Leg out before knee down, why ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leg out before knee down, why ?

cool

Banned
Can someone explain why the pro racers do this? Not all of them but many...

Some of them say its for balance. Some say its about head games. Some say its to help feel how the bike is moving around under braking.

I heard it was to help stop any rotational force on the bike keeping it straighter. Also for balance. And also as mentioned because they saw Rossi do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to do an emergency slowdown once as I was getting on a ramp and my body did something very similar. So in retrospect I think lowering the center of gravity helps delay stoppie allowing to brake harder and also keep the bike as upright as long as possible as you begin to turn.

Do you mean under hard braking?? or do you mean setting yourself up before the corner?? Under hard braking it gives a sense of stability similar in supermoto.. Setting yourself up before a turn is to minimize any adjustments while in the corner .. Set up your body before the turn so during the turn your settled and not upsetting the bikes suspension at high lean angles

Tried it once just for lolz. Felt weird as hell.
I'll give it a try next track day :)

When under hard braking and my rear starts to lift I get a bit of side to side motion on the bike. Is this a setup/geometery problem? Would the leg out help stabilize the bike? It freaks me out and stops me from trying to brake that hard.

Last edited:
I'll give it a try next track day :)

When under hard braking and my rear starts to lift I get a bit of side to side motion on the bike. Is this a setup/geometery problem? Would the leg out help stabilize the bike? It freaks me out and stops me from trying to brake that hard.
Sounds pretty normal. No weight on the rear, it happens.

There is the reverse style whereby you dangle your outside leg like Taylor Knapp and Tito Rabat.
suzuki_superbike_doubleheader_25.jpg

I've done that a few times non intentionally and it seemed ok. I don't really see the advantage to doing it though.

Easier to get the farts out.

MotoGP riders who tried this claim it doesn't actually make any difference in lap times.

It's Rossi's style, perhaps a way to help him shift his weight centre of gravity, perhaps help slow down with air drag, perhaps a way to make himself wider to give less room (real or perceived) to a rider behind. Now in all track racing, some do it, some don't.

MotoGP riders who tried this claim it doesn't actually make any difference in lap times.

It's Rossi's style, perhaps a way to help him shift his weight centre of gravity, perhaps help slow down with air drag, perhaps a way to make himself wider to give less room (real or perceived) to a rider behind. Now in all track racing, some do it, some don't.

Did he start doing this after he broke his leg a few years back?

Before
Did he start doing this after he broke his leg a few years back?

"A quick survey of paddock opinion says that the first time that anyone - including long-time veterans - remembers seeing that now legendary leg wave was at Jerez in 2005, in the last-gasp, last-corner move in which Rossi jammed his Yamaha M1 up the inside of Sete Gibernau's Gresini Honda, barely in control, and Gibernau tried to close the door too late. That move ended up defining the 2005 World Championship, and put Rossi at a psychological advantage over title rival Gibernau which saw him clinch the title with relative ease by the end of the season."

https://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/07/22/the_truth_behind_the_rossi_leg_wave.html

Last edited:
I'm going to say it has somthing to do with the amount of flat track they do for practice, it becomes a habit and they feel more in control with their leg out while sliding the bike.

Back
Top Bottom