Leg out before knee down, why ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leg out before knee down, why ?

In a recent WSBK press conference somebody asked the riders why they stick their leg out. Tom Sykes said "I don't do that so you'll have to ask the other guys" and without missing a beat Johnny Rea said "Maybe that's why you're not winning.". haha...

And then Sykes got the double at Donnington without a single leg dangle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am with soto on this one.
Adds weight to the front end, increasing braking traction available without putting the weight over the nose which would only increase the tendency to stoppie.

did u see Rossi's save a couple of weeks ago when the rear started sliding out, he lifted his outside leg to shift weight up to bring the bike up enough to regain full control....man what a pro

Rossi has bad knees and is just stretching his legs....lol wouldn't it be funny when he retires if this was said.

I'm going to say it has somthing to do with the amount of flat track they do for practice, it becomes a habit and they feel more in control with their leg out while sliding the bike.

Coming from a Moto-Cross background, I used to do this alot under hard braking, and was told its stupid/ dangerous.

Coming from a Moto-Cross background, I used to do this alot under hard braking, and was told its stupid/ dangerous.

Unless you are a pro, and even then, it's dangerous. When your foot gets enough traction with the pavement, the grip can twist your foot around. Good description in the Dr. Hines vid.

It's like the waggle before the swing in golf.

I'm going to say it has somthing to do with the amount of flat track they do for practice, it becomes a habit and they feel more in control with their leg out while sliding the bike.

but that's with a big steel shoe on.

If you actually put weight down on a foot at high speed on pavement, it will snap your foot around and likely break the knee -this is how amputations happen.

If you actually put weight down on a foot at high speed on pavement, it will snap your foot around and likely break the knee -this is how amputations happen.

Perhaps you should let the fastest riders in the world in on your oh so great logic.

They don't push down and weight their foot and I'm yet to see a MGP rider have his leg amputated from dangling his leg :/.

It becomes a reaction and that's how they ride. I ride with a finger on the clutch and brake lever at all times because you need to riding MX and that's where I started and what's comfortable.

It isn't necessary and when you see a guy at a track day dangling his leg it looks dumb, if that's what you want to do then go for it but you get used to keeping your feet on especially on our bumpy Canadian tracks.

If I saw a guy do it on the street I would pray to pull up beside him at a light so he could be heckled.

Back
Top Bottom