Made in Japan vs made in China | GTAMotorcycle.com

Made in Japan vs made in China

ashkan

Banned
Dont cheap out on your gear!
[video=youtube;W3b2fRieV80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3b2fRieV80[/video]

It didnt prove anything, except these guys had some knock off helmet vs a reputable company

I have no problem buying Chinese made products if there is a reputable western company backing up their product.

I work in manufacturing, the chineese have come a long way. Its all about quality control. Mind you there is more garbage out there than ever coming from china in terms of knock offs and such,but that doesnt mean you should hesitate to buy a Chinese made product if it comes from a reputable company. There arent many big companies left who dont have a Chinese plant making their products these days.

I cant speak for helmets, but if bell or arai or shoei made helmets in china for cheaper than a korean made or wherever, Id buy it. Id trust the company has their quality control standard up to par and is saving labour costs to give you the same quality product.

I do agree a helmet should not be a budget investment. you dont have to spend a fortune to get something that will save your melon.

Last edited:
Well it was pretty clear to me that while they didnt have lab coats and a fancy instruments, the same level of impact broke apart the Chinese helmet while the Japanese helmet held up much better.

Now you can say that ho wo dyou know if thats really a chinese helmet vs a Japanese one. Thats fair, i dont but im willing to pay extra and buy (specially a helmet) from a reputable company like AGV, Shoei.... than one from alibaba.

One good point that was mentioned by Rob Star though is that if a Canadian/American/European or any reputable company actually puts that helmet through the same tests and give it a passing grade, then ill trust it. But for example a DOT cant be just a sticket printed in the same chinese factory and slapped on. Kinda hard to verify who is approving those helmets in no name Chinese factories

What did that prove exactly ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
An expensive helmet is better than a cheap helmet
It didnt prove anything, except these guys had some knock off helmet vs a reputable company

I have no problem buying Chinese made products if there is a reputable western company backing up their product.

I work in manufacturing, the chineese have come a long way. Its all about quality control. Mind you there is more garbage out there than ever coming from china in terms of knock offs and such,but that doesnt mean you should hesitate to buy a Chinese made product if it comes from a reputable company. There arent many big companies left who dont have a Chinese plant making their products these days.

I cant speak for helmets, but if bell or arai or shoei made helmets in china for cheaper than a korean made or wherever, Id buy it. Id trust the company has their quality control standard up to par and is saving labour costs to give you the same quality product.

I do agree a helmet should not be a budget investment. you dont have to spend a fortune to get something that will save your melon.
Truer words have never been spoken. Alot of consumer products are made in China these days. I would really need to try hard to avoid something made in China

Those tests showed nothing about the protection level the helmet that broke apart may have actually provided better protection.

sent from a device using a program

Well it was pretty clear to me that while they didnt have lab coats and a fancy instruments, the same level of impact broke apart the Chinese helmet while the Japanese helmet held up much better.

Now you can say that ho wo dyou know if thats really a chinese helmet vs a Japanese one. Thats fair, i dont but im willing to pay extra and buy (specially a helmet) from a reputable company like AGV, Shoei.... than one from alibaba.

One good point that was mentioned by Rob Star though is that if a Canadian/American/European or any reputable company actually puts that helmet through the same tests and give it a passing grade, then ill trust it. But for example a DOT cant be just a sticket printed in the same chinese factory and slapped on. Kinda hard to verify who is approving those helmets in no name Chinese factories

I totally agree, however my point is, Just because its made in china, doesn't mean its sh*t these days.

Being able to tell a knock off from an original is also getting harder to do. But Im sure buying a brand called "fasthelmetracer" would be a red flag to someone with half a brain that the helmet is garbage ;)

I totally agree, however my point is, Just because its made in china, doesn't mean its sh*t these days.

Being able to tell a knock off from an original is also getting harder to do. But Im sure buying a brand called "fasthelmetracer" would be a red flag to someone with half a brain that the helmet is garbage ;)

Agreed. i posetd that because a while back i was on alibaba and i saw thousands of random no name helmets that looked pretty badass and super cheap. Obviously i didnt buy one but i can imagine how many people can end up buying them, thinking theyre protected while who know if there was any real testing done.

But yeah, some of th ebest products are made in China like the iPhone. But the company name matters because the design and engineering is done elsewhere and then you have the quality control of that company like Apple..

Agreed. i posetd that because a while back i was on alibaba and i saw thousands of random no name helmets that looked pretty badass and super cheap. Obviously i didnt buy one but i can imagine how many people can end up buying them, thinking theyre protected while who know if there was any real testing done.

But yeah, some of th ebest products are made in China like the iPhone. But the company name matters because the design and engineering is done elsewhere and then you have the quality control of that company like Apple..

One would argue that the iphone is one of the best manufactured products in the world. They make millions of them! Like apple or not they got it setup proper over there :)

SPEAKING of helmets, I've been keeping my eye out for a new lid. Im a sucker for carbon fiber.

LS2 is a reputable company. I found this on Aliexpress.

Its not a HUGE savings when you compare it to other sites selling it but its cheaper none the less. Its missing the DOT sticker which leads me to beleive its either a knock off or its the same helmet we can buy here that they are selling directly from china without getting the north american aproval.

thoughts?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...et-band-airbag-edition/425491_1338528395.html

It has the ECE which is good for Canada and Europe as long as it isn't a knock off it is good.

It has the ECE which is good for Canada and Europe as long as it isn't a knock off it is good.
Thanks dude. :)

Also wanted to add, you guys should see my leafs jersey that my friend picked up for me in china.

I compared it to my other friends jersey that he paid over 400 dollars for at the ACC.

EXACT REPLICA. It even says made in Canada on it!! None of us could spot anything that would make one authentic or fake.

He got it for 20 bux :D

Last edited:
Like Scuba mentioned, if its not a fake ECE, then youre fine. But i personally would never buy a helmet from aliexpress. Boots, gloves maybe but not helmets. Thats just my$ 0.02

There is a video showing counterfeit Alpinestars gloves bought off Aliexpress. Crappy construction compared to the real deal but they still seemed decent enough.

Found it, it's by Bikebandit. They literally dissected both the real and fake ones:

[video=youtube;DftIJD3BdPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DftIJD3BdPg[/video]

Seen some fake alpinestars locally on Kijiji before. Easiest way to tell right away is check for kevlar(yellow fabric) inside the gloves.

Saw some for less then half price and figured something fishy so stayed away. Glad I did after that vid.

Seen some fake alpinestars locally on Kijiji before. Easiest way to tell right away is check for kevlar(yellow fabric) inside the gloves.
Do no yellow is fake?

Back
Top Bottom