Short article about a motorcycle journey to the Arctic Circle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Short article about a motorcycle journey to the Arctic Circle

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Found this while browsing around today and thought some of you might like a read. Personally I'd love to do such a trip, but need to build on longer and longer trips...and of course find the TIME to do it! Maybe one day...

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2015/06/19/a-travellers-essay-running-with-the-sun.html

Anybody been on such an adventure? I think my first attempt would be James Bay Road. I believe a few members did this last year. I wonder how my CB500F would hold up...

Last edited:
Found this while browsing around today and thought some of you might like a read. Personally I'd love to do such a trip, but need to build on longer and longer trips...and of course find the TIME to do it! Maybe one day...

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2015/06/19/a-travellers-essay-running-with-the-sun.html

Anybody been on such an adventure? I think my first attempt would be James Bay Road. I believe a few members did this last year. I wonder how my CB500F would hold up...

Your CB500F should handle the James Bay run easily. It is almost 100% paved except for the last 15km or something to the shore. The only thing you'd have to watch out for is bottoming out on the frost heaves, especially if your bike is heavily loaded.

I'd love to do a run up there (Arctic Circle; I've been to the James Bay), but the shear distance from here makes for a major trip that I am not sure if I am willing to sacrifice the time and money needed to do it -- maybe fly the bike to and from Edmonton to reduce a lot of the time, miles, and wear and tear.

Last edited:

I will go with you. My Ruckus needs some adventures.

Lots of people have done it. A lot of people take the Dalton Highway in Alaska to the circle as well. There isn't a type or brand of motorcycle that hasn't been there so don't believe all the BS about how you can "only do it" on a dual purpose bike, or a BMW, or other such nonsense. Obviously the most comfortable bike should be your choice. You're well advised to have enduro tires for the gravel roads and a very large fuel tank (200+mpg, or 300km) and bring a gas can. There is a website that covers the trip in detail. I can't remember the name of it so do a search. I'm sure it would be a great adventure with the right preparation.

I will go with you. My Ruckus needs some adventures.

Well once I'm ready to go I will let you know. I know I want to do a run up to the James Bay just a matter of setting up a weekend and booking it up there. I think 4-5 days should be more than enough to do the entire run. Need to look up that thread.

As for the arctic circle...I've read of guys on 125/250cc bikes doing it so the major hurdle there is getting there and back. A month off would be required I figure. But that I've still got some time for.

Back
Top Bottom