Petition - Allow single-rider motorcycles in Ontario's HOV lanes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Petition - Allow single-rider motorcycles in Ontario's HOV lanes

They are, any car with a green license plate is allowed on the provincial HOV lanes.
I could have sworn the Ottawa HOV lanes were for single rider motorcycles too and it was handy but I don't really see why motorcycles should be singled out as a special case. What about hybrid or electric cars too?

If you bother to open the petition and read the reasons you would see why. You might disagree but the why is there.
You want me to sign something, and when I ask why, you want me to go look it up for you?

The tittle says the why, so that "Single-Rider motorcycles in Ontario are allowed in the HOV lanes" if what you wanted was the benefits then the link I provided would give you the benefits, if what you want is for me to try and convince anyone or give you reasons so that you can argue against it, then go bark at a different tree.
Simple, if you agree with the tittle, sign it, if you don't agree with the tittle, move on to the next thread.

Life does not need to be that complicated.

You want me to sign something, and when I ask why, you want me to go look it up for you?

As much as I'd love this to happen, it won't. Can you imagine the squids if it went through? They'd ruin it for everyone. People already think the HOV lane is the super fast lane where 20 over is too slow.

And that petition is almost 3 years old with merely ~800 signatures.

When the lane beside it is doing 30-40 over it does make the whole idea of an express lane for HOV kind of pointless if it's going slower.

They are, any car with a green license plate is allowed on the provincial HOV lanes.

The point of the HOV lanes was to deal with the fact that the vast majority of commuters is one person, one car. HOV is supposed to promote more efficient commuting.
One rider on one bike on most bikes is far less efficient than 2-4 people in a car.

But, I avoid the HOVs by car, too many Griswolds running at 100 km/hr, or cell phone Audi SUV types crossing back and forth on the double white while sealing the big deal. It's become the moron lane. They are doing us a favor.

The point of the HOV lanes was to deal with the fact that the vast majority of commuters is one person, one car. HOV is supposed to promote more efficient commuting.
One rider on one bike on most bikes is far less efficient than 2-4 people in a car.

But, I avoid the HOVs by car, too many Griswolds running at 100 km/hr, or cell phone Audi SUV types crossing back and forth on the double white while sealing the big deal. It's become the moron lane. They are doing us a favor.

Could you then explain if what you say is true, how come the DVP, Eglinton, Gardiner and a few more DO allow Motorcycles on the HOV lane?

Caferay I have bad news.... the major highways here have become all moron lanes since about... their creation. They're everywhere, not just hov.

Could you then explain if what you say is true, how come the DVP, Eglinton, Gardiner and a few more DO allow Motorcycles on the HOV lane?

That's about congestion. Band-aid solution to 40 years of non-expansion and crap city planning.

That can be debated. What are you defining for efficiency (fuel economy, footprint, emissions)? What do you consider an average bike (are you factoring in highway capable scooters)? What do you consider an average car?

Councillor/Motorcyclist with basic reasoning skills, and a well thought out argument?

I'll copy and paste what I wrote down in a different thread.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/2015/03/31/motorcycle-tolls/70707396/

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/carpool.shtml

Long Island, NY they've installed HOV-3 lanes, where motorcycles need to go 3-up or pay a toll to use these lanes. However motorcyclist and AMA are arguing the U.S. Federal Department of Transportation requires motorcycles into the HOV lanes for free.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/USCODE-2010-title23/USCODE-2010-title23-chap1-sec166
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2010-title23/pdf/USCODE-2010-title23-chap1-sec166.pdf

The U.S. Code governing HOV lanes — Title 23, Section 166 (23USC166) — states agencies that govern HOV lanes must allow motorcycles to use the lanes unless they prove motorcycles pose a safety hazard on the lanes, and that proof is accepted by the U.S. Transportation Secretary following a Federal Register notice and public comment period on the ban.​

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/faq.htm#faq15

Why are motorcycles allowed in some HOV lanes?

Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk.​

Why can't the provincial government pull their heads out of their arses, and come to the same sensible conclusion?

The U.S. also has a strong groups, AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) which actually push for changes like this: http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/article/ama-statement-motorcycles-hov-lanes-nyc

Who is representing us in Ontario? Canada? *crickets*​

Why doesn't Ontario just copy Federal legislation from the United States? Let motorcycles into the HOV lanes for safety!

If the U.S. Department of Transportation, which governs 210 million U.S. drivers says it's more safer, and motorcycle shall be allowed in HOV lanes. Why does ON government come to a different conclusion?

Can we get expert witnesses from the U.S. DoT to appear at a motorcycle HOV lane trial here, and force the appeal courts to allow motorbikes in the HOV lane? Or maybe a competent lawyer to go through their research and present it in ON courts?

Those arguing... well i'm not going to go use provincial HOV lanes even with marked white hash-lines that if crossed in the wrong location carry $110 + 3 demerit points... do you want a concrete median separating the HOV lane?

If non-HOV traffic is at a stand-still, you don't have to be travelling at +100km/hr in the HOV. Lower your speed and anticipate to brake, or if you don't feel comfortable change into the non-HOV lanes and wait in bumper-to-bumper traffic and heighten your senses for distracted drivers texting/browsing on their smartphones.

At the end of the day, why not just join the U.S. safety bandwagon? Even if you're not going to use it, at least let it be an option. Make some appreciable change for the community.

Just read an old wheels article about motorcycle in ON HOV lanes.

Ontario misses an HOV incentive

http://www.wheels.ca/news/ontario-misses-an-hov-incentive/

Mark Richardson for Wheels (Toronto Star)

Why not allow bikes in there too? They take up hardly any space, use little gas and it would encourage motorcyclists to leave their cars at home. After all, it's not much fun sitting in highway traffic on a motorcycle even if it is cheaper, but the promise of a quicker trip might be enough incentive to choose the bike.
"We haven't looked at the issue of motorcycles … We don't have at this point any plans to add motorcycles to the HOV lanes," she said.

"This has just not been part of our thinking. I have no problem taking it back to the table for further consideration and I know that people have been talking about the issue of hybrids as well. But our whole premise of the HOV lane was based on occupancy and not on vehicle, and I don't know if that opens the door to, for example, the Smart car, which is not much bigger than a motorcycle.

"It has not been and it is not on our agenda at this point."

It saddened me to hear this. When I asked her predecessor Harinder Takhar about this in 2005 he was the transport minister who initiated the HOV lanes; he'd said the same thing.
"The thing is, if you do it with one, where do you stop? First it's motorcycles, then scooters, then the Smart cars, and so on."

He then promised to look at the issue further.​

There's a lot more HOV lanes coming very soon, Hwy 427 and Hwy 404 HOV from 407 to Newmarket. Province already has transponder technology from 407 which they'll be using for Hwy 412 as well. It's almost inevitable, there will be paid HOT lanes to fund all these projects.

If the exemption isn't put in place now, it will be pay-per-use once the province installs HOT.

Last edited:

Actually, you would be looking it up for yourself, since you want to know the answers.

Baggsy.... The man of reason on gtam

Let's put it all in the context of how the conversation went.

He said "THE POINT OF HOV LANES WAS"

Then I asked this question
Because if the point of the HOV (as he said) was to "deal with the fact that the vast majority of commuters is one person, one car. HOV is supposed to promote more efficient commuting"

Then how come Toronto HOV lanes do admit Motorcycles.

Then you said
Councillor/Motorcyclist with basic reasoning skills, and a well thought out argument?

So I wasn't really asking the question on its own for someone else to answer, I know the answer, my question was to Caferay to point out that he is full of crap on what he says is fact.

There!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom