Looking for Tire Irons and wheel weights...in GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for Tire Irons and wheel weights...in GTA

Veej

I'm going to start changing my own tires from now on, I used to take off the tires and take them to the local shops to install, but paying over $50 bucks for install I'm getting tired ;)

I go through my rear tire in a year and half, as I commute 5 days a week over 60 KM plus the week-ends.

I've been doing all my maintenance on the bike except for taking the tire off the rim. So here's another skill I'm gonna add to my skill set.

So I'm lookng for good pair of Tire Irons in the GTA area, I checked CT and Princess A. online they don't have much selection or non at all. I also need wheel weights and valve remover.

Any one know where I get some in the GTA, I'm gonna call Royal D. they were just busy right now so thought I through this up on the board for now.

Just got off the phone with Royal, they have all the tools, so if anyone like me is looking out there head out to Royal D.!

Was about to suggest Royal. There's also a thread about wheel weights

Thanks!

Anybody used these before?
http://www.dynabeads.ca/

Truckers use those, and they do apparently work well. Some US states have switched to the beads because lead weights have been banned and tin weights don't have enough mass. You can't use them for racing rubber.
Having said all that, more often than not, the primary inbalance is from the rim, and if you just don't remove the weights, they often are still correct.
Problems start when people don't match the red dot on a new tire to the air valve locations.

How do you balance the tires yourself?
Put axle on 2 jackstands, heavier portion of wheel naturally gravitate to the ground. Put weights on lighter portion of wheel. Repeat process until a random spot gravitate to ground.
You'll need rim protectors as well.

Get it all at GP bikes, online.
You can improvise, cut old juice jugs or use scrap leather

Truckers use those, and they do apparently work well. Some US states have switched to the beads because lead weights have been banned and tin weights don't have enough mass. You can't use them for racing rubber.
Having said all that, more often than not, the primary inbalance is from the rim, and if you just don't remove the weights, they often are still correct.
Problems start when people don't match the red dot on a new tire to the air valve locations.
i always put the wheel without the tire on the balancing stand to find the heavy spot,mark it, and line the dot on the tire with that spot.Quite often the valve is not the heaviest spot on the wheel and I always, always use synthetic weights (accept on a new bike of course).

You'll need rim protectors as well.

Get it all at GP bikes, online.
I would get 3 tire irons as well. Soft sportbike tires are a piece of cake but some of the sport touring and touring tires can be pretty stiff , a third iron makes it much easier.

Good thread... Will you also need a decent air compressor to seat the bead? Or use the spray-starter-fluid trick?

I'm certain some guys who read GTAM will try the starter fluid trick. who needs eyebrows.

Don't underestimate the power of a raised eyebrow.

Veej, can you update this thread on how you get on with your tire changing?
cheers

I would get 3 tire irons as well. Soft sportbike tires are a piece of cake but some of the sport touring and touring tires can be pretty stiff , a third iron makes it much easier.

...and avoid the long car-type ones, they are really meant for steel rims and with enough force, you can really break an alloy rim.

Back
Top Bottom