B-big-bold-img_1642.jpg

Identi-TapeLogo.gif

3M-uscg-wht-bg.jpg

3M-uscg-red-bg.jpg
3M-uscg-yell-bg.jpg

3M-uscg-grn-bg.jpg

3M-uscg-org-bg.jpg

The motherload ....up to 6" wide !!!!

IDENTI-TAPE - 3M US Coast Guard Approved Marine Grade Reflective Tape

Sorta like the orange but the silver white matches the Scott tho the yellow matches my helmet....yellow I think for me

Maybe regional riders hook up to buy some. Like the 3" version. Anyone want to split a 15' roll?

[video=youtube;Ze1LqpzaMB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze1LqpzaMB0[/video]

Last edited:
Great idea, but shop here at home: Adhesive 3M Solas Grade Reflective Tape, available from Motorcycle Innovations for $7.95, http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/product_p/solas.htm. Matt is a great guy with whom to deal. Maybe he'll even cut you a deal on shipping. I bought one two foot strip and then sliced and diced it to my liking.

Here's my lid with the reflective tape. Now you see 'em, now you don't:

2zh2u7p.jpg

11rga6p.jpg

Jayell, as I don't have the patience for such type of work, would you consider doing the same on my helmet for $$ ?

All you have to do is cut it with scissors.

It's not the cutting, it's the application. I always did terrible in art as a kid. ?

Back
Top Bottom