poll: best used racer w similar upgrades - cbr250 or ninja 250 | GTAMotorcycle.com

poll: best used racer w similar upgrades - cbr250 or ninja 250

best race tool, used cbr250 or used ninja 250?

• used cbr250 w pipe/ aftermarket fork springs

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • used ninja 250 w pipe/ aftermarket fork springs

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I raced a ninja 250 with an aprilia stock shock and after market pipe on it and it was fantastic. Not sure if anything got done on the forks but suspension wasn't an issue at all at Shannonville or Grand Bend, the bike did well at Mosport as well but I didn't ride it there

[video=youtube;JbIVqYxHKhc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbIVqYxHKhc[/video]

Last edited:
I am part of a SOAR Endurance racing team. We got second overall in class last year and are leading this season in points on a Honda CBR250. We find the bike to be very reliable and fun to race. We have raced with 250 Ninjas and they seem to be no faster on the track than our CBR. It really is the rider being the most important variable. My advice is to buy the bike with the best set up as there are well built race CBRs and poorly built CBRs just like there are great race Ninja 250s and crashed/bent/bashed Ninja 250s. Spend a bit more for a well built bike, with some spares and hasn't had a major crash in it's history. parillaguy

I am part of a SOAR Endurance racing team. We got second overall in class last year and are leading this season in points on a Honda CBR250. We find the bike to be very reliable and fun to race. We have raced with 250 Ninjas and they seem to be no faster on the track than our CBR. It really is the rider being the most important variable. My advice is to buy the bike with the best set up as there are well built race CBRs and poorly built CBRs just like there are great race Ninja 250s and crashed/bent/bashed Ninja 250s. Spend a bit more for a well built bike, with some spares and hasn't had a major crash in it's history. parillaguy

thx for the feedback paguy. i have sat upon the ninja 250 and was surprised how well it fit my 6'1" body. i have never tried a cbr250 - are the sizing/ergos going to fit my body? i know i know, i will look too big on these bikes but i don't care! im a slim 190 lbs. thoughts?

Last edited:
thx for the feedback paguy. i have sat upon the ninja 250 and was surprised how well it fit my 6'1" body. i have never tried a cbr250 - are the sizing/ergos going to fit my body? i know i know, i will look too big on these bikes but i don't care! im a slim 190 lbs. thoughts?

The Ninja will have a pull from the CBR on a straight. The CBR will out brake and corner better than the Ninja.

With the CBR @ 6'1" and 190 lbs you will need to ensure the front forks have stiffer springs and an upgraded rear shock. Elka was the one that was used for CSBK so most existing CBRs have it. Not much travel on it.

As well since CSBK used the Akrapovic most CBR will have it. The stainless option is cheaper and of course more durable (and actually gives you a small % gain in hp and torque). I wouldn't worry if the CBR doesn't have a fuel controller as it really doesn't add much. You get a better gain by swapping OEM header to the Akra header and a different air filter.

I'm 6'3" @ 200 lbs and I look big on the CBR but I still ride them.

Box stock Ninja 250 with 2 year old tires that came on the bike, 2:38 inj yellow group at Bogie. Top speed of 173 KPH in stock trim. Track Body work only. Find the CBR great off the corner but runs out of steam very fast. The engine brake is much greater then the Ninja. Neither bike has a problem braking and at speed are used mostly for just setting the bike into the corner. Think the Ninja has a bit more longevity for a rider in that it can give you more and increase your time on the bike. The CBR runs out of steam.
I would take the Ninja in a heart beat.

thanks everyone for your input. going to look at an 87 ninja w 20k on it. $800. yeh its got the 16" on front - oh well, make due w old school tires if the bike runs good. yeh im a cheap b*stard ... and dont need to be too competitive....lol

08 and up are in the used sv650 price range!

Back
Top Bottom