Registering under your name without insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Registering under your name without insurance?

Ridin2TheGym

Hey guys, purchasing my first bike tomorrow (first vehicle for that matter). I am buying a used one on kijiji and wondering if I will be able to register the bike under my name without insurance? The reason I ask is because I won't be able to purchase insurance after I get my m2 in 2 weeks.

I don't want my bike to be sitting in my parking garage without my name attached to it in case it gets stolen. Thanks

Lock it up.
You need insurance to register with MTO. Ownership is in your name, but it'll be unregistered.
Mine sat for 2 weeks before I could register it.

Yes. The MTO will give you an ownership that states unfit vehicle, but at least it's in your name. Use the insurance policy number of your car for the transfer. Just write the policy number on a piece of paper, you don't require proof.. Ask for a ten day plate / sticker to get around to a garage to get the bike certified. All your insurance co needs is the VIN # and what kind of coverage you want. Get it certified, return to MTO with both copies of the certification slip and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
You can register it, but you can't plate it.

Here's how it works - if everything goes perfectly for you (doable, I have done this myself), you present the signed ownership, a bill of sale, the UVIP, a safety certificate, and proof of insurance to a Service Ontario née MTO clerk. They give you a new ownership, plates, and a sticker, and you're done. Second best case is all of the above, but no safety AND the previous owner still has it registered as "fit" (has not turned in the plates or registered the plates to another vehicle). You won't get a normal sticker, but a temporary sticker that is just a big letter "T". This lets you ride it to a shop to get it safetied.

If you don't have insurance yet for whatever reason, you CAN register it, but you won't be able to plate it. Furthermore, this effectively voids any chance of getting a temporary sticker later, because registering it unplated will register it as "unfit". You will need to get a safety certificate BEFORE being able to get plates in this situation, and you will have to have it transported to a shop to get this done.

You can just write down whatever you want on the form, they don't ask to see the pink slip. Just write State Farm and 12345 for the policy#, that's what I do every time.

You can register it, but you can't plate it.

Here's how it works - if everything goes perfectly for you (doable, I have done this myself), you present the signed ownership, a bill of sale, the UVIP, a safety certificate, and proof of insurance to a Service Ontario née MTO clerk. They give you a new ownership, plates, and a sticker, and you're done. Second best case is all of the above, but no safety AND the previous owner still has it registered as "fit" (has not turned in the plates or registered the plates to another vehicle). You won't get a normal sticker, but a temporary sticker that is just a big letter "T". This lets you ride it to a shop to get it safetied.

If you don't have insurance yet for whatever reason, you CAN register it, but you won't be able to plate it. Furthermore, this effectively voids any chance of getting a temporary sticker later, because registering it unplated will register it as "unfit". You will need to get a safety certificate BEFORE being able to get plates in this situation, and you will have to have it transported to a shop to get this done.

This .

you can take ownership but cant plate it.
safety is another issue to deal with later.

BTW, yes you can get insurance with a M1.

Insurance needs to be in the system. No more writing down whatever you want.

Nevermind the fact that presenting false insurance information to the ministry is illegal.
99.99999% of the time they do not validate, but why take the chance.
Just park it for 2wks, lock it up, cover it, get proper insurance and then go register it.

Another funny post, it cant be in the system if it was never registered under his name.... Aka his ownership.

I got many bikes and my most recent one got registered in May this year. Stop misleading ****....god damn it

Another funny post, it cant be in the system if it was never registered under his name.... Aka his ownership.

I got many bikes and my most recent one got registered in May this year. Stop misleading ****....god damn it

I don't think you understand what he's saying. You used to be able to get a plate by given them any bunch of numbers that sound like a policy number (legit or not). Now they have access to check if its legit before they give you the plate.

And you don't need it to be registered before getting insurance

I don't think you understand what he's saying. You used to be able to get a plate by given them any bunch of numbers that sound like a policy number (legit or not). Now they have access to check if its legit before they give you the plate.

And you don't need it to be registered before getting insurance

I unerstood what he said and thats why i said nada....

They dont have access to validate crap. And i proved it ... I did it in May. I got valid insurance, didnt bother with the " temporary slip" .

Of course you can get ins. with just the ownership that's how **** works...

OP is asking about registering it in his name while he waits 2wks until he gets his M2 to obtain insurance.

People are advising to register a fake ins. number with the ministry to transfer ownership and get a plate / sticker which is illegal.

That's right. I cancel the insurance on one of my cars every fall when I put the car in my garage for the winter. I get a form letter from the Ministry without fail a couple of months later advising me that they are aware that there is no longer insurance on the car, that driving without insurance is a serious offence, and that I will not be able to renew my sticker with insurance.

They will verify the insurance coverage afterwards. I get letters from the Ministry when I cancel my summer car insurance every fall.

Back
Top Bottom