Places to check damaged helmets in GTA? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Places to check damaged helmets in GTA?

Hey everyone,

About a month or so ago I was doing some good ol urban offroading and ended up low siding going up a grass hill at about 15-20 km/h.

I slid down the hill a little and due to the steepness, as I was sliding I bumped my head once or twice (pretty gently) against the grass. No damage to bike or the helmet at all (on the outside). I wasn't injured in the slightest.

People say you should replace to helmet even after small crashes, but I don't know if that lil bump actually made a difference.

I want to check for damage but I don't want to send the helmet off to Joe Rocket (manufacturer) as my bike is my daily commuter right now.

Are there any places here in the GTA that would be able to x-ray and tell me if I actually need to get a new one? Or thoughts/opinions on this matter (please no "How much is your head worth")

I want to check for damage but I don't want to send the helmet off to Joe Rocket (manufacturer) as my bike is my daily commuter right now.
I sent my helmet to Arai for an xray, couldn't believe how deformed it was after a tiny bump! Can you remove the liner and inspect the energy absorbing interior for deformation?

Yeah I actually pulled back the liner and had a look.

There were a few tiny little cracks that I noticed but they were fairly spread out, helmet is also about 2 years old so I didn't know if they were from old age or the crash.

I don't know what it looked like before the crash so I don't really know how to compare :/

I sent my helmet to Arai for an xray, couldn't believe how deformed it was after a tiny bump! Can you remove the liner and inspect the energy absorbing interior for deformation?

they actually sent pictures?

they actually sent pictures?
Yep! I was cleaning out my junk room the other day and saw them, if I didn't throw em out I'll scan em and post em up! They were super neat, it showed different colours where the stuff is compressed (like it had a density photo sensor). From my little bump the foam type material on the inside was compressed right to the outer shell edge. Another fall the same way and my head would have had zero protection.

Yep! I was cleaning out my junk room the other day and saw them, if I didn't throw em out I'll scan em and post em up! They were super neat, it showed different colours where the stuff is compressed (like it had a density photo sensor). From my little bump the foam type material on the inside was compressed right to the outer shell edge. Another fall the same way and my head would have had zero protection.

Darn, not what I was hoping to hear haha. How big of a risk do you think I'm taking if I continue to use the helmet for another month or so. I don't really go on roads over 60 km/h and I like to think I ride pretty cautiously.

Darn, not what I was hoping to hear haha. How big of a risk do you think I'm taking if I continue to use the helmet for another month or so. I don't really go on roads over 60 km/h and I like to think I ride pretty cautiously.
My "accident" was at 15 km/h so I think if you're travelling at 60 km/h you need all the protection you can get!

I'm not sure where you're located but if budget is a problem and you want some cheap/nice helmets check out Re-Gear in Oshawa! http://www.re-gear.ca/oshawa/index.html

My friend just bought a super nice "LS2" helmet from them for $80: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...s-in-various-styles-re-gear-oshawa/1082789092

My "accident" was at 15 km/h so I think if you're travelling at 60 km/h you need all the protection you can get!

I'm not sure where you're located but if budget is a problem and you want some cheap/nice helmets check out Re-Gear in Oshawa! http://www.re-gear.ca/oshawa/index.html

My friend just bought a super nice "LS2" helmet from them for $80: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...s-in-various-styles-re-gear-oshawa/1082789092
I'm over in north York, was thinking about going to cycle world superstore in Scarborough when it stops raining, how are the prices there or any other places that you would recommend that aren't in Oshawa or Whitby

I'm over in north York, was thinking about going to cycle world superstore in Scarborough when it stops raining, how are the prices there or any other places that you would recommend that aren't in Oshawa or Whitby
Not sure, if anything Cycle World is a good place to try on different brands of helmets and see what sizes and shapes fit your noodle. Write down prices/models in your phone so you can compare apples to apples with other stores.

Last edited:
Is the money really worth it? I personally wouldn't risk it. What if the next slide is 50-100 km. You really wanna have a helmet that might be ok. Spend the money. You only got one head.

Yeah I actually pulled back the liner and had a look.

There were a few tiny little cracks that I noticed but they were fairly spread out, helmet is also about 2 years old so I didn't know if they were from old age or the crash.

I don't know what it looked like before the crash so I don't really know how to compare :/

will try this again....forgot to add the o.p. post.
if you see cracks in the shell then its time to toss the helmet

Back
Top Bottom