Registering under your name without insurance? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Registering under your name without insurance?

I unerstood what he said and thats why i said nada....

They dont have access to validate crap. And i proved it ... I did it in May. I got valid insurance, didnt bother with the " temporary slip" .

There is communication and policy verification between MTO and the insurance companies now. See https://www.cooperators.ca/en/Insurance/auto/special-programs-landing/uninsured-vehicles.aspx

They are also working on making the policy checking work in real-time with direct link-ups between insurance company and government computers. When that is in place, the clerk at Service Ontario will be able to verify at the keyboard.

I unerstood what he said and thats why i said nada....

They dont have access to validate crap. And i proved it ... I did it in May. I got valid insurance, didnt bother with the " temporary slip" .

Wtf are you talking about? So you had insurance and got a plate when registering your vehicle? No ****. That's how it works. Next time don't bother getting insurance and try to do it.

You obviously have no idea what I meant.

Ok I will give the OP the MOST accurate info which will alleviate his PRIMARY concern, (which is the bike being stolen). You can call whatever insurer your going with, (I assume you have already called around and got quotes). Call them explain that you will be putting the bike on the road AFTER you complete your m2 test and get the bike saftied etc. Therefore, you wish to start the policy now, for theft, and fire.

They will issue you a policy, BUT the only insurance you will have at this point is THEFT and fire. Which means you can register the bike in your name and still rest easy that if the bike is stolen in the mean time you will be insured for theft.

Although not sure why you would wait the two weeks, there will be NO big decrease in the premium if you insured it fully today as opposed to waiting till you have your M2 in two weeks. The amount your going to be paying for those two weeks will literally be less than $50 (if yur premium is REALLY REALLY high),...lol

There is communication and policy verification between MTO and the insurance companies now. See https://www.cooperators.ca/en/Insurance/auto/special-programs-landing/uninsured-vehicles.aspx

They are also working on making the policy checking work in real-time with direct link-ups between insurance company and government computers. When that is in place, the clerk at Service Ontario will be able to verify at the keyboard.

So you just confirm my post then? They dont validate crap ? Because you know..... "When" isnt now

Wtf are you talking about? So you had insurance and got a plate when registering your vehicle? No ****. That's how it works. Next time don't bother getting insurance and try to do it.

You obviously have no idea what I meant.

You said they will validate the policy number.... Which i said no.... Dont spread BS because i know for the fact they just wrote down my policy number on the damn registration form then gave me a plate. Thats not validation.

And i told you i did it in May. You on the other hand only hearsay....

Ok I will give the OP the MOST accurate info which will alleviate his PRIMARY concern, (which is the bike being stolen). You can call whatever insurer your going with, (I assume you have already called around and got quotes). Call them explain that you will be putting the bike on the road AFTER you complete your m2 test and get the bike saftied etc. Therefore, you wish to start the policy now, for theft, and fire.

They will issue you a policy, BUT the only insurance you will have at this point is THEFT and fire. Which means you can register the bike in your name and still rest easy that if the bike is stolen in the mean time you will be insured for theft.

Although not sure why you would wait the two weeks, there will be NO big decrease in the premium if you insured it fully today as opposed to waiting till you have your M2 in two weeks. The amount your going to be paying for those two weeks will literally be less than $50 (if yur premium is REALLY REALLY high),...lol
Some insurance companies wont take M1 license...only statefarm does afaik

So you just confirm my post then? They dont validate crap ? Because you know..... "When" isnt now

The Ministry knows when I have cancelled my insurance on my summer car. There is a degree of communication between MTO and the insurance companies.

The Ministry knows when I have cancelled my insurance on my summer car. There is a degree of communication between MTO and the insurance companies.

Thats irrelevant to whats being discussed here. Your insurance company notified the mto its a common practice. At the point of registration there is no communications between your insurance company and mto.

Also temporary slip meaning your policy is awaiting underwriter to confirm. So technically it wont show up on the database that the industry share

No problem registering the bike without insurance.

You can even get comprehensive coverage while the bike is parked for a couple of weeks.

Just call a brokerage and they will help you with making sure you have the right coverage, best cost effective approach before you start riding on the street.

It's not really expensive or complicated. But doing it wrong can end up costing you more.

It's not like you need to pull a fast one over the mto.

You can get coverage for a vehicle to get it tempory sticker and get a safety etc.

Don't make stuff up. You don't need too. Your not saving anything.

Last edited:
Thats irrelevant to whats being discussed here. Your insurance company notified the mto its a common practice. At the point of registration there is no communications between your insurance company and mto.

Also temporary slip meaning your policy is awaiting underwriter to confirm. So technically it wont show up on the database that the industry share

It's very relevant to what is being suggested by some here. The policy number you put down on the registration form at the MTO, whether a valid policy number or not, will be placed into the MTO's system. At some given point in time, that policy number will be automatically verified with the relevant insurance company. An invalid insurance policy number will flagged as being such.

Advising people to put down a false policy number on a form when doing so is an offence punishable by law is poor advice.

It's very relevant to what is being suggested by some here. The policy number you put down on the registration form at the MTO, whether a valid policy number or not, will be placed into the MTO's system. At some given point in time, that policy number will be automatically verified with the relevant insurance company. An invalid insurance policy number will flagged as being such.

Advising people to put down a false policy number on a form when doing so is an offence punishable by law is poor advice.

Yeah at some point but not at registration. Why are you even arguing? Lol

Note that i never advise anyone to give false info for registration. Read my post again if you bother to argue with me.

I call bs info spilled out by other member. Sure it would be nice if noone is lying but as of right now the system allow it. Simple enough?

Yeah at some point but not at registration. Why are you even arguing? Lol

Note that i never advise anyone to give false info for registration. Read my post again if you bother to argue with me.

I call bs info spilled out by other member. Sure it would be nice if noone is lying but as of right now the system allow it. Simple enough?

The system also allows for murder if you can get away with it. Is that valid reason to do so?

The system also allows for murder if you can get away with it. Is that valid reason to do so?

Lol you missed the point completely. Its like arguing with ppl who say..... Dont masturbate because you will go blind.

Im pointing out a simple bs, morally right or wrong isnt the point.

Get it ?

Lol you missed the point completely. Its like arguing with ppl who say..... Dont masturbate because you will go blind.

Im pointing out a simple bs, morally right or wrong isnt the point.

Get it ?

Get this. If you stay between the lines you don't need to worry about going off the road and experiencing bad outcomes. The MTO registration form is a legal document. There are potential legal penalties for making a false statement on it. The Ministry has means of discovering if you put down BS on those forms. There is nothing BS about pointing that out.

You have to admit it's a weird system though. You give them a "policy number", which in most cases is going to be a file number issued by a broker in expectation that you will be issued a long term policy in the near future. Once you have a real policy number, you're not obligated to update that with the Ministry of Transportation, nor is it even really possible. Same thing if you change insurance providers.

So I went to Service Ontario today to confirm with the guy, I can register the bike under my name but can not ride it until has been fully registered with insurance. That was my question, but thanks everyone for answering!

Let me know who won. :)

You said they will validate the policy number.... Which i said no.... Dont spread BS because i know for the fact they just wrote down my policy number on the damn registration form then gave me a plate. Thats not validation.

And i told you i did it in May. You on the other hand only hearsay....

I was turned away last year because they couldn't verify my insurance in their computer. I don't think that's hearsay. My apologies.

Last edited:
I was turned away last year because they couldn't verify my insurance in their computer. I don't think that's hearsay. My apologies.

For a motorcycle or motor vehicle?

There is some linked or shared information between the insurance companies and service Ontario. It's generally for cages and motorcycles appear to fly under the radar. Much in the same way as claimed purchase value and calculating tax. If you tell them you only paid $100, you'll only pay tax on $100.

They don't seem to bat an eye. And if they do, I'd just tell them I bought it wrecked and restored it.

Can't do that with a cage. They make you pay tax on blue book value even if you paid less.

Back
Top Bottom