MoToronto BIKE MEET | GTAMotorcycle.com

MoToronto BIKE MEET

Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyGreenGiant

MoToronto is hosting a big bike meet this Sunday July 5, 2015.

I would like to meet everyone first then leave to MoToronto.

Time: 11AM, depart at 11:30 LATEST!!!

hope all the downtown riders join!!!

see you guys there

Last edited:
Shoot. I'm working all day Sunday 8am-4pm f m l.... Motosocial next week though, lnl every week.. Any idea on route/ time line/duration of this ride?

Who/what/where is MoToronto? Never heard of it, and google doesn't give anything useful.

it's a group ride organized by a few Toronto's local motovloggers, these guys have a Youtube channel, go there and search for MoToronto and you'll see how the last event went.

everyone is welcome to join in on this event, it's not just for motovloggers

Hey can you text me at 647-964-3846 I need more info regarding the ride.

Thank you!:)

It looked like the laziest mistake ever. Like he slowly drifted lazily into the ditch. It was kind of weird..

Hey everyone, I just joined because I heard about this post going a bit off course from a rider who came to the meet.
I would like to introduce myself as the owner of the meet up.

Feel free to check out the following links to see more about the meet and to understand what happened and why it did:
https://instagram.com/dmotovlogs/
https://instagram.com/motorontoride/
https://www.youtube.com/dmotovlogs (Where I posted a bunch of videos regarding the ride ahead of time)
-feel free to youtube "MoToronto"

This is only the third time it has been held publicly, and the other two times have gone perfectly fine.

The 2 crashes were due to gravel on the roads. Out of 50 riders, only 2 riders were injured.
There were reports of residents in the neighbourhood spreading gravel on the road to keep bikes away, so we made sure to take the first run slowly and kept the dangerous corners in mind.
The second run we were all still very cautious, but the gravel got the best of 3 riders.
One being myself, where the gravel kicked out my rear tire while I was going just under the speed limit around a corner where the other rider crashed, causing me to drop my bike as well.
The other rider who was injured was two turns back which also fell over due to gravel.

The riders who fell and got injured (Excluding myself) have 5 yrs+ riding experience.
For those of you wondering, the two riders are recovering well; one has major bruising and a bad rash on his hip (Wearing gear) and the other hit his shoulder really hard when he fell and will be on the bike within two months.

Just wanted to clear a few things up.
Cheers,

-Dan

Funny, I did the length of River Road on Sunday as well and don't remember any gravel worth mentioning.
But then again, I was only doing about 20 over, the mostly 50 and 60kmph limits.
But Prince of Wales was still a bit of a mess with gravel in a few of the turns, where they had freshly paved the road.

The 2 crashes were due to gravel on the roads. Out of 50 riders, only 2 riders were injured.
There were reports of residents in the neighbourhood spreading gravel on the road to keep bikes away, so we made sure to take the first run slowly and kept the dangerous corners in mind.
The second run we were all still very cautious, but the gravel got the best of 3 riders.
One being myself, where the gravel kicked out my rear tire while I was going just under the speed limit around a corner where the other rider crashed, causing me to drop my bike as well.
The other rider who was injured was two turns back which also fell over due to gravel.

No. The crashes were due to completely incorrect cornering lines plus inappropriate speed for the (wrong) cornering line that was taken.

There does tend to be gravel in certain corners on that road, but it's generally visible and you can ride around it ... particularly if you have already gone through at a low speed and ought to have known where it was, and dealt with it appropriately.

Take this course: www.racer5.ca

Hopefully this was a learning experience.

Hey everyone, I just joined because I heard about this post going a bit off course from a rider who came to the meet.
I would like to introduce myself as the owner of the meet up.

Feel free to check out the following links to see more about the meet and to understand what happened and why it did:
https://instagram.com/dmotovlogs/
https://instagram.com/motorontoride/
https://www.youtube.com/dmotovlogs (Where I posted a bunch of videos regarding the ride ahead of time)
-feel free to youtube "MoToronto"

This is only the third time it has been held publicly, and the other two times have gone perfectly fine.

The riders who fell and got injured (Excluding myself) have 5 yrs+ riding experience.
For those of you wondering, the two riders are recovering well; one has major bruising and a bad rash on his hip (Wearing gear) and the other hit his shoulder really hard when he fell and will be on the bike within two months.

Just wanted to clear a few things up.
Cheers,

-Dan

Dan, thanks for joining the conversation.

Where do I start...

The crashes were not because of gravel. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though, perhaps you didn't see the crashes personally or even watch the videos yourself? Hm, oh wait, you crashed too. Either way... The crashes were due to poor riding, taking bad lines, and excessive speed. The fact that the other 47 riders in your group as well as countless other motorcyclists riding River Road that day managed to successfully navigate those corners without crashing means gravel wasn't an issue. We can see in the video that one of the crashees was going way too fast, taking a horrible line, and not leaning at all (while his buddy riding behind him pulls the clutch in a panic). These were inexperienced riders crashing because they were riding well above their abilities, not because of gravel.

Then you say "only 2 riders were injured" as if that's a number to be proud of. Three riders went down on your "ride", but hey it was only 3 out of 50... oh boy. If a single rider goes down on your ride, it's time to reconsider leading group rides, let alone three.

The crashes aren't the only concern either. The videos published so far show that the ride was a complete **** show and not far off from Ride of the Century type ********. Riders passing other riders in the group, ridiculously excessive speed (one video shows 150 in a 60), people that don't know what staggered means, and general shenanigans like stopping and parking their bikes in the road and standing around like a bunch of idiots.

Last but not least, the ride was just poorly organized and a joke. WTF kind of lead says we don't wait up for slower riders and take off when you want? Particularly when you're doing 150 in a 60... (but hey, "Abide by the rules of the road!" right? And *running red lights is not permitted* but going more than double the posted speed limit is fine!). So what happens if a rider goes down in a ditch somewhere and nobody sees, you just assume they went on their merry way? If you're going to organize a ride with 50 people, you need a responsible leader, you need group captains and you need sweepers. And everyone who joins should be accounted for at each stop.

Take a step back from leading for a while before someone gets seriously hurt or killed.

Last edited:
People in your group crashed and I'm glad everybody was okay. But please quit making excuses, and vilify the locals on the cause why some of the riders went down... Everybody on this forum rides, and the majority have ridden there. We know the area, and what it's like.

Just returning home from river now. It's fine. Prince of wales is a bit of a mess but other than that the route is clear. Stop with the locals spread gravel bs. None of what went wrong in those videos has anything to do with anyone other than the riders. Every time it rains, some of the areas on the road end up with washed out gravel on the road. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. The crashes, especially the first one in the videos were not gravel related. That "corner" is barely even a turn. Bad lines, too much speed and too much being a hot dog caused them. Hopefully if there's a next time you all learned and will make it with 0 injuries or crashes. This is why I had said thanks for the warning to ride elsewhere. Too many times big groups come from elsewhere without knowing the road and think it's a racetrack. That area can be deadly. Feel lucky your 3 crashes walked away. Others haven't been so fortunate.

The sad part is it's not even a technical road. none of the roads in that area are. Which is why I get confused about all the excitement over them. Yeah there are minor twists but nothing that equals a racetrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom