CBR 600rr Running Hot on the Track | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR 600rr Running Hot on the Track

Douma

Site Supporter
Looking for a bit of help.
Last season racing, my 2005 CBR600rr never broke 100 degrees.
This season, Friday practice day was fine but in the Satuday and Sunday races it will creep up to 106.
I did the thermostat test and seems like its functioning properly - temp gets up to 85 or so, then drops to 80 when the thermostat opens then slowly increases to 106, fan kicks in, drops to 100 or so, etc.

I've since purchased a new thermostat but before installing I wanted to pick your brains and see if there is anything else to consider while I'm in there.

Thanks in advance!

During the endurance race the R1 temp was running a cool 82.

Is this at idle the temp? Most race bikes have the fans removed.

Ditto. Should get nowhere near 100 when actually moving on the track. When you drain the water does it look milky or have chunks in it? Someone had used "stop leak" in the radiator of my R1 and it always ran so damn hot, even at speed. Eventually all the "stop leak" dissolved and there were 6 holes in my rad pissing water out. Installed a new radiator and I couldn't believe how cool it ran after :)

I am wondering about the head gasket... Do a compression test and see if all pressures are about even and at spec.
Also make a note of the condition of the the spark plugs... If one is very different from the rest you may be on to something.

High RPM and high load can push exhaust gases into the coolant, preventing it from cooling the engine as it should.

Ditto. Should get nowhere near 100 when actually moving on the track. When you drain the water does it look milky or have chunks in it? Someone had used "stop leak" in the radiator of my R1 and it always ran so damn hot, even at speed. Eventually all the "stop leak" dissolved and there were 6 holes in my rad pissing water out. Installed a new radiator and I couldn't believe how cool it ran after :)

Water is as clean as when it went in (with MoCool obviously).
I'll check the plugs next. New ones went in before Round 1 so should be easy to see if there is a difference between one and the others.

It might be that the Honda has to run harder in order to keep up with those cool Yamahas.

Air in the coolant line? try burping it or doing a flush and refilling water wetter or engine ice.

What's your idle temp?
What's your moving/racing temp?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom