Recommend me back turn lights | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommend me back turn lights

ive got a tripage integrated undertail like on mine. i added 2 other leds on the side of the plate frame but honestly no one looks at bike signals.
ill be removing the extra set of signals for next season....although i have a urge to make it into a track bike.

I'm not rich either.

This thread reminds me of an old man yelling.
2767638386_d8efc6fb1f.jpg

Aftermarket signals are as old as bikes. Almost a right of passage, though many options have left much to be desired for many years. That is changing. And there are lots of other good signal options in addition to those mentioned. Proton and watsen are well known high visibility options, (but without the separation of stalk signals). And taking two seconds at Yamaha shows their perfectly reasonable LED signal light accessories options for the R3 (posted earlier).

Hey vet. It's easy to find a clean and uncut stock undertray for the RC51.

As a new rider I highly recommend you go with the black or smoked, then NO ONE can see what you planning to do. Does this really sound logical to you? As someone just said they are BEGINNING to make better options but you have to be willing to spend the dollars to get something that will still make you visible.

Same with gear the brighter the better. We all used to wear black leathers, but have now started to wear the hiviz, (well unless you ride a harley or a goldwing, in which case it is all black, for the harleys, or nothing for the goldwings..LOL).

But if you g=buy something off fleabay for $12 your going to be trying to jury rig a setup or become invisible...

It isn't, (or shouldnt be), about "fashion and looks" it IS about safety

This thread reminds me of an old man yelling.

Aftermarket signals are as old as bikes. Almost a right of passage, though many options have left much to be desired for many years. That is changing. And there are lots of other good signal options in addition to those mentioned. Proton and watsen are well known high visibility options, (but without the separation of stalk signals). And taking two seconds at Yamaha shows their perfectly reasonable LED signal light accessories options for the R3 (posted earlier).

Hey vet. It's easy to find a clean and uncut stock undertray for the RC51.

i remember when I knew everything and was a smartass to people too. It's a right of passage. People are answering the original question using their own experience, is there something wrong with that?

I've had Rizoma Zero 11 on my current bike for years and I find them bright enough.

I've had Rizoma Zero 11 on my current bike for years and I find them bright enough.

^same, although expensive and extremely bright (blinding if you stare at them too long.) Worth every penny if your looking for a stock alternative.

People do this because they feel like they need to make the bike their own, it's cheap, and pretty easy to do.
No one is going to stop people from doing this. It's like paying $600 for a slipon and justifying it with a +/-0.5hp increase, or LPSL.
At some point in the life of a sports bike, this will happen, look at ~10 year old bikes and it's rare to see one that hasn't been festooned with eBay crap. I'm in the middle of restoring a bike to stock and it's a PITA to get all the stock parts back once the Dremel has been applied.

At least we got out of the flush-mount LED era, those things were PFU.

Personally, I'm aware of too many left-turn SMIDSY incidents and would prefer the stock wide locations and the wider diffused light from incad bulbs and lenses. Those ultra-bright LEDs are technically brighter, but they are focused on a smaller area and still not as good as proper signals spread apart a proper distance (there is science to that distance).

I'd advise a rider to spend the time and money on stuff that makes the bike better, like better rubber, pads, lines, springs and ergonomics. But you really don't see any of that when you are done.

Doesn't it get a bit messy if you have a fender eliminator and ride in the rain? Brown-stripe-down-the-back messy?

Doesn't it get a bit messy if you have a fender eliminator and ride in the rain? Brown-stripe-down-the-back messy?

Great excuse to get a colour matching hugger. It cuts down on the splash effect somewhat. But the trendy short tail sections will see you exposed regardless.

i remember when I knew everything and was a smartass to people too.
And that hasn't changed, based on your posts and info here ;)

Stock is the best for the rear. Do you not want the cars behind to see you?
I've had a lot of aftermarket signals and even the best ones suck compared to stock....
Your language is a black and white declaration and blanket statement. It completely dismisses and discounts anything non-stock as well as everyone else's post here with non-stock suggestions. Rather presumptuous I'd say.

People are answering the original question using their own experience, is there something wrong with that?
Pot, kettle, black. I never said there was anything wrong with it. I provided a characterization of some of the conversation based upon cultural experience, and then provided some actual specific answers that work very well and achieve the OPs intent of changing signal lights. That's all. The characterization has zero bearing on the advice, what is right or wrong, better/worse, etc, it was just a cultural characterization and reference. Though with your subsequent reply the characterization may now have additional parallels to you. ;)

Last edited:
I used these Penny marker lights on a café/scrambler style bike I am building. They are $7.99 each at Princess Auto, any color. They are used on semi trucks as markers and are designed so they can be seen from the side - very important if you want to stay legal. You can submerge these things in water and they keep working and they are very bright.

Stock is generally better. There are some bikes (600RR comes to mind) where I've seen aftermarket signals built in with the brake light and makes an animation for which direction; really neat and clear when leading group rides.

On the flip side, I've ridden with others who had to user hand signals cause we couldn't see his blinkers lol

Here's the laws... I can't see anything that actually requires turn signals, and these laws are not really enforced on cars.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2). [h=3]Idem[/h] (3) When on a highway at any time every motorcycle with a side car shall carry a lighted lamp in a conspicuous position on each side of the front of the vehicle which lamps shall display a white or amber light only and a lighted lamp on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (3).

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK120

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

^same, although expensive and extremely bright (blinding if you stare at them too long.) Worth every penny if your looking for a stock alternative.

So that's what these are. Can they be dimmed in any way? I've encountered something like that downtown and they're stupid bright.

Back
Top Bottom