Sorry, NOOB Question about insuring bike. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sorry, NOOB Question about insuring bike.

jewman22

Hey everyone,

I recently completed the Learning Curves M1 exit course and am looking for a first bike, however, due to outrageous insurance quotes i've been getting, i've decided to wait a year until my allstate broker will insure me.

My question is, If I buy a used motorcycle and store it over the winter, do I need to have insurance to change the ownership over?

the bike wont be plated. I'd be looking at putting it up on blocks and repairing if needed until the spring. as well as getting it safetied and all that legal crap.

sorry for the noob question, but i haven't ever had to change n ownership before, I bought my first vehicle new so the dealer did all that for me.

thanks

No you do not need insurance to change the ownership. But on the ownership it'll state that the bike is unfit until you safety and get plates+ insurance.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

perfect, thanks for the response, so all i'l need is a safety and insurance to get my plates to put it back on the road? nice, thought the gov would make it harder then that.

perfect, thanks for the response, so all i'l need is a safety and insurance to get my plates to put it back on the road? nice, thought the gov would make it harder then that.

nope. The only "difficult" part is trailering it or throwing it in a pickup to get it to your place of safety. Good luck!

Actually, you can safety the bike without insurance so when you're ready....all you have to do is plate it.

Actually, you can safety the bike without insurance so when you're ready....all you have to do is plate it.

This is true, and probably the best option. Agree with the seller to get it certified, then register the bike as FIT - UNPLATED.

I bought a bike last fall and registered it UNFIT UNPLATED. So this spring, I had to trailer it to a shop, then trailer it to the ministry.

Why did you have to trailer it to the ministry? Do they need to see the bike?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Probably just hit the ministry after after leaving the shop

Thanks for the replies everyone, I drive an F150, and a mechanic is right around the corner from me, so getting the bike over there isn't a big deal. I'm intending on doing some work on the bike over the winter anyway with no intent on riding this year since insurance rates are nothing short of highway robbery.

Just to clarify this with the best of my knowledge.

You may only get a temporary plate (required to ride to get the bike safetied) "X" amount of days after the ownership transfer. You may only get a temporary plate if the vehicle was previously "FIT".

When you register it without a safety or without plates, it will be registered as "UNPLATED - UNFIT". Therefore in the spring, you may not get a temporary plate to ride to get the bike safetied.

But it doesnt look like the OP has this issue as he can just take the bike in the back of the F150 he has access to for the safety certification in the spring.

nope. The only "difficult" part is trailering it or throwing it in a pickup to get it to your place of safety. Good luck!

If you put insurance on it you can probably get a temporary plate sticker to get the safety. At least that's what I did last time I bought a vehicle without a safety.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I actually finally got a reasonable insurance quote so I bought a Suzuki gz250, had to lug it home in the back of the truck. Only problem now is that i got bored of the power of my bike within about a week or so. It barely gets my fat self up to 100km/h lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I actually finally got a reasonable insurance quote so I bought a Suzuki gz250, had to lug it home in the back of the truck. Only problem now is that i got bored of the power of my bike within about a week or so. It barely gets my fat self up to 100km/h lol.

I don't usually say this to new riders, but its time to upgrade... To a bike where you can at least have a bit of passing power and not get run over on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom