How do I remove clutch basket '03 R6? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do I remove clutch basket '03 R6?

buck

Site Supporter
I've searched the interweb high and low.

How do you remove the clutch primary (basket) on an '03 R6?

I've got the clutch boss out (inner carrier), and can move the basket in and out on the shaft, but to a point. The backside of the basket has a gear with chain that is attached to oil pump. I need to get it off to inspect the springs on the back of it. I can't inspect them properly with a mirror.

The service manual shows you how to remove every bolt from the bike, except for the damn clutch primary (outer basket).

r6 basket.jpg

For what? There's no more nuts. The inner carrier is already out.

Your photo shows the nut still in place. It should just lift out- are the centre or outer splines damaged in any way ?

Middle nut?

motion pro clutch holding too, impact gun. just did a slipper clutch on my 03 this week. Have fun getting the cover back on!

nm read your post again. not sure about the outer part. carry on

I was hoping you'd know as I've noticed you have the same bike.

I see the outer baskets being sold on ebay, so I know they come out of the bike somehow :confused:... They have springs in the backside.

Your photo shows the nut still in place. It should just lift out- are the centre or outer splines damaged in any way ?

It should lift right out, but there's a gear on the back with a chain that attaches to the oil pump.

1999-YAMAHA-R6-CLUTCH-CLUTCH-BASKET-110979516283.jpg

What I'm assuming is you need to drop the pan, remove the oil pump and then chain off of the clutch primary, then it'll slide right off. I was just hoping there's a simpler way.

I was hoping you'd know as I've noticed you have the same bike.

I see the outer baskets being sold on ebay, so I know they come out of the bike somehow :confused:... They have springs in the backside.
I'm really not sure. I've never had the outer basket off either of my R6s. All I can say is check the shop manual.

Why are you inspecting it anyway?

motion pro clutch holding too, impact gun. just did a slipper clutch on my 03 this week. Have fun getting the cover back on!

There is a good video on you tube for 03-05 r6 clutch assembly, viewed it last year before replacing some clutch parts.

I'm really not sure. I've never had the outer basket off either of my R6s. All I can say is check the shop manual.

Why are you inspecting it anyway?

I've looked through the shop manual multiple times, all 434 pages. Nothing. Weird.

Having shuddering under mid-to-hard accel all gears. Not the normal clutch slipping. I've got new clutch springs and plates coming in tomorrow. I'm right there, I just want to inspect the springs on the back of the basket to get the warm and fuzzy that they are ok and not the issue with my shuddering. If I don't check, and that ends up being the issue, I'm gonna be an unhappy camper for not checking while I have everything apart.

There is a good video on you tube for 03-05 r6 clutch assembly, viewed it last year before replacing some clutch parts.

Yes I know the one you're talking about. Quite good instructional, other than they never take the clutch primary off.

Yes I know the one you're talking about. Quite good instructional, other than they never take the clutch primary off.

r6messagenet says to remove the oil pan. So I think you figured it out already, just gotta do it.

r6messagenet says to remove the oil pan. So I think you figured it out already, just gotta do it.

Thanks. I couldn't find any info on that site. I'll look again.

Edit - found it under a transmission rebuild thread. Aparently it's not simple to remove. Pan would have to be removed.

Last edited:
It may be different on the R6, but on my 03 GSXR600 the clutch basket came out once the center nut was removed with an impact gun. But I remember having a hard time pulling it out as it's a very tight fit on the axle. I doubt you'd have to remove the oil pan on the R6 that would be some complicated engineering I they designed it that way. Just lift the basket up and down a little and pull at the same time. This was my thread:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ear-After-Installing-T-R-E-Need-Help-ASAP-Pls

It may be different on the R6, but on my 03 GSXR600 the clutch basket came out once the center nut was removed with an impact gun. But I remember having a hard time pulling it out as it's a very tight fit on the axle. I doubt you'd have to remove the oil pan on the R6 that would be some complicated engineering I they designed it that way. Just lift the basket up and down a little and pull at the same time. This was my thread:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ear-After-Installing-T-R-E-Need-Help-ASAP-Pls

The clutch boss (inner basket) came out fine. I have a motion pro clutch basket holder tool to make removing clutches a breeze. It's the outer one with the dogs that is a B to get out. I fiddled with it a little more this eve, and decided to leave it for now. I'll put the new clutch plates and springs in and test bike out. Hope that fixes the shuddering. If not - back to scratching my head..

It should lift right out, but there's a gear on the back with a chain that attaches to the oil pump.

1999-YAMAHA-R6-CLUTCH-CLUTCH-BASKET-110979516283.jpg

What I'm assuming is you need to drop the pan, remove the oil pump and then chain off of the clutch primary, then it'll slide right off. I was just hoping there's a simpler way.

In the center of that picture, the piece with the two holes in it is a spacer, and around that (thin piece) is a roller bearing cage.

On a Fizzer, after the inner hub is removed, that spacer has to be pulled out of the bearing, and then the bearing has to be pulled out. Now, with the central spacer and bearing removed, you can off-center the clutch hub enough to disengage it from the gears in the back and get it off the shaft (and clear part of the crankcase). The clutch basket cannot be removed without first pulling that central spacer out. The reason it has two threaded holes in it with nothing in them, is so that you can thread in a pair of screws and use those to pull the spacer out.

A fizzer doesn't use a chain drive to the oil pump, but I betcha with a bit of creativity, after you have pulled the spacer and bearing out to allow the basket to be off-centered on the shaft, you can get that chain off, and you can probably get it back on again without having to do anything with the oil pan.

The clutch boss (inner basket) came out fine. I have a motion pro clutch basket holder tool to make removing clutches a breeze. It's the outer one with the dogs that is a B to get out. I fiddled with it a little more this eve, and decided to leave it for now. I'll put the new clutch plates and springs in and test bike out. Hope that fixes the shuddering. If not - back to scratching my head..

I was referring to the outer one too, and Brian reminded me of the reason it was hard to remove. It's the spacer and bearing in the centre that make it very tight on the axle

In the center of that picture, the piece with the two holes in it is a spacer, and around that (thin piece) is a roller bearing cage.

On a Fizzer, after the inner hub is removed, that spacer has to be pulled out of the bearing, and then the bearing has to be pulled out. Now, with the central spacer and bearing removed, you can off-center the clutch hub enough to disengage it from the gears in the back and get it off the shaft (and clear part of the crankcase). The clutch basket cannot be removed without first pulling that central spacer out. The reason it has two threaded holes in it with nothing in them, is so that you can thread in a pair of screws and use those to pull the spacer out.

A fizzer doesn't use a chain drive to the oil pump, but I betcha with a bit of creativity, after you have pulled the spacer and bearing out to allow the basket to be off-centered on the shaft, you can get that chain off, and you can probably get it back on again without having to do anything with the oil pan.

That makes total sense. Pulling that spacer out should give enough slack to get the chain off the back. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom